Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 install location/garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE

I have an upcoming appointment on 5/3 to install a Nema 14-50 outlet for the MY which should arrive in mid-May.

The radon gas pipe shows here is the area leading down into my basement area where the circuit breaker is which is around 30ft away from the garage. They are going to be bringing the wires up from the basement to this area of the garage.

If I park on the right side.....Where should I have them install the outlet exactly? In the middle of the garage, or is it ok to have them install it close to the radon gas pipe since the mobile charging cable is long enough(20ft) to reach to the MY?

Height
Should it be installed approximately the same height as the Tesla plug in port which is around waist length, lower or higher?

A few things to consider, the charging port on the Tesla Model Y is located at the rear quarter panel on the driver's side. This favors backing into charging spaces and garage parking. If you don't want to have to back into the garage to charge the Tesla determine if the length of the charging cord on the Tesla Mobile Connector and also the Tesla Wall Connector will meet your needs. The actual length of the Tesla charging cord is only 18 ft. The rest of the claimed 20 ft length is taken up by the power plug and the Mobile Connector chassis. (In my case I was unable to use the Tesla Mobile Connector due to the limited length of the charging cord. Instead I use a non-Tesla EVSE and the Tesla J1772 adapter. My AmazingE Fast 32A EVSE (sold by ClipperCreek) has a 14-50 power plug and a 25 ft. charging cord. My 14-50 receptacle was installed several years ago when I had a different plug-in vehicle. I absolutely need the additional 6 or 7 feet of charging cord to be able to reach the charging port on the Tesla.)

Local electric codes will apply to your install but in my garage the 14-50 receptacle had to be installed at least 4ft above the floor. Also, to protect the wiring conduit or mc (metallic clad wire) may be required. If the electrician brings the wiring to the 14-50 receptacle from below the receptacle you could ask that the 14-50 receptacle be turned 90 degrees to the left so that the round ground pin is at 9 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. This would make it easier to install the 14-50 power plug for the Mobile Connector or any 3rd party EVSE equipped with the 14-50 plug. In almost all cases the 14-50 power plug provided is very short. The electrical code does not specify the orientation of the receptacle except when installed in a hospital. The middle of the wall (left to right) is probably the most logical place for the 14-50 receptacle and the Mobile Connector or other EVSE. If you ever plan to park, charge using the left side of the garage as long as you back into the garage then the charging cord will definitely reach.

Last edited:
Reactions: zandroj and 1plavs
A few things to consider, the charging port on the Tesla Model Y is located at the rear quarter panel on the driver's side. This favors backing into charging spaces and garage parking. If you don't want to have to back into the garage to charge the Tesla determine if the length of the charging cord on the Tesla Mobile Connector and also the Tesla Wall Connector will meet your needs. The actual length of the Tesla charging cord is only 18 ft. The rest of the claimed 20 ft length is taken up by the power plug and the Mobile Connector chassis. (In my case I was unable to use the Tesla Mobile Connector due to the limited length of the charging cord. Instead I use a non-Tesla EVSE and the Tesla J1772 adapter. My AmazingE Fast 32A EVSE (sold by ClipperCreek) has a 14-50 power plug and a 25 ft. charging cord. My 14-50 receptacle was installed several years ago when I had a different plug-in vehicle. I absolutely need the additional 6 or 7 feet of charging cord to be able to reach the charging port on the Tesla.)

Local electric codes will apply to your install but in my garage the 14-50 receptacle had to be installed at least 4ft above the floor. Also, to protect the wiring conduit or mc (metallic clad wire) may be required. If the electrician brings the wiring to the 14-50 receptacle from below the receptacle you could ask that the 14-50 receptacle be turned 90 degrees to the left so that the round ground pin is at 9 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. This would make it easier to install the 14-50 power plug for the Mobile Connector or any 3rd party EVSE equipped with the 14-50 plug. In almost all cases the 14-50 power plug provided is very short. The electrical code does not specify the orientation of the receptacle except when installed in a hospital. The middle of the wall (left to right) is probably the most logical place for the 14-50 receptacle and the Mobile Connector or other EVSE. If you ever plan to park, charge using the left side of the garage as long as you back into the garage then the charging cord will definitely reach.
Interesting, do you have a pic of how yours looks when you have it plugged in. I only ask because here it looks ok to me when it’s plugged in at 12 o’clock.

1617373748649.jpeg

I never knew that outlet should be installed at 9 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock because why exactly does it make it easier? I plan on mounting the chassis (Cable Organizer)
so that it doesn’t hang and add weight.

Other than length what is the advantage of using the AmazingE Fast 32A EVSE vs the included Tesla mobile connector?

Other than length what is the advantage of using the AmazingE Fast 32A EVSE vs the included Tesla mobile connector?
As far as utility the AmazingE Fast 32A EVSE is can be used with any EV or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. Every other manufacturer, except for Tesla, uses the J1772 connector. In the future I could use this setup to charge any EV. As far as the brand, AmazingE is ClipperCreek's answer to the onslaught of off-shore manufactured EVSE, especially from Asia. The AmazingE uses a circuit board manufactured by ClipperCreek. The AmazingE Fast 32A is assembled in Mexico. I have used ClipperCreek EVSE since 2016. The quality is very high and ClipperCreek has lived up to their reputation for excellent customer service. The warranty on the AmazingE Fast 32A is 3 years, same as the ClipperCreek main product line (the most well known is the HCS series of EVSE.)

Interesting, do you have a pic of how yours looks when you have it plugged in. I only ask because here it looks ok to me when it’s plugged in at 12 o’clock.

View attachment 650252
I never knew that outlet should be installed at 9 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock because why exactly does it make it easier? I plan on mounting the chassis (Cable Organizer)
so that it doesn’t hang and add weight.
Your installation works with the 12 o'clock orientation because the receptacle is mounted flush within the wall. In my installation the 14-50 receptacle is surface mounted on a brick wall with the wiring entering from the top of the junction box. If the wiring had entered from the bottom of the junction box then the conduit would be in the way of mounting the EVSE and still being able to plug into the receptacle. Here is a photo.

Attachments

• AmazingE Fast 32 Installed.jpeg
    AmazingE Fast 32 Installed.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 195
Your installation works with the 12 o'clock orientation because the receptacle is mounted flush within the wall. In my installation the 14-50 receptacle is surface mounted on a brick wall with the wiring entering from the top of the junction box. If the wiring had entered from the bottom of the junction box then the conduit would be in the way of mounting the EVSE and still being able to plug into the receptacle. Here is a photo.
Got it! Looks good. Thanks for the clarification.
I’m debating whether or not I should keep a charging cable inside the vehicle or not. I will normally charge in my garage and for that reason I’m going to use the included mobile connector. When I charge away from home I’ll be using free PlugShare locations and Supercharger locations.

Last edited:
Any real benefit of going with the Wall Connector over the Nema 14-50 route? I placed an order for the WC and then learned about the Nema option after. Tried to cancel the order but it ended up getting shipped.
A few current benefits, some future benefits.

Current benefits:

1) No plug, cleaner install that is fully sealed for use indoors or outdoors in all weather conditions.
2) Can use 2 wires instead of requiring 3 wires, plus ground wire so you would save 1/3rd the cost per foot for the wire run.
3) No separate GFCI required on the circuit if the Wall Connector is hard wired as intended. Since the National Electrical Code (NEC) was updated in 2017 new 14-50 receptacles require a GFCI circuit breaker when used for EV charging. These cost approx. $100 US.
4) Can be configured on a 60A circuit. When installed on a 60A circuit the Wall Connector enables charging at up to 48A. Else if installed on a 50A circuit the Wall Connector would enable charging at up to 40A. (The Tesla Mobile Connector is limited to 32A whether installed on a 40A or a 50A circuit. The corded Mobile Connector has a fixed 14-50 plug and supports charging at up to 40A.)
5) As a permanently installed EVSE as opposed to one that plugs in the Wall Connector qualifies for a US federal tax credit of up to $1000 or 30% of the cost of installing the circuit and charging equipment in a home. (See IRS form 8911.)

Future benefits:
1) Load sharing so two or more Wall Connectors will be able to be installed on a single circuit. (This will require as yet unreleased Tesla firmware update for the Wall Connector.)
2) Tesla has indicated that the Wall Connector could support direct billing (Again, this would require Tesla to release a firmware update for the Wall Connector and would require an internet connection and WiFi. This is most applicable to commercial installations such as a B&B, hotel or parking garage.

Limitations:
1) The charging cord is only 18 ft long. For maximum utility, IMHO, an EVSE charging cord should be 24/25 ft.
2) Firmware updates require an internet connection and WiFi (Note: WiFi/internet access is not required for initial configuration, only over the air updates.)
3) The face plate of the Wall Connector is made of glass. Seriously, who else but an EV company that sells vehicles with a glass roof would do this? Meanwhile, in another dimension, a major EVSE manufacturer has a video that demonstrates that the aircraft grade plastic used in their EVSE housings is so tough you can hit it with a wooden bat. (In the video the wooden bat actually splintered when used to bash the EVSE housing while the EVSE remained undamaged!)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MikeC
5) As a permanently installed EVSE as opposed to one that plugs in the Wall Connector qualifies for a US federal tax credit of up to $1000 or 30% of the cost of installing the circuit and charging equipment in a home. (See IRS form 8911.)
Where exactly on form 8911 do you see the distinction between permanently installed or not?

Apart from that, it's almost trivial to take the Wall Connector with you in case you move. And also you could argue that if you buy a mobile connector explicitly for charging at home that it's permanently installed. Of course it would all come down in the end how 'permanently installed' is defined...

I believe that it follows the interpretation of what qualifies as refueling property. I am not a tax advisor. In the past I know that an electrical circuit and a receptacle (such as a 14-50) did not qualify as alternate fuel vehicle refueling property. (Only the government could come up with a term like that.) The circuit and the receptacle would be considered structural components. An EVSE with a plug does not qualify because it is not considered permanently located at the point (location) where the vehicle is charged.

Qualified Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property​

Qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property is any property (other than a building or its structural components) used for either of the following.
  • To store or dispense an alternative fuel (defined below) other than electricity into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle propelled by the fuel, but only if the storage or dispensing is at the point where the fuel is delivered into that tank.
  • To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged.

Last edited:
Got it! Looks good. Thanks for the clarification.
I’m debating whether or not I should keep a charging cable inside the vehicle or not. I will normally charge in my garage and for that reason I’m going to use the included mobile connector. When I charge away from home I’ll be using free PlugShare locations and Supercharger locations.
If you use the Mobile Connector for your daily charging you should leave the Mobile Connector plugged in. Most 14-50 receptacles are not designed for repetitive plugging and unplugging.

I keep my Mobile Connector in my Model Y and after almost a year I have still not used it.( I think I tested the Mobile Connector using the 5-15 plug adapter but I'm not certain.) I did purchase a Tesla J1772 adapter to have a second J1772 adapter to keep in the Model Y. I use the J1772 adapter when I charge my Model Y using a free public charger. Most days I charge my Model Y for 60 to 90 minutes @ 6kW to maintain the Model Y battery at around 80%.

If you use the Mobile Connector for your daily charging you should leave the Mobile Connector plugged in. Most 14-50 receptacles are not designed for repetitive plugging and unplugging.

I keep my Mobile Connector in my Model Y and after almost a year I have still not used it.( I think I tested the Mobile Connector using the 5-15 plug adapter but I'm not certain.) I did purchase a Tesla J1772 adapter to have a second J1772 adapter to keep in the Model Y. I use the J1772 adapter when I charge my Model Y using a free public charger. Most days I charge my Model Y for 60 to 90 minutes @ 6kW to maintain the Model Y battery at around 80%.
That's what I figured. At first I thought having a second mobile connector might be a good idea but whenever I drive the location will already have a way to charge it without it.

That's what I figured. At first I thought having a second mobile connector might be a good idea but whenever I drive the location will already have a way to charge it without it.
Apps such as Plugshare, A Better Route Planner (ABRP) and even Google Maps can help you to locate public charging stations. Other than as your primary home EVSE the Tesla Mobile Connector is most useful when camping or staying at friends, family where you won't be doing a lot of driving and may have 24 hours or longer to charge. Even if all you have to use for charging is the 5-15 receptacle and 8 amps so as not to overload the circuit that is roughly 72 miles of EV driving added in 24 hours.

I would not suggest purchasing the whole set of Gen2 Mobile Connector power plug adapters as you would probably only end up using the 5-15 adapter that comes in the Mobile Connector kit and one other adapter (14-50 for charging at campgrounds that offers RV parking spaces with 14-50 receptacles, maybe the Travel Trailer 30A (TT-30) plug adapter that is the other common camper/motor home power option. (Tesla does not sell a TT-30 power plug adapter for the Mobile Connector but you can purchase a TT-30 adapter from EVSEAdapters.com

Apps such as Plugshare, A Better Route Planner (ABRP) and even Google Maps can help you to locate public charging stations. Other than as your primary home EVSE the Tesla Mobile Connector is most useful when camping or staying at friends, family where you won't be doing a lot of driving and may have 24 hours or longer to charge. Even if all you have to use for charging is the 5-15 receptacle and 8 amps so as not to overload the circuit that is roughly 72 miles of EV driving added in 24 hours.

I would not suggest purchasing the whole set of Gen2 Mobile Connector power plug adapters as you would probably only end up using the 5-15 adapter that comes in the Mobile Connector kit and one other adapter (14-50 for charging at campgrounds that offers RV parking spaces with 14-50 receptacles, maybe the Travel Trailer 30A (TT-30) plug adapter that is the other common camper/motor home power option. (Tesla does not sell a TT-30 power plug adapter for the Mobile Connector but you can purchase a TT-30 adapter from EVSEAdapters.com
An electrician will be installing a 14-50 on 5/3. Overall I just plan on using the included mobile connector and I’ll have to purchase this piece as well to plug into the mobile connector which then plugs into the receptacle. Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

The mobile connector and Gen 2 Nema adapter will be permanently plugged into the 14-50 outlet. I know that I can purchase 3rd party chargers or a Tesla wall connector(which most Tesla owners don’t buy for the pure fact of price) , but for now until I see a reason to upgrade this should work just fine unless there’s a downside to it.