Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-Gen Rear Seat - Headroom?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it that on the Design Studio, the upgrade to the NG seats does not result in the rear seats changing?

This led me to believe the NG upgrade was for the front seats only. Did I get that wrong?
Clearly your photos show front and back are different.

They are front and rear for me. Maybe they couldn't adequately show the difference in the rear seats.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone find the NG seats too snug, especially if you are a widebody? I am 5'9" and 210lbs and if I was any heavier the sides on the back part of the seat would be too snug.

I could see how this might be the case. I feel they are a snug fit - in a very good way. I am 6' and 200 lbs.

Does anyone find the NG seats too snug, especially if you are a widebody? I am 5'9" and 210lbs and if I was any heavier the sides on the back part of the seat would be too snug.

I'm a slender guy, 5'11", 155 lbs, and they fit me perfectly. I was sliding in the old seats.
Even though you may feel differently, another member, spentan, who is much taller and bigger than me (I believe he's well over 200 lbs), commented that they felt fine for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is it that on the Design Studio, the upgrade to the NG seats does not result in the rear seats changing?

This led me to believe the NG upgrade was for the front seats only. Did I get that wrong?
Clearly your photos show front and back are different.

I ordered my car in October, when front and rear NG seats were an option, but Tesla delivered the car without them in December, due to a shortage.
They just installed them and I really like the added side support!
My kids comment that it is kind of weird to be slightly "wedged" into your place on the back seats, though.

My wife and I just noticed that we bump the backs of our heads on the rear seats (NG) without pano roof and we don't recall bumping heads in non-pano test drive models. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Maybe the intoxication of the test drive blurred our perceptions? I'm 6'2" but she's only 5'9". Would hate to have this end up being a dealbreaker and trading out for a Model X in a year.

My wife and I just noticed that we bump the backs of our heads on the rear seats (NG) without pano roof and we don't recall bumping heads in non-pano test drive models. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Maybe the intoxication of the test drive blurred our perceptions? I'm 6'2" but she's only 5'9". Would hate to have this end up being a dealbreaker and trading out for a Model X in a year.

Getting the pano alters the roofline and you get about 1.5" more headroom in the backseat as a result.

I have next gen and executive rear seats, and no pano roof.

I am 6' 2", and find the rear headroom uncomfortably tight. I would not like to be in the back of some other P85D with the same configuration for anything longer than a few minute's drive.

Some time ago I read on a forum that the pano roof gave a bit more headroom, but can't say if this is true. I didn't order the pano, as I will never be in the rear seats of my car.

The pano roof does provide significantly more headroom front and rear. I am 6'2". I do not have pano in my 2013 S (before Next Gen seats, I cannot provide info about them). I am fine in the front, have at least 2" to spare above me. In the rear I have to slump slightly. I don't care since I do not sit in the rear. I'm driving!