Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Battery day thread 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No "one more thing" moment. The S plaid was just there to annoy Lucid with marginally better performance. Still, the tabless bigger batteries, the almost there dry electrode and battery as part of the chassis structure seem like pretty exciting developments that should see the light of the day in the next 12 months. We'll probably see all this in the CT first.

The only thing I didn't get: if your batteries are part of the chassis, and your battery fails. What happens to the car?

... the tabless bigger batteries, the almost there dry electrode and battery as part of the chassis structure...

The only thing I didn't get: if your batteries are part of the chassis, and your battery fails. What happens to the car?

i don't think battery being part of the chassis is a good thing, now the battery case will be deflecting under chassis loads. perhaps damaging battery.

seem like the heat in batteries is just from current flowing down a buss to the tab, not from the chemistry.

new subframe to replace battery....

What did you all get out of the presentation with regard to residential energy? I was a bit surprised Powerwall didn't come up at all.

1. No V2G for current fleet in North America, even with external inverter. Elon basically said the current Tesla connector is incapable of it. Discounted the concept as well. I think he's laser focused on driving down cost, and adding V2G would add cost to the vehicles, while undercutting their static storage market. That, and I think Elon actually had a good point about reliability. Your virtual powerplant isn't very reliable if 90% of it can drive off at any random time.

2. Maybe what was said about battery chemistry and manufacturing will eventually apply to Powerwall? Maybe an LFP cell could help drive down Powerwall cost, at the expense of weight/size? But as far as we know, Tesla will continue to use Panasonic NMC cells for Powerwall for the foreseeable future?

EDIT: This slide did actually touch on Powerwall: https://twitter.com/aaronglz23/status/1308534002001866763?s=09

It falls into the "Nickel + Manganese" Long Range category. Maybe storage capacity + longevity upgrades?

Last edited:
They claimed to be “unlocking” up to a 54 percent increase in the range for Tesla vehicles and energy density for its energy products like the Powerwall. (A battery’s energy density describes its capacity to do work given its weight or volume.)