Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla Service Center wheel alignment questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a lot of you say “find a good shop to do the alignment”. How do you find those who know (reallly know and not just say they do) handle teslas.

Best bet is to find the local car clubs that can give a recommendation. Especially the ones that track their cars and need really tight and specific alignment specs. The shops that do those kind of alignments know what they are doing.

Reactions: Matsayz
a lot of you say “find a good shop to do the alignment”. How do you find those who know (reallly know and not just say they do) handle teslas.

you need to call or go in person and talk to them. Sometimes you’ll find some car enthusiasts work at these tires shops and they know what can and cannot be done. Being an EV scares some people but it shouldn’t. It still has tires and wheels.

Once you find a place you NEED to give them a legit review and specify that they did work on your Tesla and are knowledgeable

3991894F-309D-411C-8CE5-16D279B620DD.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Just go to a small alignment shop. Don’t waste your money at the big shops. A monkey can align a Tesla and virtually any other car. (Speaking as a guy who used to align cars). I love love love Hunter alignment machines. So I recommend a monkey who has one of those. Cheers
Firestone has a lifetime of the car alignnment deals at $180. One time alignment is about $110. I found a shop in the Bay Area, CA that has a highly experienced "master tech" who has done many alignments with Teslas, including Tesla X. I was also advised that I can order/buy the tires myself. I found
a great website called tirerack.com Apparently, this is excactly how many shops get their tires.. they get them UPS'd from tirerack. The Continental tires that come with the Tesla X are poorly rated and more expensive than Pirelli's according to the database that you can access. Super easy. They ask if you drive in snow, off-road, and mine were all no's and lower price was a high priority and so was longevity. They then provided me options of about 10 tires. You can then put them all side by side and compare each parameter of performance, price, etc... Although I'm a slow decision maker esp when I don't know much about tires, it was a no-brainer to choose a particular Pirelli because there is a rating system for each parameter provided. I'm so glad I didn't go to the SC and pay $2000 for 4 tires and an alignment. Instead, I'm paying under $1K for 4 tires (rear tires are about 50% more) and $180 for lifetime of alignments and tire rotation. This particular major box store has 2.5 or 3 star review on yelp, but it's not necessarily for this particular "master tech." Initially, I would have never taken a high-end car to anyone but a private shop. I couldn't find any that would do it after calling a dozen places with high reviews on yelp.

Firestone has a lifetime of the car alignnment deals at $180. One time alignment is about $110. I found a shop in the Bay Area, CA that has a highly experienced "master tech" who has done many alignments with Teslas, including Tesla X. I was also advised that I can order/buy the tires myself. I found
a great website called tirerack.com Apparently, this is excactly how many shops get their tires.. they get them UPS'd from tirerack. The Continental tires that come with the Tesla X are poorly rated and more expensive than Pirelli's according to the database that you can access. Super easy. They ask if you drive in snow, off-road, and mine were all no's and lower price was a high priority and so was longevity. They then provided me options of about 10 tires. You can then put them all side by side and compare each parameter of performance, price, etc... Although I'm a slow decision maker esp when I don't know much about tires, it was a no-brainer to choose a particular Pirelli because there is a rating system for each parameter provided. I'm so glad I didn't go to the SC and pay $2000 for 4 tires and an alignment. Instead, I'm paying under $1K for 4 tires (rear tires are about 50% more) and $180 for lifetime of alignments and tire rotation. This particular major box store has 2.5 or 3 star review on yelp, but it's not necessarily for this particular "master tech." Initially, I would have never taken a high-end car to anyone but a private shop. I couldn't find any that would do it after calling a dozen places with high reviews on yelp.
I replied to this post since this particular Firestone shop uses the Hunter alignment software, the same one used by Tesla from my understanding.

Just go to a small alignment shop. Don’t waste your money at the big shops. A monkey can align a Tesla and virtually any other car. (Speaking as a guy who used to align cars). I love love love Hunter alignment machines. So I recommend a monkey who has one of those. Cheers
My camber is off BUT there is no adjustment on my early 2018. I checked and I could not find a way to adjust. The could just do the toe in which was good.