Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people buy this monstrosity?
Just a couple months ago. I was in Yachats and wanted to head east. Didn’t have enough charge to get home. There is a Supercharger in Lincoln City and an Electrify America charger in Newport. The nearest Supercharger east or South is 60 or 100 miles away respectively. There are a fair number of places which are similarly poorly served at the moment (Tesla is installing a SuC in Newport soon).

1663794357470.png

Is it Bare In Mind Or Bear In Mind? Which is correct?

"The phrase is correctly written “bear in mind,” though many, many people confuse it with “bare in mind.” The reason for the confusion isn’t very clear, except perhaps that many of us associate “bear” with the ursine mammal, and can’t understand why you would want a “bear” in your mind to represent remembering something.

You can bear a cost, bear a responsibility, bear a child, and bear an emotion. A tree can bear fruit. You can bear yourself with poise, or bear left to change direction."

I know, OT, OT, OT...
Hmm...

I always though it was about having an open mind. I am "Bare in Mind, it's a clean slate".

Or perhaps a "Barren Mind".

Or I might see an attractive person "Bare In Mind". Mmmm.

This is why I just say "Keep in Mind" 🏰 and picture a mental fortress.

Reactions: MitchMitch
  • Love
Reactions: phantasms
Oh great, now he's pissing off the vegans. /s
Actually, yes, Elon is pissing off everyone who is aware of just how much animal ag works in direct opposition of Tesla's mission. Frankly, with many of his recent Tweets he's gone off the rails--I have lost low 7-figures due to his antics over the past months.

For those without any knowledge of this (and that's the vast majority, even here on TMC) here's a clue: you cannot be an environmentalist or truly support Tesla's mission if you're still consuming animal flesh.

So why not be a part of the solution by not just investing in TSLA, but also supporting the reason Tesla exists in the first place? (Starting with you Elon. Jeesh. What has gotten in to you lately?!?)

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

See many other damning facts at:

www.cowspiracy.com/facts

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

This looks suspiciously wrong.

Quick google search shows based on EPA data, 27% GHG emissions came from transportation. 2020 data.

1664907090467.png

Not that I'm against reducing agriculural GHG, but it's not necessary to spin numbers to convince people.

Actually, yes, Elon is pissing off everyone who is aware of just how much animal ag works in direct opposition of Tesla's mission. Frankly, with many of his recent Tweets he's gone off the rails--I have lost low 7-figures due to his antics over the past months.

For those without any knowledge of this (and that's the vast majority, even here on TMC) here's a clue: you cannot be an environmentalist or truly support Tesla's mission if you're still consuming animal flesh.

So why not be a part of the solution by not just investing in TSLA, but also supporting the reason Tesla exists in the first place? (Starting with you Elon. Jeesh. What has gotten in to you lately?!?)

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

See many other damning facts at:

www.cowspiracy.com/facts

This is simply untrue.

I am a vegetarian, no longer vegan due to health issues (I know, right?).

Attacking people for eating animal flesh or cheese is a complete dead end.

Also, don't make perfect the enemy of good. I've significantly reduced my red meat intake since learning about the environmental impact. I technically still consume animal flesh, and you're suggesting I can't be a true supporter of Tesla's mission because of this. Whatever.

Quick google search shows based on EPA data, 27% GHG emissions came from transportation. 2020 data.

View attachment 859945

Not that I'm against reducing agriculural GHG, but it's not necessary to spin numbers to convince people.
And of the 11% agriculture, over half is fertilization/ land management.

Agricultural activities — crop and livestock production for food — contribute to emissions in a variety of ways:
  • Various management practices on agricultural soils can lead to increased availability of nitrogen in the soil and result in emissions of nitrous oxide (N2O). Specific activities that contribute to N2O emissions from agricultural lands include the application of synthetic and organic fertilizers, the growth of nitrogen-fixing crops, the drainage of organic soils, and irrigation practices. Management of agricultural soils accounts for just over half of the greenhouse gas emissions from the Agriculture economic sector.*
  • Livestock, especially ruminants such as cattle, produce methane (CH4) as part of their normal digestive processes. This process is called enteric fermentation, and it represents over a quarter of the emissions from the Agriculture economic sector.
  • The way in which manure from livestock is managed also contributes to CH4 and N2O emissions. Different manure treatment and storage methods affect how much of these greenhouse gases are produced. Manure management accounts for about 12% of the total greenhouse gas emissions from the Agriculture economic sector in the United States.
  • Smaller sources of agricultural emissions include CO2 from liming and urea application, CH4 from rice cultivation, and burning crop residues, which produces CH4 and N2O.
* Management of croplands and grasslands can also lead to emissions or sequestration of carbon dioxide (CO2). These emissions and removals are included under the Land Use, Land-Use Change, and Forestry sector.
Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emissions | US EPA

View attachment 859945

The US generates the most emissions per capita in the transportation sector. When looking at global emissions, agricultural activities generate more GHG than transportation.

global_emissions_sector_2015.png

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and JRP3
As a lifelong member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) My preference is to avoid being grilled about giving up meat. The teeth in my mouth tend to indicate that I'm an omnivore, and my taste buds consistently support this as well. I like gnawing on jerky while watching the TSLA ticker every now and then. Though I have reduced my consumption of beef, nobody is talking me out of bacon!

FWIW, I'm not opposed to alternatives like lab-grown meat, if that helps, as long as the ingredients, flavor, and texture are comparable.

I expect to spend some of my TSLA earnings on meats of the natural or unnatural variety for the balance of my existence. I do like fresh veggies too. Though I probably should lower consumption of taters, corn products, rice, pasta, and so on.

Last edited:

Possibly you're arguing US and he's arguing world-wide?

That's from 2014 IPCC and shows AG much higher than transport--- 24% for AG, 14% for transport...though AG there includes more than just animals for food

Reactions: navguy12 and JRP3
I just read the 10b5-1 rule and I found no restrictions on blackout periods for selling or buying securities. It looks like insider sales are legal in general as long as they're not made on the basis of material nonpublic information, which can be established for the courts if the transaction was performed pursuant to a plan specifying the amount, price, and date of the transaction before the person learns the material nonpublic information.

I'm not a lawyer and this is the first time I've actually read this regulation.

Yup