Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New temporary mobile chargers popping up at various existing US locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Tesla is adding V3 chargers along side existing V2 chargers at several of my stops recently. Locations that currently had 8 V2 chargers in places like Kingsland Ga and Santee SC, Tesla is installing an additional 3 V3 stalls. No one was using the new chargers because they still had caution tape around them. I plugged in at one location because it was full and voila, they were online. Soon a couple other cars followed. Wonder if this is something Tesla is going to do across the country. I don’t remember reading about the expansion to older locations.

Before you celebrate your car's ability to V3 fast charge for now, remember Tesla can throttle your charging speeds any time it wants if it detects your battery might give out before the warranty expires, and they won't tell you about it. And they're doing it a lot.Tesla is crippling supercharging speeds for thousands of older cars.

My 85 won't charge over 60 kwh anymore thanks to a stealth software update from Tesla. Now supercharging to 100% takes literally hours because in addition to capping top speed, the taper for the last 10% is agonizingly slow. You won't read about that in the Tesla press releases touting V3 chargers.

Last edited:
I’m from the north, one place had several wrapped in plastic on a skid. So this must be what they are doing but like I mentioned, how come no has reported on it. I just downloaded this picture from ChargeHub and it shows a couple but there is another V3 on the other side along with the original V2 stalls.

Attachments

• 8C133E6A-A91C-4007-9D30-4C9E795C851B.jpeg
    8C133E6A-A91C-4007-9D30-4C9E795C851B.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 88
I’m from the north, one place had several wrapped in plastic on a skid. So this must be what they are doing but like I mentioned, how come no has reported on it. I just downloaded this picture from ChargeHub and it shows a couple but there is another V3 on the other side along with the original V2 stalls.
Those pictured are 72kW Urban Superchargers, not V3 Superchargers. Palletized Urban Superchargers are a common way for Tesla to expand the sites.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I was pleasantly surprised to see Tesla is adding V3 chargers along side existing V2 chargers at several of my stops recently. Locations that currently had 8 V2 chargers in places like Kingsland Ga and Santee SC, Tesla is installing an additional 3 V3 stalls. No one was using the new chargers because they still had caution tape around them. I plugged in at one location because it was full and voila, they were online. Soon a couple other cars followed. Wonder if this is something Tesla is going to do across the country. I don’t remember reading about the expansion to older locations.

I just passed through Kingsland GA and Santee S.C. two days ago (Wednesday December 11, 2019) and did not see any charging stalls that looked like the picture you attached. Wonder if they were installed the day after I passed through.

What charge rate did you get? Was it more than 120kW?

I just passed through Kingsland GA and Santee S.C. two days ago (Wednesday December 11, 2019) and did not see any charging stalls that looked like the picture you attached. Wonder if they were installed the day after I passed through.

What charge rate did you get? Was it more than 120kW?
I was still at half capacity when I plugged in and left once it started to charge as I went for lunch. The person beside me thought they were V3 chargers. A couple young lads at another location told me the same thing. I had never seen one of these new ones before and thought okay if they are adding to the existing V2 chargers it would only make sense they were V3. So obviously I have erred in my thinking they were V3 chargers and are actually urban chargers which I had never seen before. Sorry for the confusion. Well any expansion is welcomed.

Reactions: TFCooper3
I was still at half capacity when I plugged in and left once it started to charge as I went for lunch. The person beside me thought they were V3 chargers. A couple young lads at another location told me the same thing. I had never seen one of these new ones before and thought okay if they are adding to the existing V2 chargers it would only make sense they were V3. So obviously I have erred in my thinking they were V3 chargers and are actually urban chargers which I had never seen before. Sorry for the confusion. Well any expansion is welcomed.

Neither Kingsland nor Santee have urban chargers (72kW chargers). They are regular V2 superchargers.

Before you celebrate your car's ability to V3 fast charge for now, remember Tesla can throttle your charging speeds any time it wants if it detects your battery might give out before the warranty expires, and they won't tell you about it. And they're doing it a lot.Tesla is crippling supercharging speeds for thousands of older cars.

My 85 won't charge over 60 kwh anymore thanks to a stealth software update from Tesla. Now supercharging to 100% takes literally hours because in addition to capping top speed, the taper for the last 10% is agonizingly slow. You won't read about that in the Tesla press releases touting V3 chargers.
My 2013 P85 is throttled, but with a low enough SOC (less than 20 rated indicated miles) the car will start charging at a rate as high as 127kw (depending on location, weather, etc) but it starts to drop within 1 minute. By the time the car has about 150 miles on it the charge rate is down to about 49kW, and it continues to drop thereafter.

My battery was voltage capped, resulting in a loss of 31 miles of range. The time to charge from 206 miles (my new indicated 89% SOC) to 226 miles (my new 99% SOC, my car will no longer charge to 100%, and sometimes it only charges to 97/98% SOC) takes as much, if not more time than to charge from 20 miles to 206, making it not worth charging beyond 89% SOC unless you really need the range to reach your next charging location (which I have needed at various times).

So the ones in the picture from Santee are V2 chargers you say? So one person says they are urban chargers (after looking them up they appear to be urban) and you say they are regular V2 chargers.

When I was there they were all V2 superchargers with labels of 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. shared chargers. The pedestals for urban chargers look nothing like the V2 or V3 supercharger pedestals, and they are not shared chargers. V3 (250 kW) superchargers can be distinguished from V2 (150 kW max) superchargers by their thinner, fluid cooled charge cable.