Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. There is info in the MY forum since only MYP come with the matrix lights so much more demand to try to retrofit to new LR MY. No luck. Even with mobile tech I believe.
I couldn’t find any post in the MY forum that confirmed this. From what I can tell the connectors are the same at least. I ordered a pair of used matrix headlights that I want to test out. Would make my life easier if I can temporarily plug the lights into the car before removing the bumper as a test.

Reactions: Adam3
I couldn’t find any post in the MY forum that confirmed this. From what I can tell the connectors are the same at least. I ordered a pair of used matrix headlights that I want to test out. Would make my life easier if I can temporarily plug the lights into the car before removing the bumper as a test.

Sweet! Good luck, I look forward to your updates. I don't even drive at night much but it's fun to tinker haha.

I'm eager to find out too if the new style is backwards compatible. The epc.tesla website shows what appears to be the new style and old style headlights.

1631281601420.png

I'm eager to find out too if the new style is backwards compatible. The epc.tesla website shows what appears to be the new style and old style headlights.

View attachment 707484
The parts numbers shown below are the the left (LH) and right(RH) headlight. The older style and new style have the same part number from what I have seen. I am surprised there isn't more info on people trying this out since the lights are going for about $175 on ebay.

$175 for LED headlights?
Yes, $175 per side for "used" 2021 OEM matrix headlights. If you search ebay by the part number you will easily find them but confirm with the pictures and the seller that you are buying the one they are displaying in the picture. The matrix lights are made by Hella so you'll see that on the Tesla sticker on back of the light as well.

The parts numbers shown below are the the left (LH) and right(RH) headlight. The older style and new style have the same part number from what I have seen. I am surprised there isn't more info on people trying this out since the lights are going for about $175 on ebay.
Just came back from my local Tesla dealer and got my question answered. Tech there said the new style is not backward compatible with old style. Connector is different and there's an extra pin in the new style. To clarify, for example for the left headlight... 1077371-00-L is the old style. 1514952-00-C is the new style.

Last edited:
Hello everyone I have a 2022 MY LR which came with the “old” headlights. I ordered the matrix headlights off of eBay and took the car apart today. The connector was exactly the same just three wires on both the “old” and “matrix”. However, the headlights are not working at all now. I believe I need the software update others have been referring to. Hope this helps!

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC and Adam3
Hello everyone I have a 2022 MY LR which came with the “old” headlights. I ordered the matrix headlights off of eBay and took the car apart today. The connector was exactly the same just three wires on both the “old” and “matrix”. However, the headlights are not working at all now. I believe I need the software update others have been referring to. Hope this helps!
Thanks! Are you going to try and get them to code it or?

Try having your existing software reinstalled (can be done remotely). When the service center replaces electrical components, they generally reinstall the software after completing the work. Your other option is to drive close to a service center, put the vehicle in service mode, and start the software reinstall yourself through the service mode menu.

Interesting. Did you or can you take take pictures of the headlight socket from the old lights?

Reinstalling the software for your car will not help because it didn’t come with the matrix lights. You have to convince some one (Tesla service tech) to recode your car accounting for matrix headlights and then maybe have to do that every time there is a software update.
If a gateway configuration change is required, you shouldn't need to have a technician recode the vehicle every time there's a new software update. The challenge will be to convince the tech to actually make the configuration change as Mrbrock mentioned. On VWs this is very easy using a tool like VCDS, so I wouldn't expect it to be much of different process for Tesla other than the "convincing the tech" aspect.

• Helpful
Reactions: android04 and Adam3
Try having your existing software reinstalled (can be done remotely). When the service center replaces electrical components, they generally reinstall the software after completing the work. Your other option is to drive close to a service center, put the vehicle in service mode, and start the software reinstall yourself through the service mode menu.
How do I enter service mode? I’ll try to do this today!
If a gateway configuration change is required, you shouldn't need to have a technician recode the vehicle every time there's a new software update. The challenge will be to convince the tech to actually make the configuration change as Mrbrock mentioned. On VWs this is very easy using a tool like VCDS, so I wouldn't expect it to be much of different process for Tesla other than the "convincing the tech" aspect.
If the software update doesn’t work, this is the route I will go. Sucks the soonest appointment isn’t until the 18th