Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX w/AP2 and Free SC or M3P? Help me pick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X without a second thought, as a family car it really cannot be beaten, its like a play room in the back with 6 seater config.

The 3 will be better to drive, but if you do most of your driving with the family no one is going to moan about going in the X.

Though I think you really cannot choose between the two, having both is surely the only answer - Which I hope we'll have soon :)

48395616702_8efcc81495_c.jpg
Now how adorable is that?!? Thank you! I just showed this post to my wife and she’s sold on the X and closer to letting me get the 3!!!

I also have both - a 2017 X 100D, and a 2018 M3P+.

The 100D is spacious, flexible, high-tech, and the best-ever road-trip car.

The M3P is an astounding daily driver and canyon-carving car.

I can't see how you would regret either one. The M3P is more fun to drive, but once you have a Tesla you won't want to drive your gas car anymore, so maybe the X would be better since it should be able to handle more jobs. But, as noted before, having both so you can choose the best tool is the way to go if you can...

Either way, good luck and have fun.

Reactions: gangzoom and Zaxxon
I also have a 2017 x100d six seater and the original model 3 (1/18). The x is a hands down better family car. I even think the 3rd row is more comfortable than my 3. (I have original flat seats). The 3 is more fun to drive and easier to find parking spaces for. Mine is not performance or awd but still corners great on mountain roads. And is plenty fast. I charge my 3 with my solar system, so free supercharger use really not an issue. I’ve paid for supercharger use and it’s like 10 bucks for 220 minutes, cheap

Reactions: DCruz72
I also have both - a 2017 X 100D, and a 2018 M3P+.

The 100D is spacious, flexible, high-tech, and the best-ever road-trip car.

The M3P is an astounding daily driver and canyon-carving car.

I can't see how you would regret either one.......as noted before, having both so you can choose the best tool is the way to go if you can...

I think this answer should be a sticky, seems like to me getting both really is the best answer:).

With all the Tesla experts here, I figured I’d get some opinions to help me decide. I need two cars in my household, about to buy either a used MX or new M3P. Unfortunately, I’m not ready to own two Tesla’s just yet. So, one of my cars has to stay.

Here are two setups, which would you choose?

Setup A -
Car 1: 2017 MX 90D, 20k miles, AP2, free unlimited supercharging, very clean.

Car 2: Keep my 2011 Lexus GS

Setup B: -
Car 1: New Model 3P

Car 2: Keep my big dog 2016 Infiniti QX80 Fully loaded with 24k miles.

If you don’t mind, please pick A or B. Thanks in advance!
You're not going to want a Model X with MCU 1. Model 3 is leaps and bounds ahead of MCU 1 Model X.

I have both and it is really based on what you enjoy more. Model 3 is more refined and is more fun to drive. Model X has a wow factor, is overengineered, and fun in its own way. The windshield, captain seats, and overall design. But imo not worth it if you can't get MCU 2.

The Model X is also really fast no matter what trim level you buy, so don't worry about that. It really pulls. My Model 3 (though it is almost as fast on paper) does not feel nearly as good as the X. M3P would definitely fix that.

But Model 3 is a priority for Tesla. It is simpler, more well-thought-out, has better software, and a much better sound system.

The decision is really what matters most to you. You can't go wrong with either.

You're not going to want a Model X with MCU 1. Model 3 is leaps and bounds ahead of MCU 1 Model X.

I have both and it is really based on what you enjoy more. Model 3 is more refined and is more fun to drive. Model X has a wow factor, is overengineered, and fun in its own way. The windshield, captain seats, and overall design. But imo not worth it if you can't get MCU 2.

The Model X is also really fast no matter what trim level you buy, so don't worry about that. It really pulls. My Model 3 (though it is almost as fast on paper) does not feel nearly as good as the X. M3P would definitely fix that.

But Model 3 is a priority for Tesla. It is simpler, more well-thought-out, has better software, and a much better sound system.

The decision is really what matters most to you. You can't go wrong with either.
Apparently you can upgrade the MCU in the future.

The value of FUSC is more emotional than financial.

The heart wants what it wants.
Some buyers will get a lot more benefit out of FUSC than they will with a screen that is a few milliseconds faster and has lots of games they'll never play...

Others will prefer the latest and greatest hardware and will end up having to pay for Supercharging.

How much benefit?

It's easy to quantify: today's rate for supercharging, assuming no referrals, is $.28 per kWh. In a pre-Raven Model X, it's 2.95 miles per kWh or 9.5 cents per mile - the absolute maximum value of FUSC.

That means if every single mile was consumed from supercharged stations (which was never Tesla's intent BTW), at 12k miles per year, we are talking $1,138 per year or around $100 / month.

Most off-peak rate utilities charge around 12 cents per kWh (some less, some more), so home charging (which is what Tesla strongly recommends BTW) is $488 per year or $40 / month.

To me, home charging is a no-brainer, not because of the cost but the time -- I save countless hours each month not pulling off the road, waiting for a supercharger, waiting for the charge, etc. So home charging, even with Tesla's excellent $500 wall connector, is the biggest bargain of all - both in absolute and opportunity cost. You could even say home charging is like getting "Half Off Supercharging."

Regardless, for me personally, there's no way I would buy a lesser car simply to get FUSC. You can save more money simply clipping coupons each week.

Reactions: Spelly88
How much benefit?

It's easy to quantify: today's rate for supercharging, assuming no referrals, is $.28 per kWh. In a pre-Raven Model X, it's 2.95 miles per kWh or 9.5 cents per mile - the absolute maximum value of FUSC.

That means if every single mile was consumed from supercharged stations (which was never Tesla's intent BTW), at 12k miles per year, we are talking $1,138 per year or around $100 / month.

Most off-peak rate utilities charge around 12 cents per kWh (some less, some more), so home charging (which is what Tesla strongly recommends BTW) is $488 per year or $40 / month.

To me, home charging is a no-brainer, not because of the cost but the time -- I save countless hours each month not pulling off the road, waiting for a supercharger, waiting for the charge, etc. So home charging, even with Tesla's excellent $500 wall connector, is the biggest bargain of all - both in absolute and opportunity cost. You could even say home charging is like getting "Half Off Supercharging."

Regardless, for me personally, there's no way I would buy a lesser car simply to get FUSC. You can save more money simply clipping coupons each week.

I gave up FUSC to get my Raven. For me, it was never about the money - as you say, it's not a huge amount and the convenience of charging at home is worth far more - when I'm at home.

But the psychology of having free road trips was nice, and was a factor in my original purchase back in the day.

Also remember that the OP is comparing an older Model X with free Supercharging to a new Model 3. The X has a lot more room and other benefits that the OP was interested in as well.

Yes, the OP could consider a new Model X but it would likely cost $20,000 to $30,000 more than the older X that he's considering.

How much benefit?

If you drive at 100% efficiency (2.95 m/kWh).. In California here, Supercharging rates average around $0.34, and, efficiency is roughly 70% on average (short trips are awful, 50%ish, longer trips, better, in cases 100%, so assume 2 miles/kWh). I just got my X100D a couple of weeks ago with free Supercharging (new inventory).

I live near a Supercharger (I can park and walk home if needed and walk back, depending on how much time it will take to charge), so, I'll definitely take advantage of that. The almost $2k (power rates have gone up every year) per year "gift" of charging is worth it over the next 8-10 years of ownership. I'll take that over having to pay for higher rates at my house any day.

Ironically the value of FUSC is diluted even more comparing with a Model 3 since it is in the 4 mi/kWh range. So closer to $840/year with 12k miles.
If you drive at 100% efficiency (2.95 m/kWh).. In California here, Supercharging rates average around $0.34, and, efficiency is roughly 70% on average (short trips are awful, 50%ish, longer trips, better, in cases 100%, so assume 2 miles/kWh). I just got my X100D a couple of weeks ago with free Supercharging (new inventory).

I live near a Supercharger (I can park and walk home if needed and walk back, depending on how much time it will take to charge), so, I'll definitely take advantage of that. The almost $2k (power rates have gone up every year) per year "gift" of charging is worth it over the next 8-10 years of ownership. I'll take that over having to pay for higher rates at my house any day.

We live near one another. I'm on an Edison Time of Use rate and it's 12 cents per kWh. I assume you're near the Collection?

The other factor to consider is Supercharging isn't intended for daily use. There is definitely conflicting info out there but I personally would be cautious and sparing about how much it is used vis-a-vis battery degradation.

Ironically the value of FUSC is diluted even more comparing with a Model 3 since it is in the 4 mi/kWh range. So closer to $840/year with 12k miles.

We live near one another. I'm on an Edison Time of Use rate and it's 12 cents per kWh. I assume you're near the Collection?

The other factor to consider is Supercharging isn't intended for daily use. There is definitely conflicting info out there but I personally would be cautious and sparing about how much it is used vis-a-vis battery degradation.

Yup, next to the Collection. Definitely agree that the efficiency on the 3 is much better than our heavy X. My electric bill is $150-$200/month, so, I try not to add anything to bump my rates up. I'll definitely be watching the battery over time with Supercharging only, but, I believe some others have been exclusively Supercharging for a number of years without issue past the normal degradation that is to be expected.