Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dave, thanks for the reply, but i think what I wrote was not clear. I realize that the pad size is smaller in the rear so innermost portion of the disk near the hat is not in contact at all. My question was only about the portion of the disk that is in contact with the pads. The inner half of that area is more shiny than the outer half. On the other cars with the custom rotors that I have observed, the contact area appears uniformly shiny.

Ah, I misunderstood. I would guess this has to do with the 'Blacktride' finish and it has a different appearance as it wears depending on the specific way the caliper clamps. Is it the same on both rear wheels? Did your installer grease the sliding bolts when he swapped the pads on the back?

Most brake shops don't and won't lube your brake pins and any contact points that can eventually bind or cause the brake pad / caliper from evenly sliding back. I lube the pins and any metal to metal contact points that slide with the brake pad (metal backing plate), etc. Most likely they didn't lube yours.... Why? Because its not their own car :)

Also if you happened to get dirt or grit picked up that somehow stuck to the pad, that will cause it to wear more in certain areas...

I don't think Steve answered Dave's question if this happens with the other rear brake / wheel or just with the one you took a pic of.

It doesn't look like anything to truly worry about and appears to only be cosmetic.

So, Dave has 7 confirmed folks who would like to be part of the Group Buy for updated rotors & pads for their Roadsters.

He needs 20 to start the process of building and providing the rotors.

A number of folks in this thread can attest to the improved stopping distance with these brake rotors.

Anyone else interested in better brakes on their cars?

I have already added my name to his list.

Reactions: wiztecy
slcasner,
Did you talk with the installer?
I finally got my car back to the installer (to replace the TPMS sensors) and asked them to explain the wear pattern that I see. The answer was that the pads surface is beveled when new such that the portion that contacts the rotor further out on the radius actually has less area in contact than the portion closer to the center. While the wheel was off, he had me look at the pads. Especially on the smaller rear pads there was an easily visible gap between the narrow edge of the pad and the rotor. Sorry, I should have taken a photo.

I've driven only about 3500 miles since the rotor and pad installation, of which a good portion is freeway driving including two 1200 miles in two trips to Santa Barbara. And I tend to minimize friction braking in favor of regen as I am driving.