Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal PEM temp while charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Logticom

2010 Roadster | 2015 Model S | 2019 Model 3
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2018
Zwolle The Netherlands
What is the normal PEM temp while charging?
(230 V / 16A)

I did a PEM clean the day before yesterday.
(I will give an update about that in an other thread soon)

And today I noticed that the rear blower keeps running while charging.
And I don't think the car did that before the PEM clean.

PEM temp while charging is aprox 41C.
(Outside temp is aprox 20C)
Any other thoughts are also welcome.

What is the normal PEM temp while charging?
(230 V / 16A)

I did a PEM clean the day before yesterday.
(I will give an update about that in an other thread soon)

And today I noticed that the rear blower keeps running while charging.
And I don't think the car did that before the PEM clean.

PEM temp while charging is aprox 41C.
(Outside temp is aprox 20C)
Any other thoughts are also welcome.
In my experience the fans always run while charging, even when it's cold outside. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes before it starts. 41C is pretty normal for the PEM while charging at 20C ambient. I think your car is acting normal.

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest
It's 80 degrees here in So Cal...I drove for 45 mins to work about 70 mph the entire time. The is roadster is now parked and for over an hour the rear fan/blower is still going. Never had this happen before. During my drive the PEM temp was a bar away to hitting yellow. Is this normal for the fan to keep running? Should I be concerned. It had it's annual service 2 months ago before I purchased it--but I'm not sure if they cleaned the PEM or not.

It's 80 degrees here in So Cal...I drove for 45 mins to work about 70 mph the entire time. The is roadster is now parked and for over an hour the rear fan/blower is still going. Never had this happen before. During my drive the PEM temp was a bar away to hitting yellow. Is this normal for the fan to keep running? Should I be concerned. It had it's annual service 2 months ago before I purchased it--but I'm not sure if they cleaned the PEM or not.

That’s completely normal. Here in Texas, the PEM temps are almost always 41C to 49C in the summertime, which puts the temp bar in the furthest blue next to the yellow. It has never traveled into the yellow zone before.

The fans will run until they deem the PEM healthy enough to calm down.

1.5 hrs seems kind of long for just the PEM. Mine seems to change temps pretty quickly, up or down, depending on circumstances, and even with the temps in the upper 90's it doesn't run for long.

The coolant pump will continue to run until the battery temp gets down to 30C or thereabouts, but that's not cooled by the fan unless it gets really hot (and then, using the A/C).

You might pull the logs just in case there's a diagnostic in there that's not displayed on the screen. It seems a little odd to me. The annual service is primarily to clean out the debris that the car vacuumed up, and we thank you for doing your part to keep our roadways clean.

1.5 hrs seems kind of long for just the PEM. Mine seems to change temps pretty quickly, up or down, depending on circumstances, and even with the temps in the upper 90's it doesn't run for long.
I agree. If your rear fan really ran for 1.5 hrs then something is wrong. Are you sure it wasn't the coolant pump you heard? Was your car charging? Just because you had the annual service 2 months ago doesn't mean your fan and or PEM is not clogged.

A related question that I think was answer by DeedWest response. It's sunny out, clear skies, 93F. I'm running around doing chores on roads at 40-60mph, sitting at stoplights in the sun, ending up at Home Depot parking lot where I find a spot under a shade tree (unusual). PEM temp is 50C (last blue bar) when I park and head into Home Depot. Coming back 20m later, PEM temp is 35C.

Per DeedWest note earlier, this sounds like normal operation at those outside temps, but he didn't mention how hot it is there. (I bought #543 last year with the great assistance of DeedWest, and have put about 10000 miles on it since then, smiling the whole time).

I did annual service a couple of weeks ago, but didn't think to ask the SC if checking / cleaning PEM parts was included. They weren't able to figure out how to fix the TPMS (after three attempts).

Just looking for a bit of confirmation that 50C PEM temp is normal for 93F sunny day and driving around at 40-60mph.

Last edited:
A related question that I think was answer by DeedWest response. It's sunny out, clear skies, 93F. I'm running around doing chores on roads at 40-60mph, sitting at stoplights in the sun, ending up at Home Depot parking lot where I find a spot under a shade tree (unusual). PEM temp is 50C (last blue bar) when I park and head into Home Depot. Coming back 20m later, PEM temp is 35C.

Per DeedWest note earlier, this sounds like normal operation at those outside temps, but he didn't mention how hot it is there. (I bought #543 last year with the great assistance of DeedWest, and have put about 10000 miles on it since then, smiling the whole time).

I did annual service a couple of weeks ago, but didn't think to ask the SC if checking / cleaning PEM parts was included. They weren't able to figure out how to fix the TPMS (after three attempts).

Just looking for a bit of confirmation that 50C PEM temp is normal for 93F sunny day and driving around at 40-60mph.

The annual service does include a PEM cleaning, which is the main benefit to performing the service. As for the temperatures, in 90+ degrees with stoplights and low-speed driving, it’s completely normal to be around 50C. In fact, the lower speed stop & go at traffic lights raises the temps. The PEM is air-cooled, so naturally, air flow is diminished unless at higher speeds.

Reactions: AtAge19
I agree. If your rear fan really ran for 1.5 hrs then something is wrong. Are you sure it wasn't the coolant pump you heard? Was your car charging? Just because you had the annual service 2 months ago doesn't mean your fan and or PEM is not clogged.

My mistake - I think I skimmed over the running for 90 minutes aspect of that first post. I’ve seen mine stay on for 10-15 minutes at the most after a hot drive (and not charging), but never that long.

I agree with @hcsharp’s question. Check if it’s just the coolant pump.

Reactions: AtAge19