Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New cell phone app: Tesla Tattler --- works on all cell phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to help you make this a success. I think that I qualify on all requirements but the amounts of posts to TMC.

I have started to make an app like the one Fuzzylogic designed. My goal is to get SMS when the charging stop, for some bad reason. I would also like to get an SMS when charging current start to drop at the end of the charge.
During the software development I realized that it is not to difficult to make the app talk to a webbserver which could be used for all sorts of things. I already make graphs of charging (at home) by monitoring my UPS that supply the car.

ups1_2010-11-30.png

A graph like this says a lot. At first the battery is heated at about 8 amps and at the end charging is slower.

I have also learned the hard way that an app like this is very needed. I traveled 1000 km and was supposed to attend a rally with sport cars, only to discover that a breaker had stopped the charging during the night. Imagine my disappointment watching the other cars drive of...

I love it. I already get alarms and can view and control cameras at my business via my iPhone, so I have a strong interest in being able to monitor the status of my Tesla remotely. Two years ago my system warned me of a potential fire at my building after lightning hit in the neighborhood... I was on a road trip (Route 66) and it was 3AM, and I was able to wake up an employee to meet the fire truck and the building, although perfectly safe, was able to be inspected properly. And I had great peace of mind.

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer so I'll have to wait until there's enough support to get mine!

I'd like to help you make this a success. I think that I qualify on all requirements but the amounts of posts to TMC.
PM sent
I have started to make an app like the one Fuzzylogic designed. My goal is to get SMS when the charging stop, for some bad reason. I would also like to get an SMS when charging current start to drop at the end of the charge.
OK. I could send a message when the charging current drops to 90% of the Pilot.
I have also learned the hard way that an app like this is very needed. I traveled 1000 km and was supposed to attend a rally with sport cars, only to discover that a breaker had stopped the charging during the night. Imagine my disappointment watching the other cars drive of...
Yes. Me too. I was at a socal greenspeed Roadster drive in Pasadena with my GF. I plugged the car in at the Pearson's building and we walked over to the Gamble house for a tour. We return 3 hours later to find only 30minutes of charge!

I'm amazed Tesla doesn't have a group within their company that connects the car with our high-tech phones. It's so disappointing!

The sales manager from Switzerland at the Geneve Autosalon told me they are currently developing such an application for the Tesla Roadster. The release times however are not defined yet.

Tesla Tattler Demo Available

Will your app work on a Palm Pre Plus?
Yes. It should work with any SMS text capable phone. You can try the demo yourself. Text help to:

The demo tries to mimic the car. You can lock/unlock, start/stop a charge, change the mode, or ask the car where it is. You can also activate the charge monitor by typing monitor 1 minute and charge start The tattler will send you charge status updates every minute. But be sure to turn it off by sending monitor off

Command abbreviations are acceptable too. So monitor off is the same as mon off

Please PM any bugs you may find in the demo.

Disclaimer: By using this demo, you will be disclosing to me your phone number. The phone numbers are logged for debug purposes only. I will not contact you via this number unless you have previously given it to me. I will delete the logs on a regular basis (e.g monthly)

Last edited:
lowercase gps? doesn't work at all. I get responses for LOCK and lock but not Lock (syntax error).
Without the PIN we can't unlock it. It doesn't like mixed caps/lowercase, as usually delivered by an iPhone.

Sorry Zack, I was working on it while you were texting. It should work fine now... Any number will work for the pin. try 1234. The tattler is case insensitive, so GpS works as does gpS or Gps?

Last edited:
That's what I get for releasing a demo at 2am... Anyway, I reverted to my old driver (which is slower to respond). It's on-line now. If too many people access the demo at the same time, some messages will get dropped. But the syntax errors should be gone...

Last edited:
Can you set it to respond only when something "happens", e.g. charge complete, charge interrupted, etc. ?

Yes. The normal mode I run in is "monitor end". The tattler will send a start of charge message and a message when the charge stops or finishes (done). It will also send an alarm txt message if the alarm goes off. Eventually I'll add the VDS alerts to the notices the tattler sends (e.g Line frequency sync error).

Well, the message got there from GMail (what, SMS from something without a physical keyboard? Ha! ;-), but after a couple of syntax errors it stopped responding. I'm not sure what number GMail shows up as (probably my Voice number).

Can you get rid of the signature when you send SMS? [Edit: never mind, I fixed it... If the last line is a syntax error, I now ignore it. Your command was parsed, but the syntax error message over wrote your result. Try it again and it should work]

Here's what I got:
MAIN: From: "14xxxxxx325"
[GPS?
- [email protected]
]
GPRS: trying to send AT+CMGS="+14xxxxxx325"

***SEND RESPONSE
error: syntax error

+CMGS: 206

OK
***SEND RESPONSE

Last edited: