Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY gives cheaper electric rates to Tesla competitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
I haven't seen this article from Electrek discussed anywhere on TMC. New York is setting lower electric rates for DC fast charging to encourage adoption of EVs, but for the stations to be eligible for the lower electric rates they have to connect by CCS or CHAdeMO:
https://electrek.co/2019/03/06/tesla-discriminated-cheaper-electricity-supercharger-new-york/

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the lower electric rates are for cars sold by the auto dealer cartel but not for Teslas. /s

The comments on the Electrek article are all about the relative merits of the standards vs. Tesla connector, without anybody noting this is an obvious political favor by the governor-appointed board to benefit the auto dealers. At least in Texas when the legislature passed an EV rebate and wanted to exclude Tesla it specified the cars had to be sold in the state (by dealers), rather than trying to obscure their favor to the auto dealer cartel by citing the type of DC connector needed.

Reactions: Tedkidd
In my area it's 39 cents, more than supercharging. The stand has a chademo adapter, but that means 50kw. At that speed it should be cheaper, particularly with abundant 8kw charging for free.

I'm hoping they'll change it to a lower price to increase use of these stations. Soon we will have CCS adapters (already in Korea) and I'd like to have access to those stations from time to time.
Screenshot_20220407-121418.jpg
Screenshot_20220407-121943.jpg