Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NASA Commercial Crew Announcement 2014-9-16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX on Twitter:

They are ready to ship the Pad Abort Vehicle to Florida for testing. I believe the first test is just dropping it from really high up to watch the chutes deploy. The second step is firing it off of a (fake) rocket. That is followed by launching an actual rocket and firing it off at near maximum velocity. That would be the perfect moment to use one of the reusable boosters since it is just a test anyway. Let's hope they recover this upcoming booster.

SpaceX on Twitter:

They are ready to ship the Pad Abort Vehicle to Florida for testing. I believe the first test is just dropping it from really high up to watch the chutes deploy. The second step is firing it off of a (fake) rocket. That is followed by launching an actual rocket and firing it off at near maximum velocity. That would be the perfect moment to use one of the reusable boosters since it is just a test anyway. Let's hope they recover this upcoming booster.

I think they have already done the drop test, if I am not mistaken... could be wrong.

The last test (in flight abort) I think they said they were going to use a modified F9 booster that would only have like 3 engines on it since they don't need to take it to space, just hit near max Q. I don't know if they have plans to recover that booster, but I assume that when they contracted the whole package it was based on pricing for total non-reuse testing. So if they get a second use out of something then that would just save SpaceX some money.

I think they have already done the drop test, if I am not mistaken... could be wrong.

The last test (in flight abort) I think they said they were going to use a modified F9 booster that would only have like 3 engines on it since they don't need to take it to space, just hit near max Q. I don't know if they have plans to recover that booster, but I assume that when they contracted the whole package it was based on pricing for total non-reuse testing. So if they get a second use out of something then that would just save SpaceX some money.

SpaceX nears pad abort test for human-rated Dragon capsule | Spaceflight Now

Just reading through one of the articles explains what will happen. :) It will fire off of a fake rocket and deploy parachutes to land in the Atlantic. The article says the test will happen after the next two launches.

SpaceX ready for another launch and key Commercial Crew test | NASASpaceFlight.com

Pre-flight detail of the next launch and more details about the Pad Abort Test currently scheduled for May 5th.

"Should the test take place on May 5, it will mark the 54th anniversary of Alan Shepard’s Freedom 7 Mercury flight. Notable, Dragon’s eight SuperDracos will be almost double the liftoff thrust of the Rocketdyne A-7 engine used on the Mercury rocket."

Wow, I often get too excited about the landing attempts and forget how awesome the Falcon is without that additional feature;

"Interestingly, that previous “legless” mission resulted in impressive performance from the launch vehicle,with source information noting the upper stage shut down when it reached the “apogee maximum limit”, still with propellant available for additional performance, had it been required. The contracted minimum apogee was actually many thousands of miles less than what was actually achieved."

Talk about under promise and over deliver...

Do they use surplus propellant to de-orbit the 2nd stage? Would be a wise move not to clutter up the transfer orbit.

Most launches include a de-orbit burn, I believe. But it appears this Eutelsat one did not.

You can look up some statistics via the Heavens-Above Satellite database. Enter "Falcon *" as the search term to see all instances of Falcon 1/9 second stage boosters that entered orbit. There are two Falcon 1 second stages in orbit, and 5 Falcon 9 second stages, including the Eutelsat one mentioned above.

The Pad Abort Static Fire was just completed (per NSF) in preparation for the real thing tomorrow.

SpaceX also released an article yesterday which describes some info/facts on what to expect from the test and what data will be gathered:
5 Things to Know About SpaceX's Pad Abort Test | SpaceX

...and a requisite pic of the static fire, from Elon's twitter feed:
CEQyDFxWgAEIx5z.jpg

Last edited:
Dragon 2 conducts Pad Abort leap in key SpaceX test | NASASpaceFlight.com

Details on the next test run in the abort testing sequence. The Dragon test vehicle will next ride atop a test booster. I would bet that SpaceX will try and recover that booster for sure. If they successfully land the next booster I wonder if they would use it for this. I know I would. However NASA is paying the bills and I expect they wouldn't go for it.

Dragon 2 conducts Pad Abort leap in key SpaceX test | NASASpaceFlight.com

Details on the next test run in the abort testing sequence. The Dragon test vehicle will next ride atop a test booster. I would bet that SpaceX will try and recover that booster for sure. If they successfully land the next booster I wonder if they would use it for this. I know I would. However NASA is paying the bills and I expect they wouldn't go for it.

This article has more info on the in flight abort:

SpaceX conducts tanking test on In-Flight Abort Falcon 9 | NASASpaceFlight.com

The intro paragraph says:

The unique Falcon 9 – sporting just three engines – will be tasked with lofting a Dragon 2 test vehicle into the Max-Drag region of ascent, before conducting an abort scenario.

I doubt they would try to recover such a unique booster because it would be a whole lot of one-time-only engineering work, and that booster wouldn't even be capable of lofting an orbital payload.

Looks like there were problems. Apparently the flight was 11 seconds shorter than anticipated. You can hear one of the announcers saying "slightly below nominal" for the trajectory and another announcer saying "hang tight everyone" as the craft comes close to landing on the beach rather than the water. Still successful as everyone would have survived it seems.

I doubt they would try to recover such a unique booster because it would be a whole lot of one-time-only engineering work, and that booster wouldn't even be capable of lofting an orbital payload.

A Merlin engine is a Merlin engine. If they recover and reuse any of them it saves the company money. They are probably trying to save money by only using three of them for this flight. Every one recovered allows the company to examine the stresses of use. I would expect them to make a recovery attempt unless NASA won't allow it as part of this program.

I have read that it is NASA that has put the brakes on the capsules reusability. They are insisting on a tried and true method before going all in on reusability which has a higher risk for astronauts.

Looks like there were problems. Apparently the flight was 11 seconds shorter than anticipated. You can hear one of the announcers saying "slightly below nominal" for the trajectory and another announcer saying "hang tight everyone" as the craft comes close to landing on the beach rather than the water. Still successful as everyone would have survived it seems.

One of the SuperDraco engines had a problem. It is discussed on the Pad Abort Video thread. Elon explained what they think went wrong in an interview after the test. The boost was shut down just a second or two early. That shortened the overall flight which translated to 11 seconds less for the entire launch, coast, and splashdown. Every goal was achieved in spite of the early engine shutdown. Elon said it was likely a bad fuel mixture. Beinjg a test, they might have had slightly different mixtures to test for an optimal fuel mix. Who knows? I'm sure they will study everything and give us the details.

It was an awesome flight.

A Merlin engine is a Merlin engine. If they recover and reuse any of them it saves the company money. They are probably trying to save money by only using three of them for this flight. Every one recovered allows the company to examine the stresses of use. I would expect them to make a recovery attempt unless NASA won't allow it as part of this program.

I have read that it is NASA that has put the brakes on the capsules reusability. They are insisting on a tried and true method before going all in on reusability which has a higher risk for astronauts.

One of the SuperDraco engines had a problem. It is discussed on the Pad Abort Video thread. Elon explained what they think went wrong in an interview after the test. The boost was shut down just a second or two early. That shortened the overall flight which translated to 11 seconds less for the entire launch, coast, and splashdown. Every goal was achieved in spite of the early engine shutdown. Elon said it was likely a bad fuel mixture. Beinjg a test, they might have had slightly different mixtures to test for an optimal fuel mix. Who knows? I'm sure they will study everything and give us the details.

It was an awesome flight.

I mean, given that their original press release for the launch (before it took place) was downplaying the launch by mentioning this is the first time they have really tested this and there was a chance for failure... I would say only one engine having a problem is pretty great! Didn't they originally say they engineered the capsule to suffer like 2 or 3 engine losses before it would become a problem during a real mission? So I was quite pleased there were no explosions, the chutes deployed, the capsule hit water, and it didn't sink. (Oh and if there were real people inside they would have survived). So overall, as you say, awesome flight!

I mean, given that their original press release for the launch (before it took place) was downplaying the launch by mentioning this is the first time they have really tested this and there was a chance for failure... I would say only one engine having a problem is pretty great! Didn't they originally say they engineered the capsule to suffer like 2 or 3 engine losses before it would become a problem during a real mission? So I was quite pleased there were no explosions, the chutes deployed, the capsule hit water, and it didn't sink. (Oh and if there were real people inside they would have survived). So overall, as you say, awesome flight!

I believe I read that they could lose up to 4 engines (2 pods) and still successfully achieve an abort. Knowing SpaceX, they were probably pushing the envelope since this was a test. Trying different mixes and different tweaks on particular engines would fit with a test. They just can't push it to the point where there would be a complete failure. One engine out of eight is great. This way they get to study what went wrong and you'd much rather do that from a test than when there are astronauts aboard and their lives are at stake.

This is just a great day for SpaceX, Tesla, and TSLA investors!

I believe I read that they could lose up to 4 engines (2 pods) and still successfully achieve an abort. Knowing SpaceX, they were probably pushing the envelope since this was a test. Trying different mixes and different tweaks on particular engines would fit with a test. They just can't push it to the point where there would be a complete failure. One engine out of eight is great. This way they get to study what went wrong and you'd much rather do that from a test than when there are astronauts aboard and their lives are at stake.

This is just a great day for SpaceX, Tesla, and TSLA investors!

Yeah, you are right it is 4 engines of the 8, I would also assume that a real flight there would be significantly more fuel in the tanks which would allow the others to burn a bit longer. They just likely didn't want to waste fuel or some such for the test.

They really should time SpaceX and Tesla announcements/events to always happen together like this. It makes for a far more interesting day :D

More details on the Commercial Crew program:

SpaceX has schedule leading up to crew flights | Spaceflight Now

Hot points:
SpaceX plans to test a powered landing of the Dragon 2.0 this year.
Dragon 2.0 is officially called "Crew Dragon."
Boeing is pushing everything to the last minute. The consensus in the comments is that Boeing will fall behind and have a delay for their capsule.
"SpaceX plans to introduce a new solar panel design, a docking port, updated computers and avionics, a cockpit control panel, seats and a life support system before flying astronauts."
All Crew Dragon launches will happen at Pad 39A using some elements left over from the Space Shuttle.