Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Novated Leases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm about to enter into a NL with SGFleet (they were the only provider available through my employer) and would really appreciate if someone could answer a few questions I had. For reference, this is for a M3 RWD and I've just received financing approval, so nothing signed just yet.

1. what is the delivery process like with SG Fleet particularly? The sales person I spoke with mentioned I have to pay the deposit ($400) myself, and then send sgfleet the invoice/receipt Tesla sends back. How does this work? When I'm paying the deposit, will I be entering in my details, or the SGfleet's details? How does the deposit refund happen after I've taken delivery?
2. what is the approx timeline of events that need to happen before I can take delivery of the vehicle? What would be my role in each step?
3. what is the current approx wait time for a M3 RWD? On the website it suggests 1-2 months but that seems sus af

Extra:
4. thoughts on white on white spec?

ty :)

Reactions: jq371
Hi All,

I'm about to enter into a NL with SGFleet (they were the only provider available through my employer) and would really appreciate if someone could answer a few questions I had. For reference, this is for a M3 RWD and I've just received financing approval, so nothing signed just yet.

1. what is the delivery process like with SG Fleet particularly? The sales person I spoke with mentioned I have to pay the deposit ($400) myself, and then send sgfleet the invoice/receipt Tesla sends back. How does this work? When I'm paying the deposit, will I be entering in my details, or the SGfleet's details? How does the deposit refund happen after I've taken delivery?
2. what is the approx timeline of events that need to happen before I can take delivery of the vehicle? What would be my role in each step?
3. what is the current approx wait time for a M3 RWD? On the website it suggests 1-2 months but that seems sus af

Extra:

I just started a lease (with Maxxia)

The refund comes back to you from Tesla after you take delivery. My refund happened about a week after I had the car.

As for how which the delivery is - that friends on Tesla and their stock. We’ve all had different ranges - mine took 3 months from the day I ordered to the day I took delivery - ordered 1 Dec and delivery 2 March.
You’ll have some paperwork going back and forward - and Tesla likes to change their final invoice - by the time I got my car I was on “final invoice 15” - and with each change of invoice comes different paperwork from your NL. It can be a bit tedious but just keep going they’ll adapt your lease to match it.

Also just a side note, check your insurances.
My NL had quite a few insurances I didn’t want so I got rid of those. And their main comprehensive insurance was $3200 a year and I found my own for $1600 with better conditions - so don’t be afraid to tailor it to how you want it

Hi All,

Extra:

You order the car and pay the $400 order fee.

Once you get the invoice for final payment, you send to lease provider.

Lease provider will set up lease and pay Tesla for the car (includes the $400 order fee).

You pick up car, and a few weeks later, Tesla sends you a refund of the $400 to your payment card.

White on white is cool and bright, and I love it.

Reactions: AussieOwner
I just started a lease (with Maxxia)

The refund comes back to you from Tesla after you take delivery. My refund happened about a week after I had the car.

As for how which the delivery is - that friends on Tesla and their stock. We’ve all had different ranges - mine took 3 months from the day I ordered to the day I took delivery - ordered 1 Dec and delivery 2 March.
You’ll have some paperwork going back and forward - and Tesla likes to change their final invoice - by the time I got my car I was on “final invoice 15” - and with each change of invoice comes different paperwork from your NL. It can be a bit tedious but just keep going they’ll adapt your lease to match it.

Also just a side note, check your insurances.
My NL had quite a few insurances I didn’t want so I got rid of those. And their main comprehensive insurance was $3200 a year and I found my own for $1600 with better conditions - so don’t be afraid to tailor it to how you want it
Where did you get insurance at $1600 from if you don’t mind me asking?

The Telstra Australia novated lease process is terrible. Way back I made the mistake of buying (not a Telsa) and I had to basically project manage the car dealer, the novated lease provider and the finance group together. It took weeks.

Sadly it is the same with Tesla where you have to buy the car and then stitch together all the parties to pay cheques, provide invoices etc. Spent two weeks and because Tesla Australia people are so unempowered (apparently) will be weeks more before I can collect a Tesla.

The Telstra Australia novated lease process is terrible. Way back I made the mistake of buying (not a Telsa) and I had to basically project manage the car dealer, the novated lease provider and the finance group together. It took weeks.

Sadly it is the same with Tesla where you have to buy the car and then stitch together all the parties to pay cheques, provide invoices etc. Spent two weeks and because Tesla Australia people are so unempowered (apparently) will be weeks more before I can collect a Tesla.
Uh?
You said the process was bad non Tesla, yet Tesla themselves are also the problem?

:/?

The process works like this.

At about the same time you apply for your lease, and order your Tesla.
Providing the financial checks are in order, they sign off on the finance pending a Tesla availability - the final payment process should take 48-72 hours (business hours if course) to hit Tesla to allow the car delivery or pickup to proceed.

What part of that process didn’t go right for you?

Tesla could easily make it a lot easier by allowing the NL provider to be your agenda in the process. I'm guessing because NL is a particular Australian thing they could care less about making a good process. For those whose order has gone well no worries, but as soon as it goes off the rails then there is noone around who can do anything to push it through (like the traditional car sales shop where you can 'see the manager'). Don't get me started on ordering a 2024 and then the invoice the car allocated is 2023 - can't be fixed, doesn't match the NL order, welcome to cancel your order etc (if you order again you might get a 2024, even if you select 2024, maybe not so sorry). PS lost your $400.

Reactions: jq371
I wouldn’t want my NL provider to be an agent when ordering a Tesla.
Their role is to deal with the employer novation and finance details, insurances etc.

It would be a nightmare having to go thru them whenever you need to deal with anything else for the term of novation.

It’s not the same as buying a car thru a car yard, if you expect it to be I can see why it would be frustrating.

Reactions: Jules22
I wouldn’t want my NL provider to be an agent when ordering a Tesla.
100% I can get that some NL providers may make it more difficult than others, and I had to be very firm with mine and tell them to pay up even though they wanted to wait for a confirmed delivery date.

I prefer that than not knowing anything and having all comms between the NL and Tesla. Just means you may have to be slightly more proactive with the NL company.

Reactions: dronus
The process works like this.

At about the same time you apply for your lease, and order your Tesla.
Providing the financial checks are in order, they sign off on the finance pending a Tesla availability - the final payment process should take 48-72 hours (business hours if course) to hit Tesla to allow the car delivery or pickup to proceed.

What part of that process didn’t go right for you?
I’m leasing my Model 3 through Maxxia
I recently got a second lease for my spouse to have a Fiat 500e to drive
every time I’ve had to lease a vehicle - this is the sixth, since 2005 - there seems to be ever-more-opaque stuff going on that delays the process
I put a deposit on the car in early December, car was at the dealer within a week
finally took delivery late February, with much to and fro in between
it actually felt at times like no-one other than the very cheerful and obliging sales person wanted us to have the lease

I’m leasing my Model 3 through Maxxia
I recently got a second lease for my spouse to have a Fiat 500e to drive
every time I’ve had to lease a vehicle - this is the sixth, since 2005 - there seems to be ever-more-opaque stuff going on that delays the process
I put a deposit on the car in early December, car was at the dealer within a week
finally took delivery late February, with much to and fro in between
it actually felt at times like no-one other than the very cheerful and obliging sales person wanted us to have the lease
Yet another big cross for Maxxia. I’m hearing less and less positives the more I read about them.

Thankfully for me I had the choice of Leaseplan and Orix. I went Orix. Cannot fault them one iota so far.

Yet another big cross for Maxxia. I’m hearing less and less positives the more I read about them.

Thankfully for me I had the choice of Leaseplan and Orix. I went Orix. Cannot fault them one iota so far.
I have had a few cars leased thru maxxia over the years and they have been excellent.
The whole process was easy, the staff friendly, integration with employer seamless and the app and claims process very easy too.
I’ve also had leases thru other companies who all had their pros and cons but I have found maxxia to be the best so far.

Reactions: Jules22
Hey all, What a great thread! I have normally not bothered with novated lease, preferring a normal car loan (asset purchase with balloon). The main reason is that I use my car 90% for work, so could claim all of the costs back and this was cheaper than the high costs associated with a notated leasing. However, I am now a bit stumped with buying my Tesla, as there are good benefits with FBT exemption. Can I ask, how do the lease companies account for ongoing costs, as there is no fuel, no services, minimal wear on Tyres, ie there is so much less cost. Under these circumstances, do you think a novated lease is a good option, or pay the FBT and do a normal loan depreciating the car at 90% business use?