Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observation about paint, film and ceramic coating on white M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my white Model 3 P+ for just over a month now. When I went to take it for PPF, the shop found issues that required I send the car back to Tesla for paint fixing. One area on the hood and another on the roof. I just took it back for film and they completed everything but those two areas which will need a month to cure before they can finish those. They also did the ceramic coating. Okay, so here’s my point. Unlike Model 3s with color, the white is so boring! I have seen some great photos of cars that had the PPF completed with the coating. I can’t even tell mine was done! Hell, the most exciting part was the tint because I can at least tell something was done. Idk. After paying over 5k, I had just hoped I would notice. My point is that for those of you who have not picked your car yet, GET SOMETHING WITH COLOR! I live in a desert area so white is preferable in that respect but since I now have the ability to condition the inside before driving, that’s not such a big deal. Just my .02

I’ve had my white Model 3 P+ for just over a month now. When I went to take it for PPF, the shop found issues that required I send the car back to Tesla for paint fixing. One area on the hood and another on the roof. I just took it back for film and they completed everything but those two areas which will need a month to cure before they can finish those. They also did the ceramic coating. Okay, so here’s my point. Unlike Model 3s with color, the white is so boring! I have seen some great photos of cars that had the PPF completed with the coating. I can’t even tell mine was done! Hell, the most exciting part was the tint because I can at least tell something was done. Idk. After paying over 5k, I had just hoped I would notice. My point is that for those of you who have not picked your car yet, GET SOMETHING WITH COLOR! I live in a desert area so white is preferable in that respect but since I now have the ability to condition the inside before driving, that’s not such a big deal. Just my .02

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed in the white. I wonder if there could be some modest variation in the pearlescent metallic content from early to late M3. Ours (IMHO) looks great, esp. with ceramic coating (DIY with Amazon product with great results for one tenth the cost). Doesn't attract quite the attention of the red, which just screams "TICKET ME". We also have a midnight silver one too that hasn't been ceramic coated yet and where the stock wheels have to go. This picture is pre-ceramic.
_DSC7212_DxO-1.jpg

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed in the white. I wonder if there could be some modest variation in the pearlescent metallic content from early to late M3. Ours (IMHO) looks great, esp. with ceramic coating (DIY with Amazon product with great results for one tenth the cost). Doesn't attract quite the attention of the red, which just screams "TICKET ME". We also have a midnight silver one too that hasn't been ceramic coated yet and where the stock wheels have to go. This picture is pre-ceramic.View attachment 359557

How much did all the equipment cost to DIY ceramic coating?

I wonder if there could be some modest variation in the pearlescent metallic content from early to late M3. Ours (IMHO) looks great, esp. with ceramic coating (DIY with Amazon product with great results for one tenth the cost).

Tesla Rocklin has a Pearl White Multicoat Model X on the showroom floor and you can't see the Pearlescent metallic part unless you are really close to the car. From 2 or 3 feet away it looks like it's just a solid white.

Was it hard to see the "Flash" when you ceramic coated your Pearl White Multicoat 3 ?? Looks like you did an awesome job !!!

I am on the fence about the color as well and I often switch back and forth between the black and blue paint color. I just have to remind myself that I chose white for a reason, which is, it will look awesome when I have it stealth wrapped =)

That is the reason I did XPEL Stealth on my white P3D. Also, consider doing a chrome delete. It looks great on white, you'll be more excited about it than the tint

Exactly the look I'm going for. Except the chrome delete area's will be done with Gloss Metallic Black Vinyl for a contrast to the stealth. I don't know whether I want to black out the handles or have them white though. I like both looks.

Reactions: mal_tsla
R
Exactly the look I'm going for. Except the chrome delete area's will be done with Gloss Metallic Black Vinyl for a contrast to the stealth. I don't know whether I want to black out the handles or have them white though. I like both looks.
The only place I’ve seen any Tesla’s together is at a supercharger but I must disagree and say the white is the nicest. It should have a bit more flake in it but it is sophisticated looking.

Reactions: Amudar

I went with black door handles because it would be hard to match the look of the rest of the "white" since it is pearl white + stealth film and has a unique look. I felt that if I went with white they would always look like "I'm trying to match the car but not really" whereas black is just black.

On the black vinyl, for me it seemed the gloss would be fingerprint-y/hand-oil-y on the door handles (just like the chrome was) and so I went with more matte/satin black, and then the rest of the chrome is just matching against that.

Reactions: Olds442
I went with black door handles because it would be hard to match the look of the rest of the "white" since it is pearl white + stealth film and has a unique look. I felt that if I went with white they would always look like "I'm trying to match the car but not really" whereas black is just black.

On the black vinyl, for me it seemed the gloss would be fingerprint-y/hand-oil-y on the door handles (just like the chrome was) and so I went with more matte/satin black, and then the rest of the chrome is just matching against that.

Yeah, gloss does attract finger prints for sure. I think I'm going to go with gloss anyways, and just be mindful of how where I am touching the vehicle lol

That is the reason I did XPEL Stealth on my white P3D. Also, consider doing a chrome delete. It looks great on white, you'll be more excited about it than the tint

View attachment 359860View attachment 359861View attachment 359862
Your chrome delete....did you go with satin? I thought about flat but it’s just to dull for me. I was thinking about glossy but was told that it can scratch easy and the gloss fades. I think the satin would be a good compromise. How much did it cost? I’m being quoted $800 from a shop that has only done one other Tesla. I’m thinking about going to RPM Tesla in SoCal. That is, if they ever return my email, lol.

I originally went with flat black on the door handles but it didn’t look right against the white gloss of the paint. I thought about white door handles but was concerned that dirt from hands would discolor it over time. Finally went with satin black and they look great.