Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My X after 60 days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it an enthusiasts site is a “fanboy” site and actually what’s wrong with fanboys?

I’m a fanboy of many things Nissan, Nikon and now Tesla to name a few and whilst I’m super defensive of these brands I’m also their biggest critic because I want them to be the best.
If you've been here long enough, if something negative is pointed out about Tesla, their vehicles or their reliability, some of them will jump in, try to explain away things, make excuses, make (often) not very good comparisons (e.g. comparing to brands that don't have very good reliability to begin with), slam or attempt to discredit the source, slam competitors or ones that are better in that aspect, bash the messenger, etc. Sometimes, they'll accuse you of being a short seller (of TSLA stock) or troll or worse. More recently, there's now the disagree button and they'll often click that, as well.

In some cases, there some folks have experienced clear safety defects (e.g. sudden loss of propulsion while in motion not due to user error) and when it's suggested that it be reported to NHTSA via Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), some of those fanboys will try to discourage the victim from reporting and attack/belittle the person who brings it up, besides trying to make excuses that "it's random", shouldn't be reported, coming up with their own criteria to report or not, etc.

I've been on the receiving end of some of that here and it's frankly annoying. In some cases, even responding w/plenty of clear supporting evidence isn't enough. The behavior I mentioned continues.

Also, I've observed some fanboys have a very narrow point of view, sometimes disconnected from the real world. Some eventually come around, when given enough evidence. Examples relate to Tesla autopilot and their autonomous driving progress or what they observe in their region/country/car market vs. rest of their country/world or being WAY too focused on EVs vs. the rest of the auto market.

Last edited:
I took delivery of a Model X 75D in July. I had one issue with the keyfobs no longer working after a firmware update but that's been about it. I don't really feel the need to post on the forum how trouble free and awesome my car has been.

Most posts are negative because someone is looking for a place to get advice and to vent.

I don't think Tesla has an overall quality issue. I think they have a consistency issue. They seems to produce some really flawless cars and some really flawed cars. That's what they really need to solve.

I have probably driven about 30 Teslas in the last 6 months, my 2 and numerous loaners. There is no such thing as a flawless Tesla, not even close. There are Teslas where people ignore the problems, Teslas where people don't notice the issues, there are Teslas where people aren't bothered by the issues, and there are Teslas where people have not used the features, but there is no such thing as a flawless Tesla, they are the unicorn of the Tesla world.

Now I have made peace with the fact that these cars are not as reliable as my ICE cars and enjoy them for what they are, but my X has had 5 service visits for a total of 31 days in service and my S has had 4 service visits and been in service 13 days in the 6 months we have owned both cars. I just noticed on returning from service on Thursday that the heated steering wheel in my X does not heat the whole steering wheel, so I guess it's going back again when I have time.

My recommendation if you are planning to own a Tesla is enjoy the good parts; driving, no gas station, etc. and try to ignore the annoyances.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My other car is a Honda Pilot. 7 years old, 45,000 miles and never been in for a repair. I drive it because I need to for work.

The Tesla is 15 months old, 6,000 miles. But is hasn't been in for service for over a year.

When I have a choice, I'll always take the Tesla. I love the driving experience.

Gliches? A few. Bluetooth has forgotten my phone a couple times. Sometimes the mirrors turn down. Once the Xmas Show misfired. But I gotta say, I get the shivers when I read about some of the nightmares you all are living with.

(Given Tesla, my wife can't believe those SpaceX rockets actually work!)

I have probably driven about 30 Teslas in the last 6 months, my 2 and numerous loaners. There is no such thing as a flawless Tesla, not even close. There are Teslas where people ignore the problems, Teslas where people don't notice the issues, there are Teslas where people aren't bothered by the issues, and there are Teslas where people have not used the features, but there is no such thing as a flawless Tesla, they are the unicorn of the Tesla world.

Now I have made peace with the fact that these cars are not as reliable as my ICE cars and enjoy them for what they are, but my X has had 5 service visits for a total of 31 days in service and my S has had 4 service visits and been in service 13 days in the 6 months we have owned both cars. I just noticed on returning from service on Thursday that the heated steering wheel in my X does not heat the whole steering wheel, so I guess it's going back again when I have time.

My recommendation if you are planning to own a Tesla is enjoy the good parts; driving, no gas station, etc. and try to ignore the annoyances.

After almost of year of ownership I had to take my Model X in for its first problem. The driver's side fog lamp was a little dimmer than the passenger side. My service experience was awesome and I got a performance upgrade while there. I'm pretty picky about my cars. The only "flaw" I would say the car has is the lack of paint on the insides of the body where the front doors open. Other than that I'd say we got a unicorn.

After almost of year of ownership I had to take my Model X in for its first problem. The driver's side fog lamp was a little dimmer than the passenger side. My service experience was awesome and I got a performance upgrade while there. I'm pretty picky about my cars. The only "flaw" I would say the car has is the lack of paint on the insides of the body where the front doors open. Other than that I'd say we got a unicorn.

Lack of paint on the insides of the body where the doors open? Where exactly is this?

Load a playlist on a USB drive and play it on the head unit and let me know how that goes, or post a pick of both sides of you X showing FWD alignment front and rear.

The self driving mode is really awesome but at times you need to give the steering wheel a pretty firm turn in order for the car to release from auto-pilot. Can be pretty dangerous.

Cancelling AP does not need a yank of the steering wheel.

- Do the opposite action of initiating AP to cancel it. i.e push the stalk away from you. [In AP1 though there had a nice button at the end of the stack that did it, but Tesla in its infinite wisdom removed it in AP2, presumably to save a few pennies, like the idiocy of moving AP speed functions to the screen in M3]

- Or very gently tap the brakes. This is provided only as an emergency reflexive action.

• Informative
Reactions: NewTMSMan