Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation doesn't work from Yosemite National Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got directions through Tioga road in Yosemite National Park, it worked. But when I got to that road and updated the route, it failed. The navigation stopped working completely in all directions until I left Tioga road. Have you experienced the same in Yosemite National Park? Why did it happen?

Are you sure the car had cellular connectivity? Your phone may be on a different provider. Google shows a lot of people saying cellular is spotty on Tioga road.
Yes, it had a cellular connection when it didn't work. Anyway, the navigation works on Tesla without a cellular connection. And it worked to the same address in the past without a cellular connection.

Last edited:
Yes, it had a cellular connection when it didn't work. Anyway, the navigation works on Tesla without a cellular connection. And it worked in the past without a cellular connection.
It has to have cached the area to work without cellular. And they use AT&T data services. That is a pretty rural area so I would not be too surprised if entering a new address would not work out there. Good thing there are not too many intersections and roads to get lost on. I still carry paper maps when traveling just in case data does not work.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I tried to get directions to the home address, and exactly (!) the same route was already displayed right before it failed. Any other destinations failed as well, including the one a hundred yards away.
Stange. The only time I have failures like yours was when the AT&T service was not available, or my car was in an error with poor open wifi and I connected the car to it. The latter is just a bad idea in general, so I never do that anymore.

White no coverage.

S9RDubn.jpg

Is there a master list somewhere of everything that stops working when there's no cell connection? Went camping and all navigation disappeared upon entering an area known to have no cellular coverage. Not just satellite imagery (I could expect that) but everything - no roads, nothing. Super lame. Now I have to take the trusty 'old' GPS everywhere too. Voice commands also quit.

2022 MYLR - took delivery 2 weeks ago. Love driving it and averaging 250 Wh/mile so far!

Is there a master list somewhere of everything that stops working when there's no cell connection? Went camping and all navigation disappeared upon entering an area known to have no cellular coverage. Not just satellite imagery (I could expect that) but everything - no roads, nothing. Super lame. Now I have to take the trusty 'old' GPS everywhere too. Voice commands also quit.

2022 MYLR - took delivery 2 weeks ago. Love driving it and averaging 250 Wh/mile so far!
No $200 dollar DVDs like my old car. I do Google/Android "Download areas & navigate offline" and keep and old GPS in my Tesla rear lower storage area. Kind of like keeping a paper map :) -- Voice commands have to get interpreted. Unhook Alexa from the internet and she doesn't do voice commands either ... hahaha.

Reactions: jboy210
Well, I don't have time to do all those downloads - and why should I? My ump-tine year old stand-alone GPS Has the whole continent, "street-view" intersections, dynamic lane guidance, elevation AND voice commands all without any cell tower in sight! Navigation is such a big deal these days that Tesla should have world class features without cellular, then add satellite imagery or whatever when you do. The real "real world" doesn't always have cell towers. So I'll bring the GPS and my wife will grab some paper maps too!

But, of course, the car is fabulous - 764 miles in 2 weeks at 245 Wh/mi. Coming from a hybrid, its so nice going back down a mountain and being able to soak up all that potential energy I just lost.

The Wall Connector at 48A came online yesterday and the car updated to 2022.16.1.2 today. Lots of interesting sounds while updating.

Well, I don't have time to do all those downloads - and why should I? My ump-tine year old stand-alone GPS Has the whole continent, "street-view" intersections, dynamic lane guidance, elevation AND voice commands all without any cell tower in sight! Navigation is such a big deal these days that Tesla should have world class features without cellular, then add satellite imagery or whatever when you do. The real "real world" doesn't always have cell towers. So I'll bring the GPS and my wife will grab some paper maps too!

But, of course, the car is fabulous - 764 miles in 2 weeks at 245 Wh/mi. Coming from a hybrid, its so nice going back down a mountain and being able to soak up all that potential energy I just lost.

The Wall Connector at 48A came online yesterday and the car updated to 2022.16.1.2 today. Lots of interesting sounds while updating.
If you want up to date navigation on a standalone GPSes them you need to subscribe to get updated maps. I used to do that for my Garmin and it ran $100/year. BMW wanted $125/year. And there was no traffic/accident aware routing, ancillary information (store names), etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200