Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help - bought 2017 model S at auction then found out no Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2017 Model S 100D with 12,000 miles today at an auto auction through a buddy that owns a dealership (the car won’t be in my possession for 7 days as it is being shipped). I was so excited to get my first Tesla I almost crapped my pants when I won the bid... Then, I found out that I don’t have any autopilot functionality according to Tesla ☹️ (the auction didn’t have any detailed on autopilot - I think I still got a decent enough deal without autopilot...). I’m trying to figure out what my options for autopilot are now. The production date on the inside of the door shows 10/17. Does this mean I definitely have HW 2.5? What are my options in terms of what autopilot functionality I can get with my hardware version and what costs would there would be for each? I called Tesla customer support and the girl that I spoke with told me that I either had AP1 or AP2. I am pretty sure that she is wrong so I don’t have a lot of faith in talking to Customer Service to get answers. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

...either had AP1 or AP2..

Model S / X got HW2.5 as of 8/2017 so you do have HW2.5.

...What are my options in terms of what autopilot functionality I can get with my hardware version and what costs would there would be for each?...

Theoretically, you can buy both Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving options over-the-air.

However, since you got your car from an auction, you might need to negotiate with Tesla to get the privilege to pay for them.

I give up on the prices. They are all over the places.

The old post-delivery prices were:

Enhanced Autopilot $7,000

Full Self Driving $5,000
-------------------------------------
Total $12,000

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Model S / X got HW2.5 as of 8/2017 so you do have HW2.5.

Theoretically, you can buy both Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving options over-the-air.

However, since you got your car from an auction, you might need to negotiate with Tesla to get the privilege to pay for them.

I give up on the prices. They are all over the places.

The old post-delivery prices were:

Enhanced Autopilot $7,000

Full Self Driving $5,000
-------------------------------------
Total $12,000
Wow. Then I am screwed if it is that expensive...

Wow. Then I am screwed if it is that expensive...

They did have a March madness fire sale.

To get an idea of the prices: as of 5/3/2019, Short Range Model S Post Delivery prices were $5,000 + 8,000 = $13,000
(Pre-delivery prices were $3,000 + 6,000 = $9,000)

I think Tesla has paused post-delivery price penalty but I am not sure.

Pre-delivery for your car: $5,000 + $3,000=$8,000

Don't leave us hanging! What kind of deal did you get for the car??
I paid $70K at auction. I thought i was pricing my bid in case it didn’t have autopilot but I though it was highly likely that it did as I haven’t ever seen a 100D for sale with at least basic autopilot. I talked to a more competent person today at Tesla and am told that I would get Enhanced Autopilot on this vehicle for $6K. All in at $76K is probably a mediocre deal...

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
How do you know that it doesn't have Autopilot if you haven't even seen the car yet in person?
In speaking with a Tesla Tech, I was told that the system shows my vehicle (by pulling up the VIN - since I don’t have the vehicle yet to look at the system myself) shows “autopilot options: none”. I asked if there was any chance that the previous owner had paid for auto pilot after taking ownership and they said it was slightly possible but very unlikely that their system is not showing that it has been added.

I just got a 2018 with no AP software and my pricing shows $5k for AP and $11k for AP +FSD.

I’m also waiting for a price drop.

Btw, how will I know when there’s a price drop? Do i have to keep checking?

For anybody that’s interested, I resold the car back at auction yesterday for exactly what I bought it for - so I lost a little bit after paying buyer fees and seller fees. A little bit of an expensive lesson to learn (more in cost of time than actual dollars) but I’m in a pretty good place after having learned what 2019 new inventory model S vehicles (old motor) are going for, that already have autopilot.l installed.

With that said, after looking at a ton more options, I’ve pretty much decided to go back to a model 3 with FSD. Getting a new 2019 inventory S, and adding FSD, would still put me out about $25k more than a new model 3. After driving both vehicles, I just have a hard time justifying the cost for a bit more space... I’m sure everybody has their own varying opinion but for me it’s not about the actual dollars as much as it is feeling like I’m getting a good “deal”...

I appreciate everyone’s help in shedding light on options that are out there.

Reactions: HankLloydRight