Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare situation with 2018 MX suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

It's been a long time since I've been on this forum, but the last events from the past 8 month forced me to publish something and ask for your advice. I'll try to do my best to keep this short and as clear as possible.

I got my MX in December of 2018 and as soon as I got it I was faced with the dreaded stutter issue. I think two years later, in January of 2020 I finally got the from suspension arms replaced (for the second time) with the good version that got rid of the stutter.

Later that year, I started having some loud noises on the front when going over bumps or when turning the wheel while parked. Tesla changed or oiled some suspension heads or something (I'm totally oblivious from all car things :D )

Last year, around summer, I started having some more noises. So in September 2022 they changed some parts in the rear suspension. Then, just before my warranty ended in dec of 2022, I brought the car in November because of some additional noises and they changed some parts to the front suspension.

When I got my car back, I still had the noises on the rear suspension, but because of Christmas time, a lot of other things on my plate, and me not being able to drop the car during that time, I made the mistake to wait till January 2023, so one month later to report it again.

Brought the car back and they told me: it is going to cost you 3k for the rear suspension and it is not covered. I was really pissed, try to explain the whole situation and that I believed it was still an issue under warranty and that it should be covered. They declined. To I didn't do the fix at that time and waited a couple of months.

Last month I had to change for a new set of all season tires because mines were starting to get used on the inside. My local tire shop told me that my rear suspension really needed to be serviced and that was possible the cause of the excess use.

Brought the car back to Tesla yesterday, told them about the issues again. The guy who took the car told me: "don't worry, if we find parts that are failing and that were previously replaced and under one year and 20k km, we'll change them at no cost"

Two hours later I received a quote for 7k$ to replace both front and rear suspension. The tech guy told me: "none of the parts were previously repaired"

This morning before approving the repair, I went through my old invoices and found that some common parts were repaired both for rear and front suspension and that it was before one year and less than 20k km.

When I told that to the tech guy, he just answered me: "part replaced under warranty are not covered at all, only new parts replaced after warranty, can you approve the reparation?"

Is this normal? Please help and advise.

Thanks!

Here are both fixes done in September and November 2022

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 108
Yes, I'm in Canada. And I haven't find any good independent EV shops around the Montreal area :(

Well, that is really a bummer if actually parts under warranty are not covered after the warranty. I mean, the second reparation was done a week before the end of warranty. They could have just done nothing (which I'm starting to consider was the case for some parts) or do a bad fix job.

There is definitely some additional warranty terms for repairs done at the end of warranty for most manufacturers. I just have no idea what it would be this case.

Edit: my other non-Tesla car had 90 days on some parts replaced under warranty. It looks like I was wrong and Tesla may not have any extension.

Last edited:
So just paid 7800$ to have both front and rear suspensions changed by Tesla.
Got the car back and still having noises when going over speed bumps and while turning the wheel when parked.
Am I right to say that this isn't normal or I am just crazy?

Reactions: rpo
I am livid. Really flabbergasted. The noise when turning the wheels when parked, are caused by the brakes rubbing against the pads when not engaged. If I press the brake pedal and turn, there is no more noise.
BUT, the tech also found that the suspensions were still doing a noise on the front. I just received the new estimate for 3k!!

IMG_1270.jpeg

What worries me the most is if I'm condemned with a bad car suspension design and that I'll have to pay again a 10-12K in 2? 4? 6years?
I can't be the only one experiencing those issues with 2018MX?

Price of ownership is not the dream advertised by Tesla no more. It makes me sad and mad.

I learned about Tesla’s warranty the hard way.
If you even get something fixed under warranty on the very last day of your warranty coverage period, and the same part goes bad the very next day (on the first day outside of warranty), Tesla will not cover it because you are no longer in the warranty period.
Yes I’ve fallen to this awful policy myself for rear camera and mcu replacement that was done less than a year prior to vehicle warranty expiration. 😡

I learned about Tesla’s warranty the hard way.
If you even get something fixed under warranty on the very last day of your warranty coverage period, and the same part goes bad the very next day (on the first day outside of warranty), Tesla will not cover it because you are no longer in the warranty period.
wow its almost as if the warranty covers a set period of time. Who would have thought it!