Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

my mockup of carplay on model 3 display

would u want to see carplay added as a software update or part of an upgrade?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're going to make "mock-ups", at least put some effort in to approximate what this would actually look like (or what users would want it to look like) rather than stretch a screenshot out of proportion on the display. Especially in your Android Auto examples, do you really think a good mock-up has the Android on-screen buttons taking up a 1/5th of the display?

(on topic - I don't miss CarPlay in my 3 since Spotify support came out).

Reactions: earthwormjim
This entire exercise is a fool's errand. I fear Elon is too headstrong to allow adoption of a competitors infotainment system.

Here is to hoping he devotes the development resources to surpassing them.

I miss asking my car for simple things like stock price.

I doubt they profit on homelink installs. Maybe break even at best.

m3 wireless charging: $125
homelink: $300
key fob: $150 (!!)
key fob rubber band (!!!!): an extra $18
tire repair kit: $80

you bet they are making money on this stuff. my last two cars came with 2 fobs which can be attached to a keychain, homelink, and tire repair kits. one of them even has wireless charging built in.

at the very least it allows them to set the MSRP of the M3 lower and look more competitive than they really are.

Reactions: Tres_Azul

you bet they are making money on this stuff. my last two cars came with 2 fobs which can be attached to a keychain, homelink, and tire repair kits. one of them even has wireless charging built in.

at the very least it allows them to set the MSRP of the M3 lower and look more competitive than they really are.

Since I've 0 use for any of the fob stuff or the tire repair kit... GOOD.

Why do you want EVERYONE to pay for crap many don't want or need?

Ditto the homelink for that matter- as explained Tesla would need to pay a licensing fee on every model 3 regardless of if they ever used homelink or not if they install at the factory.

Meaning they'd need to charge 100% of Model 3 buyers for a feature less than 100% want, use, or need.

This way only those who need/want it pay for it. Seems ideal.

And the wireless charging is an aftermarket accessory- plenty of others selling similar if you don't want Teslas. (ditto the flat repair kit for that matter)

The only thing I would be interested on that list is the Tire Repair kit, so selfishly, I am glad that they are not including all the other features/items which would not be any use for me.

Phone and key cards are fine for me and I have no garage door opener. I am pretty sure there is a large contingent of Tesla owners who also do not have a garage door opener, and/or are fine using their phone as their key.

my post is only meant to highlight the fact that they are nickle and diming on stuff that is considered standard on the types of cars they are competing with with the M3. hence i'm not surprised that they would not implement CarPlay if people expect it to be free. as far as i know only BMW was charging for CarPlay and they have stopped doing that.

but hey if tesla wants to charge me $100/yr for CarPlay i'd probably just pay it, if it meant getting access to apple music.

my post is only meant to highlight the fact that they are nickle and diming on stuff that is considered standard on the types of cars they are competing with with the M3. hence i'm not surprised that they would not implement CarPlay if people expect it to be free. as far as i know only BMW was charging for CarPlay and they have stopped doing that.

but hey if tesla wants to charge me $100/yr for CarPlay i'd probably just pay it, if it meant getting access to apple music.

Possibly worth noting Model 3 is beating the hell out the BMW 3 in sales while doing it.

It's almost like people care more about how good the actual car is than if it has $2 in bag hooks or something.

+1 on the apple music if full CarPlay is never going to happen. i logged in to AM with the tesla browser and it worked, but the song stopped playing the minute the browser went into the background. which is probably not a bad thing in general.

lot of hate here for CarPlay for some reason. it does have some useful features, for me anyway. one nice thing they added in iOS13 is automatic navigation to any address stored in your next calendar appointment (though i think the tesla does this natively too.) another nice thing is that if you have a homekit compatible garage door opener, when you come within a few hundred meters of your house a control button for the opener just pops up on the screen.

Tesla will automatically navigate if you share your calendar. I do real estate and when I have multiple showings it works beautifully. I get in and it automatically takes me to the next address.

I installed Homelink and It auto opens my garage door. I dont have it set to auto shut but the button pops up when I pull out of the garage automatically and I just press to close it. The car does both things you are requesting very well. I personally do not care for carplay and had it in two prior vehicles. I always felt it was too neutered because apple is afraid to push any boundaries. If its ever enabled I want the option to turn it off. Full screen mirroring would be cool and I did have that with an aftermarket system in my sq5 that I installed.

m3 wireless charging: $125 <-- was made in response to all the 3rd party items, likely they had no intention of doing it originally
homelink: $300 <-- was done to not pay Gentex for every car (raises margins)
key fob: $150 (!!) <-- probable that they didn't plan on making these initially and enough folks complained about wanting one they relented
key fob rubber band (!!!!): an extra $18 <-- see blurb about key fob.
tire repair kit: $80 <-- IIRC no Tesla comes with this outside of Maryland (and I think EU)

The X3 is cannibalizing 3 series sales, not the Model 3. People are buying crossovers now days, not sedans.

The facts suggest otherwise.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

as a percentage of a brand’s total sales, no one has been hurt more by Tesla’s success than BMW

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/02/21/tesla-top-priority-automakers-bmw-dealer-model-3-affecting-sales/#

Tesla is a top priority for automakers, says BMW dealer who admits Model 3 is affecting sales

Also been several stories on how Model 3 is causing used BMWs (and similar) to tank in value as well

As luxury residuals fall, some cite Tesla

Robust demand for Tesla's performance electric cars, particularly the Model 3, is accelerating the slide in German luxury used-car prices

Tesla will automatically navigate if you share your calendar. I do real estate and when I have multiple showings it works beautifully. I get in and it automatically takes me to the next address.

I installed Homelink and It auto opens my garage door. I dont have it set to auto shut but the button pops up when I pull out of the garage automatically and I just press to close it. The car does both things you are requesting very well. I personally do not care for carplay and had it in two prior vehicles. I always felt it was too neutered because apple is afraid to push any boundaries. If its ever enabled I want the option to turn it off. Full screen mirroring would be cool and I did have that with an aftermarket system in my sq5 that I installed.

not sure what your point is. in the post you responded to, i admitted that the tesla built-in software offers to navigate to my next calendar appointment and then you tell me that the tesla built-in software auto-navigates to your next calendar appointment. so we are in violent agreement.

i didn't have to pay an extra $300 to have my bolt open my garage door. i didn't say the M3 couldn't do this, i said that tesla wants to nickel and dime me to do these things.

that's great that you don't care about CarPlay, but i do. to each his/her own.

i didn't have to pay an extra $300 to have my bolt open my garage door.

Sure you did. It was just rolled into the price of the car.

As noted the folks who own the patent on the tech charge a license fee on every car it goes into. Chevy absolutely passed that on to every buyer.

Tesla is nice enough to make it optional so people who don't need it don't have to pay for it.

I think tesla does not use android for their display and infotainment system.

integrating android things when you have no android OS underneath will cost more and create more bugs than any of us would want.

tesla spent years developing and debugging their UI toolkit. I don't expect to see any forklift upgrades in that. perhaps a different car model, in the future, but dumping existing 'running code' when your TODO list is so very long - my bet is that we'll have this UI style pretty much forever.

and I'm actually glad its not android. android is a stinking pile of security bugs that I'd rather NOT have in my car, thankyouverymuch.

Sure you did. It was just rolled into the price of the car.

As noted the folks who own the patent on the tech charge a license fee on every car it goes into. Chevy absolutely passed that on to every buyer.

Tesla is nice enough to make it optional so people who don't need it don't have to pay for it.

that's great. i don't use the coat hanger hooks in the back, and i don't use the wall plug, and i don't use the storage in the center console. we don't even use the back seats. i wonder if they could make those things optional too, cause i don't want to pay for them. absurd that a car wouldn't come with those things? well i think it's absurd that it doesn't come with things that almost everyone who owns a car nowadays uses - native smartphone integration, wireless charging, and a garage door opener.

thanks to tesla for resisting passing on other companies fees to the user - so they can pass on their own fees to me. why pay apple for the carplay license when they can charge me $100 per year to get real-time traffic?? heroic genius.

that's great. i don't use the coat hanger hooks in the back, and i don't use the wall plug, and i don't use the storage in the center console. we don't even use the back seats.

None of which involve a mandatory license fee a 3rd party will charge to Tesla for having them in a car.... so not the most useful examples.

thanks to tesla for resisting passing on other companies fees to the user - so they can pass on their own fees to me. why pay apple for the carplay license when they can charge me $100 per year to get real-time traffic?? heroic genius.

...you realize you get real time traffic data to the nav system even if you don't pay for it right? Only difference is if it displays the colored lines or not- the actual nav routing will use the data either way.

And of course MOST car makers charge for LTE connectivity.

Most charge more than Tesla does.

(I suppose in fairness the ones that charge 2-3 times more than Tesla also let you use it as a hot spot...WHAT A DEAL!)

who cares about the cost of a mandatory license? developing a CarPlay interface for the car has its own cost that tesla would have to bear anyway. go ahead and pass it along to me... that's not my gripe. my gripe is that they nickel and dime you to death with accessories and apparently refuse to implement things that they'd have to pay royalties on which other car manufacturers happily do.

that's the biggest laugh i've had all day - so the nav algorithm still uses the traffic data - ok... honestly that's not how people expect to use traffic data. they want to look at the screen and see where the congestion is. i'm sure everyone who uses google maps and apple maps would be 100% happy to have the display of the traffic data removed even though "it's still there". if it's so worthless to people, why does tesla include display of traffic info in a $100 per year uncharge?? really.