Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sound, no soul?

Will you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an interesting way of thinking of this question:

If regulations require us to have our cars make noise under certain conditions (e.g. low speed, in parking lots, near blind people, etc.), and we could choose that noise, how many would use the sound of some other car?

Thank you kindly.
personally, I'd go with the sound of a tuned Saleen Tesla Model S or a BMW i8 in EV-only mode.

Here is an interesting way of thinking of this question:

If regulations require us to have our cars make noise under certain conditions (e.g. low speed, in parking lots, near blind people, etc.), and we could choose that noise, how many would use the sound of some other car?

Thank you kindly.
I would not choose another car... I'd rather the car remained silent at all times... Those who are blind, but not deaf, typically have superb hearing anyway... Certainly better than those pedestrians who are staring at their mobile phones while wearing headphones... But if I had to choose a sound, this would do:

Every so often, I open up the taps and let my S2000 zing to its 9000 rpm redline. ... It gives the car 'character'.. as it's screaming its guts out for dear life at that high of an RPM.
I don't do this when there are many cars or people around. It is not to 'show off' or to prove a point to anyone. I do it on open and isolated roads, and simply for MY pleasure. ...
So, that makes me an AHole?

You do this as you say somewhere where it doesn't tend to annoy other people. Therfore I would say you like to indulge yourself now and again in some form of guilty pleasure - but in a reasonable way.

But I know people who do that - regularly - in residential areas, and on purpose exactly to annoy as many people as possible.
THAT kind is whom I would call an AHole.

Reactions: Red Sage
My previous car was an Audi S5, and one of the "mods" (stupid decision BTW) I had installed was an aftermarket exhaust. Let me tell you something: The "novelty" of the engine roar wears out quickly and to make matters worse, long trips were a pain due to drone issues. So to answer the question of brought forth in this thread: HELL NO, I will not miss the sound of the engine or the exhaust.....ever!

Reactions: Red Sage
My previous car was an Audi S5, and one of the "mods" (stupid decision BTW) I had installed was an aftermarket exhaust. Let me tell you something: The "novelty" of the engine roar wears out quickly and to make matters worse, long trips were a pain due to drone issues. So to answer the question of brought forth in this thread: HELL NO, I will not miss the sound of the engine or the exhaust.....ever!

Funny, that was something I planned to do to my S4 but never got around to it. The rationale was that the 4-cam 4.2 liter was such a lovely V8, why not let it speak out loud (emphasis on loud). Guess I missed a bullet there.

Reactions: CarlitoDoc
I outgrew adding noise when I was 8 years old.

6790fcc2da814fbf8a346f05a2a0dda7.jpg