Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience from AP2.5 to AP 1.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Picked up a loaner today, MX with AP1. I remember when my screen looked the same. Experience is significantly different between the cars. The AP1 car works pretty well on the interstate. But on a road with some smallish hills coming to my house where my AP2.5 car doesn't blink an eye (Camera), this car looses lane line(s) over nearly every hill and goes into panic mode...

This actually happened today when I was on I 270 North of DC, normal road lines, no issues but then all of the sudden the right line disappeared and the car wanted to veer to the right, little scary but it corrected in time

I know some will say I shouldn't operate on these roads and I do agree about the intentions of the product, but I just wanted to share my experience and what differences I have discovered so far.

I know when we were in the market for our first Tesla I couldn't get enough information to help with the decision on options, features and the like.

I am glad I have AP 2.5 and it is far from perfect but I guess I have grown to trust it and the AP1 car puts me on edge a bit.

I did a test drive in a model S a few years back with AP1 and the car did the same thing....except it almost drove us into a ditch. Obviously it wasn't anywhere near as sophisticated as it is now and clearly wasn't designed for back roads back then. I'm excited to see what comes next!

I took a video last night, 2 hills, the car crested the hill, went into panic and swerved directly into the oncoming lane. I warned my wife who drove the car today don't use AP unless you are on the interstate. These are only observations and it may be something about this particular car....just got word my car is done so after tomorrow the P90DL is going back. Gotta say love the power

I agree with you on the first part. The difference is night and day. I went from a model 3 with the newest tech (EAP and FSD purchased) to a 2016 model x with AP1 (convenience features). As much as i want to trust autopilot and it's promise of a self driving future, I cannot put any trust in it's surroundings. Unless the rest of the vehicles on the road are automated, the possibilities and risks for an accident far outweigh it's capabilities to make a safe decision. it's great that it can identify objects, cars, lights, people, but how it chooses what to do with that information is going to be it's biggest hurdle. I could never place the responsibility as a driver to make those safe decisions onto an automated car, at least in it's current state. Even when showing off the tech (believe me, I am all about showcasing the latest and greatest), it had failed me half the time. How could I trust it in transporting myself and loved ones?

In the end, I saw minimal advantage in real world use between the two. AP1 gives me the same experience with lane keep assist, traffic aware cruise control, lane change assist, auto park, and summon. Ultimately, I chose the X (2016 P90DL) because it was only 3k more than the 3 (2018 P3D-). Despite it's older AP, the other benefits if it being an X surpassed the minimal needs of difference in tech.