Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SMET2 meter but no signal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a new SMETS 2 meter fitted last week by EON Next (ex-Symbio customer) and no matter what he did with the aerial, he couldn't get a signal for it to register.
We live in rural Herefordshire & although get an OK'ish signal with 3 Mobile, O2 is non existant. I believe they use O2 for the comms part.

In the end the engineer just put the old 'dumb' meter back on & said tough luck.

Obvs I would like to join Octopus & their EV tarriff.

Any ideas if I have any options?

EON Next are akin to a chocolate fireguard WRT info on smart meters but the DCC talk about Dual Comms Hubs (DCH) which sound a bit more hopeful than 'tough luck'!

You may be able to get an external antenna run up high enough to get a signal, but it depends on whether you can get EON to fit one. Otherwise you're basically out of luck.

The meters are supposed to be meshed as well (so if your neighbours can get a signal you can relay through their meter) but if the whole area hasn't got a signal you're likely to be too far for anything to reach.

One supplier refused to even fit a smart meter at my house after doing a survey and saying the "WAN was unstable". I asked what the fix was and they were like wait until its been improved. See you never.
I looked into it and it seemed that SMETS 1 used the mobile networks but in most places SMETS2 use a separate network, its like a mobile signal but a separate low bandwidth network I think. which they call the WAN ( wide area network)
If there was no signal where you are you were basically screwed. no workaround no other option. I switched to Octopus. They came and installed a SMETS2 and it's been fine but I could not find a solution if it turned out I was in your position.
That was a couple of years ago. Things might have changed I guess

Cr@p. isn't it? You'd think such a system would have the option of linking though to the house wifi internet router or at least the option of a roof aerial default. Same problem here in rural Wales...no signal anywhere near the house yet Tesla Ranger was able to get one by sticking a simple aerial on his car roof. Since that worked you can bet one stuck on the top of the chimney would be excellent but it's not an option or the meter.

There are two networks - southern (Telefonica, mostly using mobile poles and since they own O2 coverage will be pretty similar) and northern (Arquiva, a separate network with its own coverage).

You're either one or the other depending on where you are.

For the southern network, a comms unit with an external antenna is available, but most suppliers won't supply it AFAIK. For the northern network no such option exists.

Also https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/48...48-comms_hub_product_range_v13_2017-06-26.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
Not practical for most...

But if you are a business, or can buy via one, O2 still sell a signal booster box. It gives an O2 signal, via broadband, for those in the southern half of the UK where the meters do use this.

Unfortunately, the network's don't sell (or are ending sale) to retail customers.

Historically this was a sneaky way to get a signal and hence the meter could connect.

We have no mobile signal on any of the networks where we live in very ruralAberdeenshire, having to rely on wifi calling. I eventually agreed to getting a SMETS2 meter fitted by EDF as I was fed up with them pestering me, knowing full well that it wouldn’t be able to communicate. Even the engineer who came to fit it said he was pretty sure it wouldn‘t work but between us we agreed to go ahead as even if it didn’t work we would be no worse off than with the existing dumb meter. Blow me down after fitting it connected straight away and has been working ever since, sending half hourly reading and showing a pretty strong signal. No idea what network it is using as we have tried them all with our mobiles - just wish our phones could use that network!! I do believe that in Scotland there is a special network for smart meters but I’m still very surprised ours works.

One supplier refused to even fit a smart meter at my house after doing a survey and saying the "WAN was unstable". I asked what the fix was and they were like wait until its been improved. See you never.
I looked into it and it seemed that SMETS 1 used the mobile networks but in most places SMETS2 use a separate network, its like a mobile signal but a separate low bandwidth network I think. which they call the WAN ( wide area network)
If there was no signal where you are you were basically screwed. no workaround no other option. I switched to Octopus. They came and installed a SMETS2 and it's been fine but I could not find a solution if it turned out I was in your position.
That was a couple of years ago. Things might have changed I guess
In our area SMETS2 isn't possible apparently so you need a SMETS1 ... except electricity suppliers are not supposed to install SMETS1 any more. When I joined Octopus in 2019 they were harvesting older SMETS1 meters from elsewhere that were compatible with their network so installed a secondhand meter for me that has worked fine ever since ("Secure" brand).

In our area SMETS2 isn't possible apparently so you need a SMETS1 ... except electricity suppliers are not supposed to install SMETS1 any more. When I joined Octopus in 2019 they were harvesting older SMETS1 meters from elsewhere that were compatible with their network so installed a secondhand meter for me that has worked fine ever since ("Secure" brand).
SMETS1 use mobile networks SMETS2 in your area are probably the dedicated WAN and that may not exist where you are which would explain it. That was plan B for me if the SMETS2 had not worked in 2019. Too late for that option now I should think

Reactions: Adopado
They won’t even try to install a smart meter where I am because of no signal. Telefonica are trying to expand the coverage as a local planning application for a new mast mentions the request is based on smart meters even though most locals would welcome a mobile signal and not appose the mast, in fact quite the opposite

They won’t even try to install a smart meter where I am because of no signal. Telefonica are trying to expand the coverage as a local planning application for a new mast mentions the request is based on smart meters even though most locals would welcome a mobile signal and not appose the mast, in fact quite the opposite

We've had an increase in LTE coverage for mobile data due to the change in the way the emergency services radio coms are done nowadays. They used to have a dedicated microwave system in the valley but now it piggybacks on conventional mobile data from the same masts that benefit everyone. I think that's also how SMETS1 works but not SMETS2 ... they went the opposite way (but how could they hope to cover the entire country with a dedicated radio data network?)

We've had an increase in LTE coverage for mobile data due to the change in the way the emergency services radio coms are done nowadays. They used to have a dedicated microwave system in the valley but now it piggybacks on conventional mobile data from the same masts that benefit everyone. I think that's also how SMETS1 works but not SMETS2 ... they went the opposite way (but how could they hope to cover the entire country with a dedicated radio data network?)

Yes, from what I understand Vodafone and O2 (Telefonica) share a frequency band and have a partnering agreement so share some elements of the masts, SMETS2 using Telefonica mean any investment for smart bubbles over to O2 and potentially Vodafone. EE and Three share a different frequency so different masts etc. if they did want to share although I’m not sure they do EE have the emergency services contract and so have the same benefits of one investment supporting the two business lines albeit it largely seems to be outdoor coverage

Scottish Power declined to even consider a SMETS 2 meter due to "insufficient signal" at my postcode.
4.5 miles from Salisbury Cathedral, but on the "wrong" side of the hill.
If this is the best that can be done, unless power costs stabilise I think I may well go back to ICE and forget the "carbon neutral" fantasy.
I'll wait until later in the year, but I'm not optimistic.

The Tesla is brilliant, the UK power supply network in rural areas is not.

Not practical for most...

But if you are a business, or can buy via one, O2 still sell a signal booster box. It gives an O2 signal, via broadband, for those in the southern half of the UK where the meters do use this.

Unfortunately, the network's don't sell (or are ending sale) to retail customers.

Historically this was a sneaky way to get a signal and hence the meter could connect.
Thanks for this - wouldn’t you need an O2 account (& O2 mobile number) for the Boostbox to work? I’ve got one for 3 and deffo needed an account to get it working….!

Thanks for this - wouldn’t you need an O2 account (& O2 mobile number) for the Boostbox to work? I’ve got one for 3 and deffo needed an account to get it working….!

Yes as unfortunately nowadays it needs to be a business account.

It use to be much easier, but these signal boxes have gone out of fashion for retail because of WiFi calling.

I accept it's not practical for most, but it's the last glimmer of hope other than the network improving coverage.