Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Operation Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All--

I'm relocating overseas and need to put my car into long-term storage. It is currently registered in CA and will be stored in PA. I will file as non-op with CA when the registration is due at the end of this month.

Can I continue to register the car as non-op with CA even though the car is in PA and I am no longer a resident of CA? Or must I register it in PA?

--Paul

Hi All--

I'm relocating overseas and need to put my car into long-term storage. It is currently registered in CA and will be stored in PA. I will file as non-op with CA when the registration is due at the end of this month.

Can I continue to register the car as non-op with CA even though the car is in PA and I am no longer a resident of CA? Or must I register it in PA?

--Paul

Might want to reach out to the DMV for this one so you’re good to go legally. How long are you putting it in storage for?

I had a Mazda RX-7 in PNO status for a couple of years that it was in storage (blown motor; thought I would eventually get it going again but never did). If you file for PNO you are not supposed to move it on public roads. This includes towing it. You can get a one-day permit to move it but I think this assumes you're taking it to get it repaired. If you drive your car to PA and THEN get it registered as non-op, then I think you're okay under the letter-of-the-law. But as stated earlier, you're best best would be to contact the DMV and find out. AAA offices can do some of the DMV things so that might be easier if you ask there first; assuming you have AAA membership.

As to storing your car for three years, I'm hoping you'll have a way of keeping it charged and slightly moving it to avoid flat-spotting your tires.

TBH I’d sooner sell the car and just buy another if I found that I had to keep it stored for anything longer than a few months. I say this because some very interesting things can happen to a stored car, things that won’t be covered under any manufacturer warranty if it’s even in effect when you’re reunited with it.

Last edited:
That's probably good advice but I'm hopeful the general community will provide reasonable consensus without the misery and suffering involved with interacting with the DMV. At least three years I think, but could be longer.
Except the DMV would have the best and most accurate advice than people on this forum that think they know it all. At the end of the day, it's what the dmv /state says that matters, not us

Just saying.....

I had a Mazda RX-7 in PNO status for a couple of years that it was in storage (blown motor; thought I would eventually get it going again but never did). If you file for PNO you are not supposed to move it on public roads. This includes towing it. You can get a one-day permit to move it but I think this assumes you're taking it to get it repaired. If you drive your car to PA and THEN get it registered as non-op, then I think you're okay under the letter-of-the-law. But as stated earlier, you're best best would be to contact the DMV and find out. AAA offices can do some of the DMV things so that might be easier if you ask there first; assuming you have AAA membership.

As to storing your car for three years, I'm hoping you'll have a way of keeping it charged and slightly moving it to avoid flat-spotting your tires.

Thanks for the additional info. The car is already on its way to PA and will be there and in storage before its current registration expires. I don't expect it to need to driven on public roads since it will be on private property the whole time (plugged in BTW).

That sounds good. Assuming that the property is large enough, have somebody you trust (really well) to drive it around a bit once a week / couple of times a month. It'll help the tires, suspension and brakes.
Yes. If there’s anything about moving machines it’s that they decay much more rapidly than one would think when stationary for prolonged periods.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110