Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No rear heated seats? [Incorrect: heated seats confirmed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never said it would a "paid upgrade". In fact, I said the exact opposite -- that it would be a "free" upgrade -- just not yet:

So please get my theory correct: It will be a "paid option" -- and a "free" upgrade. I said that because if the rear heated seats were activated now, Tesla couldn't make all that money off the Sub Zero package coming with AWD, which a lot of people will buy, especially in Canada, and Tesla needs cash bad.

Do people really think it's that's hard to flick a switch -- software speaking -- from a non software person -- who thinks that it can't be all that difficult to add the back heated seats to the UI way before now -- so there must be a reason for it being held back? If it's not activated to sell it as part of Sub Zero then please tell me your theory as to why it's not activated?

I am a software person, and it comes down to the whole development process. if Frank is working on the updated UI for the rear seat heaters and Terry is working on the actual controller code, but the feature is dependent on Nick, Pedro and Beebop finishing the power manager update on a wildly different project that is four weeks overdue, you don't just merge Frank and Terry's code into the current branch and call it good.

Think of it like Apple's iOS updates: if iOS 12 is going to bring a feature that, say, allows users to reconfigure the control center interface, but iOS 12 is delayed, you don't waste time and resources backporting the control center update into iOS 11… you just wait until iOS 12 ships.

I'd say chances are at least decent we won't see much in the way of small piecemeal updates for missing features in the short term, but rather we'll see a substantial update that changes a fair bit because they're all on the same major project.

Are you serious?? Buy her a nice pair of Gloves Mannnn!!!;)

Well, California guy, you do not know what you are talking about at all. Here in Middle Europe, we live 1/3 of a year in temperatures bellow zero. I can tell you that having heated steering wheel is as much if not more important than heated seats. I wish you experience driving 1/3 of a year with numb hands, you will soon not care about anything but how the hell get your hands warmer. I guarantee you will envy those guys with 20k$ cars with heated steering wheels, the overall luxury of the car without and without heated steering wheel is day and night, trust me. One of the most important upgrades you can have in a car. And no, gloves are not solution, maybe if you have some gloves with active heating :) The lack of heated steering wheel is the biggest gripe of TM3 for me and the reason I actually lately incline to Volvo more and more ( these guys know how to make drive comfortable in winter months for sure!)

Well, California guy, you do not know what you are talking about at all. Here in Middle Europe, we live 1/3 of a year in temperatures bellow zero. I can tell you that having heated steering wheel is as much if not more important than heated seats. I wish you experience driving 1/3 of a year with numb hands, you will soon not care about anything but how the hell get your hands warmer. I guarantee you will envy those guys with 20k$ cars with heated steering wheels, the overall luxury of the car without and without heated steering wheel is day and night, trust me. One of the most important upgrades you can have in a car. And no, gloves are not solution, maybe if you have some gloves with active heating :) The lack of heated steering wheel is the biggest gripe of TM3 for me and the reason I actually lately incline to Volvo more and more ( these guys know how to make drive comfortable in winter months for sure!)
You need to Move Buddy!!!:D

As a Californian who had the pleasure of living in the midwest for several years, I can speak from experience that it's difficult for a Californian to understand how cold things can get and how worthwhile heated things are, without experiencing it. ;) But a nice thing about an EV is that you can pre-heat the car before you step in.

As a Californian who had the pleasure of living in the midwest for several years, I can speak from experience that it's difficult for a Californian to understand how cold things can get and how worthwhile heated things are, without experiencing it. ;) But a nice thing about an EV is that you can pre-heat the car before you step in.

Very good point which is why I'm a little more forgiving of Tesla n this case.

Are you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell sometimes with print. In any event, I never said it would a "paid upgrade". In fact, I said the exact opposite -- that it would be a "free" upgrade -- just not yet:

I said that because if the rear heated seats were activated now, Tesla couldn't make all that money off the Sub Zero package coming with AWD, which a lot of people will buy, especially in Canada, and Tesla needs cash bad.

Do people really think it's that's hard to flick a switch -- software speaking -- from a non software person -- who thinks that it can't be all that difficult to add the back heated seats to the UI way before now -- so there must be a reason for it being held back? If it's not activated to sell it as part of Sub Zero then please tell me your theory as to why it's not activated?

For the same reason that wifi and summon and a configurable right scroll wheel aren't there, the software isn't ready yet. Why do you believe they will appear with a free software upgrade, but heated rear seats will be a paid upgrade? Not all that long ago the Model 3 didn't have automatic wipers, the ability to play songs off a usb stick or even FM radio. All those appeared for free.

I am a software person, and it comes down to the whole development process. if Frank is working on the updated UI for the rear seat heaters and Terry is working on the actual controller code, but the feature is dependent on Nick, Pedro and Beebop finishing the power manager update on a wildly different project that is four weeks overdue, you don't just merge Frank and Terry's code into the current branch and call it good.

Think of it like Apple's iOS updates: if iOS 12 is going to bring a feature that, say, allows users to reconfigure the control center interface, but iOS 12 is delayed, you don't waste time and resources backporting the control center update into iOS 11… you just wait until iOS 12 ships.

I'd say chances are at least decent we won't see much in the way of small piecemeal updates for missing features in the short term, but rather we'll see a substantial update that changes a fair bit because they're all on the same major project.

I will defer to your expertise but it still sure seems odd to me. Again, time will tell -- at least for me anyway. If they end up activating the rear seats after a sub-zero package is for available for purchase, and the rear heated seats are no longer free -- it will strike me as too odd of a coincidence to accept your explanation. But that's just me. I always follow the money and it usually leads to the answer -- usually, but not always.

For the same reason that wifi and summon and a configurable right scroll wheel aren't there, the software isn't ready yet. Why do you believe they will appear with a free software upgrade, but heated rear seats will be a paid upgrade? Not all that long ago the Model 3 didn't have automatic wipers, the ability to play songs off a usb stick or even FM radio. All those appeared for free.

Again, it won't be a paid upgrade (in my theory). It will come for free but not for new people once it becomes a paid option.

In my theory, everything else you mention has never been a paid option. It would be nuts to charge for the scroll wheel or usb stick compatibility (which has got much worse in my S with every update -- it worked best on V.6). As to wifi --- pay to play is coming. Musk's Starlink isn't a non-profit charity.

I will also add that being told how complex it is to activate the back seats in the software because of coordination issues among departments or people causes me even more concern with the tech world than I already have. It sounds similar to the excuses we see from them about why their platforms are a stage for the Russian government, conspiracy theorists, etc. I don't accept their excuses. Again, I say just follow the money to get the real answer -- or rather Rubels -- which the tech world gladly pocketed without question -- then blamed coordination issues -- the same excuse as being made here and also something I find difficult to accept at face value. Again, for me, it's all about the money.

Sorry to be wary of tech people's explanations or excuses. It's like hearing an argument from a lawyer -- you really need to hear the opposing argument before forming a proper opinion.

Last edited:
Not solution, watch movie “Wind river” what will happen to you when you try to go for jogging in -30 celsius :) There are more humane ways how to commit suicide :)

Bundle up warm and go for a snowmobile ride on a snow covered mountain -- which is what I am off to do this weekend -- and it's hard to feel any more alive.

But my snowmobile does have heated handles and even the thumb throttle is heated. It better be since -30C is not uncommon. Unfortunately, however, it is much less common because of climate change, which has allowed the pine beetle to devastate our forests when in the past -37C and below killed them off, especially when we used to have it hold for stretches of cold weather, unlike what is happening now.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
I will also add that being told how complex it is to activate the back seats in the software because of coordination issues among departments or people causes me even more concern with the tech world than I already have.
I would say it's less about complexity and lack of coordination, and more about priorities and not duplicating work. If Tesla is working on a large update that already includes rear heated seat control, then it doesn't make sense to spend the time duplicating that work to bring it out earlier. Tesla knows that there are issues with the UI in the Model 3 - if they are redesigning it to address those issues (the theory I'm leaning towards) then they probably aren't going to spend any time on things that require changes to the current UI.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte and Canuck
Heat

Attachments

• 37763030-BD6F-4B12-AACA-14DAE9384482.jpeg
    37763030-BD6F-4B12-AACA-14DAE9384482.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and brkaus
I actually wish they'd use numbers instead of squiggly lines. When looking at the screen in the 3, I couldn't tell how many squiggly lines were enabled. :( I shouldn't need reading glasses to see what heat setting they are on.
Why not both? I love bacon, but I also like the simplicity of a number. Why not have the number pop up anytime you tap and change it?