Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2012 Model S 85kWh is for sale @ $44k (w/ many extras)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selling my 2012 TESLA Model S with 85 kWh battery (MS85) for $44k. For the benefit of potential buyers who are not TESLA owners, I’m providing the following market research and detailed background info on my TESLA so you may make an informed evaluation (against luxury sedans with an Internal Combustion Engine, or ICE) and purchase decision on my top notch TESLA offered at slightly less than what I estimate is the Fair Market Value (FMV). This TESLA’s sale price (when new in Mar 2013) was well over $80k. I’m the 2nd owner; I don’t have the original build sheet/window sticker. This 5-year-old vehicle has had all five (5) annual servicing/maintenance performed by TESLA Service Centers. This is a perfectly maintained and garaged TESLA with a clean title in hand. Many of the cheaper TESLAs advertised online (e.g., under $40k) either have a smaller battery (40 or 60 kWh, and possibly no Supercharging capability), a salvage title (no support by TESLA; perhaps a flood vehicle), or some type of damage (that is very expensive to repair due to TESLA’s aluminum body).

My $44k sale price is about $5k less than Tesla's cheapest Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) MS85 with similar mileage (83k miles). I'm the second owner (purchased Dec 2016) and it's been a perfect vehicle for me with zero flaws or issues (beyond the slight noise from the rear axle, which caused TESLA to do a free replacement of the Rear Drive Unit that’s still under warranty for 3 more years). I just received my configuration invitation on my M3, which I won't order until I have a buyer for my MS. For my full asking price, I'd include a full set of snow tires (used one season, so still 90% tread), plus a 5th spare rim/tire (that fits nicely in the front trunk, or “frunk”). I also have the full set of WeatherTech floor mats throughout the vehicle.

The $20,000 premium paid for this largest battery included fully transferable Free Supercharging for Life!
It’s hard to overstate the intrinsic value of lifetime free electricity at any of TESLA’s thousands of Superchargers throughout the United States. If you drive long distances (e.g., 12k miles annually over the next decade, and have free Supercharging worth TESLA’s average retail price of $0.15/kWh, this equates to $6k in free fuel! (120,000 miles / 1kWh used every 3 miles * $0.15/kWh = $6,000 of free electricity) The equivalent cost of premium gas for a large luxury sedan would be about $15k! (120,000 miles / 24 mpg * $3/gallon = $15,000 in gasoline) Even if you charge at home at night ($0.09/kWh off-peak rates in the midwest / 1kWh used for 3 miles), your fuel cost is a mere 3 pennies per mile! (1/4 the cost of gas)

TESLA Features (VIN 5YJSA1DN1CFP02416 manufactured Dec 2012; delivered Mar 2013)

85 kWh battery (largest available with 362 HP; $20k upgrade over 40 kWh; $10k over 60 kWh); current range is 257 @100% (only 8 miles less than original rating of 265 miles) and 231 @90%; this battery pack is the better “B” code that Supercharges up to 120 kW (vs “A” code batteries that are limited to 90 kW)
FREE Lifetime Supercharging (i.e., super fast electricity charging paid by TESLA)
• Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) for charging, plus 3 UMC adaptors including J1772 to TESLA
Smart Air Suspension with GPS settings that automatically raises vehicle when reaching home and work to ensure curbs are cleared
• Sierra Black exterior paint with Piano Black high-gloss interior decor
Black Nappa Leather Heated 12-way Power Seats (with better lumbar support than newer seats)
• 19” TESLA 5-double spoke Silver Alloy Rims & Goodyear RS-A2 tires are in good condition (over 50% tread); plus extra set of Michelin X-ICE snow tires with 90% tread (used one season)
Full-size spare TESLA rim and tire (plus TESLA tire tote) fit perfectly in the huge frunk, which also has additional storage the size of a microwave (that perfectly fits my large Red Cross first aid backpack)
Xenon TESLA headlights with High Intensity Discharge (HID) (recent up
IMG_0005.JPG
Tesla Model S left rear.jpg
IMG_0005.JPG
Tesla Model S left rear.jpg
grade from original halogen)
TESLA logo all-weather floor mats for driver, passenger, 2nd row, and rear cargo area; TESLA liftgate sunshade
• 17” touchscreen display includes backup camera, WiFi, Bluetooth handsfree cell, internet radio, web surfing, maps
• TESLA iPhone app allows many remote features (e.g., heat/cool cabin and battery, keyless entry, valet)
LED Ambient White Lighting (all four interior doors and all four exterior door handles)
• 0-60 is 5 seconds (improved with recent over-the-air automatic TESLA software updates)
• 5-Star (the best possible) NHSTA safety rating with comfortable seating for five adults; plus massive trunk and frunk
8-Year Unlimited-Mile Warranty on Battery and Powertrain (i.e., Rear Drive Unit) still applies until March 2021. Limited Warranty by TESLA (covers a zero deductible free Battery and Drive Unit replacement).

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8484.JPG
    IMG_8484.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8793.JPG
    IMG_8793.JPG
    432.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8807.JPG
    IMG_8807.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 118
  • fullsizeoutput_556.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_556.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8509.JPG
    IMG_8509.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 116
  • fullsizeoutput_204.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_204.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8501.JPG
    IMG_8501.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 121
I forgot to mention in my ad that I'm offering FREE delivery (TESLA charges $1-2k) to any Midwest location within 200-miles (e.g., Des Moines, Madison, Chicago); I'll pay for a follow car to bring me back home after delivery of your new TESLA.

If you live 200-500 miles from me (ZIP 52726), I'll happily do a solo trip and deliver my TESLA if you pay for my one-way airfare back to Moline, IL (airport code MLI). I'll also delivery anywhere in the 48 continental US states if you want my wife and me to drive your new TESLA to your home, in exchange for the cost of two (2) one-way plane tickets home from your local airport to MLI.

Also, if you don't want all the extras I'm offering for $44k (e.g., extra set of Michelin X-ICE snow tires, full size spare rim/tire with TESLA tote, new TESLA logo all-weather floor mats, TESLA liftgate sunshade), I'm happy to keep and sell these extras and drop the price by $1k.

I purposely priced my TESLA (about $5k) below the CPO price of a MS85, but also above an MS60 that has a FMV at least $5k below a 2012-13 MS85. There are endless West Coast (CA) TESLAs for sale, and I am not looking to compete with those TESLAs 2k miles away from me. Based on my market research, there are very few TESLAs with the largest batteries (85kWh) - and no issues - for sale in the Midwest below my asking price. (I've found TWO, and I'm tempted to buy them both and start a TESLA used car dealership because I know the long-term value of a well-maintained TESLA.). I'm hoping to find a future owner who doesn't currently own a TESLA; he/she will be super excited to own the best car ever, which will allow me to then order my M3. But I'm patient because the longer I enjoy driving my MS85, the more kinks that TESLA works out on the M3. And over the next couple months, maybe TESLA will make available the white interior on the M3 :)

Mileage? Glass Sunroof? Tech Package?
83,000 miles

No glass sunroof (it has the solid black roof) nor Tech Package (although I recently upgraded the halogen headlights to TESLA's Xenon headlights at a cost of $2,500 for the pair, professionally installed by Service King - Loves Park; this was a key part of the Tech Package). Xenon headlights make an amazing improvement in night-time driving. My MS85 also has the lighted door handles, as well as memory seats, mirrors, and driver profiles that's normally part of the Tech Package (which I don't have). I think the early build MS85s sometimes received extra features, or those features came later as a result of software updates (e.g., memory seats).

I've listed above in bold all the options and extras. No alcantara either; but my future 3 also won't have that! :(

Thank you for posting one of the most complete and well-written for sale threads I’ve come across. Best of luck with the sale and your new Model 3! :)
My pleasure, Big Earl. I hope to educate several non-Tesla owners what questions to ask and what price to expect for a fair deal on an excellent big battery EV that has been my greatest car ever (out of 70+)! All while avoiding the too-good-to-be-true scams, flood cars, etc.

Bump. I just lowered my offer price to $40,000. This is a steal for a perfect Model S that needs nothing. Any cheaper price on a MS85 has a great chance of being a scam or flooded EV or problem car in need of repair. "If it sounds too good to be true, it is." After my $4,000 price reduction from $44k down to $40k, this is a very competitively priced EV that's a GREAT VALUE with no headaches. If you have never owned a Tesla, this is your dream car.

This is my daily driver and it's located in the Iowa Quad Cities. I used it for the past year in my limousine business (www.CustomLimos.com) to provide chauffeured black car service for my clients who didn't want a big limo, or who want to go green. My last client was my favorite - Jay Leno (so his butt print may still be in the right rear seat...no extra charge). I've since taken this MS out of commercial service after my annual livery insurance policy expired (switched to Progressive and saved $2k/year), and I decided to sell the MS in favor of a M3. But I'm holding off ordering my M3 until this sells. If this doesn't sell for $40k, then I'll happily keep driving my favorite car ever while saving an extra $20k on the added cost of a loaded LRM3 :)

If you're within a few hours' drive (Des Moines to Madison to Chicago to St. Louis), I'll happily take a road trip and Supercharge all the way to your front door and personally deliver this GR8EV4U (my Iowa vanity license plate). You won't find a better value for an electric vehicle that has a range over 250 miles!

Reactions: Olds442
SOLD!

For those doing market research on what today's Fair Market Value is on an early Model S with 85kWh battery and a few other options and 84k miles, it's $40,000. Once I lowered my price to $40k, I had multiple offers and lots of interested real buyers at exactly that price. Thanks for everyone's interest in the best car I've ever owned; it's a bit sad seeing D. Vader go!

Great Job on this and excellent communication!!
Thanks for the compliment. Yes, it pays off to give really complete explanations/descriptions that answer all the questions you think a buyer might ask (before they do). This turned out to be a fantastic sale to a wonderful lady named Amy from Sioux Falls, SD. Amy's a first time TESLA owner and she was beyond Cloud 9. Amy flew into O'Hare yesterday and I drove the 3 hours from my Quad Cities area home to pick her up. While we were Supercharging ten miles northwest of O'Hare, she inspected everything and couldn't have been happier.

Based on all the documents (copy of front and back of my clean Iowa title, plus current registration) I sent Amy on Friday, Amy was 100% committed to the purchase. Once she completed her due diligence to ensure my Tesla and I were real, Amy sent 97% of the $40k sale price, which I received on Saturday as certified funds via FedEx. Upon her inspection of my Tesla in person, she paid me the other 3%. (I had recommend to her to have the last $1,200 as a "hold back" in case my Tesla wasn't in the great condition (e.g., no door dings/dents/etc) I had represented. Because it was everything I advertised, the deal went perfectly. She dropped me off at my home at 10pm last night, after we had several hours of driving and Supercharging together so I could go over the endless wonderful things to learn as a new Tesla owner.

Funny story - I was able to use my still active Tesla app to help guide her on her remaining 850 mile trek home (she just reached Sioux Falls, SD, as I'm typing this). When I got up this morning, I was alerted that her Supercharging had just stopped, but that she likely didn't mean for that to happen (because she had limited herself to 90% by accident). So I slid the max battery charging over to 100% via my Tesla app, and turned on her heat (since the interior temp was only 40F as she was sleeping). When I saw on the app about 30 minutes later that Amy was again driving, I called her cell to apologize for "taking control" of D. Vader (my former name for my MS85). She laughed and thanked me, as she was a bit curious what had happened. So if you're ever in need of a great chauffeur while in Sioux Falls, SD, look for Amy on your Lyft Lux app and she'll have some great stories for you ;) By the way, Amy found me here on TMC and sent me a direct message that resulted in the verbal agreement to the sale within an hour or so (once we both did our due diligence on the other) last Friday. That's how a Tesla private party sale should work; hope it does for others, too! And thanks for this TMC forum allowing it to do so!