Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Vendor MPP Model 3 Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Speed Academy video just came out. All I can say is it's amazing! We had David Pratte, a former racer and the face of Speed Academy, drive our Model 3 in stock configuration, with just wheels and tires, and with all of our parts on it. You're going to love it :)

I love it. I am going to buy some parts from you guys for sure.

Any plans of making lowering springs? Sway bars?

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
Thanks! We're really excited as the video has over 40k views already and has made it onto Jalopnik, CNET Roadshow among others.

No plans for lowering springs now as we feel our comfort and sports coilovers are a great solution.

Sway bars are something that is on the board! It's just difficult to determine what parts to prioritize as we're only able to invest so much into producing parts at a time :)

More orders mean more new parts!

• Love
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Hey guys, thanks for the interest in our brakes! All great questions. Let me see if I can cover them all here:

Curved vanes - this makes a huge difference to rotor cooling especially at higher speeds. Our brakes have them!

Replacement rings - yes we will offer replacement rings, although I can't see anyone needing a pair unless you're racing often! They are not compatible with other brands brake rings, no.

Our brake kit DOES fit under the factory 19's. That was a design constraint of ours. We just installed a set today actually!

We don't have any plans to offer upgraded discs for the 18's as we feel the disc size isn't nearly large enough for the car, so our upgraded disc would be destined for failure. That and just about everyone upgrading these cars will be installing larger wheels for the most part.

There is a small market of track guys that want to use 18" wheels because 18" tires are more available, and I feel for those guys, but with the factory rotor and a very sticky tire, the brakes just won't be able to manage. The only option would be a BBK with a different caliper and something like a ~355mm rotor. This is not something we're looking at doing as we've found for 95% of the applications the factory caliper is fine.

DS2500 is a great pad for the street - except it squeals. Our pads weren't making any noise for ~1000km and I was ecstatic, but as temps got hotter here in Ontario they squeal now. It seems to be related to outside temperature more than anything (since I just use regen all the time so the brakes are effectively always at ambient temp). We'll be testing a number of pad compounds and making suggestions in the coming future. The correct pad is critical with our brake upgrade as if you get a pad that has too much bite, along with a larger rotor, you'll have too much front brake bias. The DS2500 keeps the brake bias exactly where we want it.

@pandam3 I think a free t-shirt is coming your way in no time!

We've also got brake lines in the works, so we'll have a complete brake package upgrade available soon. But right now the rotors and pads with some racing fluid are all you need to have a track capable car!

How do the MPP brake rotor upgrade compare to the “performance package brake kit” if u pay for the 20” wheel upgrades ? Are these comparable ?
Already waiting for the non performance package, tempted to edit my order but afraid it may delay my delivery. Thanks

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
Sasha,
My evolutionary TM3 journey begins!

1) Friday: finally getting the MPP camber arms & MPP toe arms installed,
Chris from Touge Tuning will be performing the duty as per your recommendation

2) Nanotech PPF installed by Evelyn Protective Films next week (August)

3) MPP Comfort Coilovers to be installed (September)

4) Vossen HF2 wheels ordered (January '19)
These hybrid forged wheels in the staggered setup 19x9 and 19x10.5
Will choose Michelin Pilot or Yokohama Advan sport tires

5) MPP Page Mill Brake Kit with 365 mm rotors (Spring '19)
(Will discuss with you pros & cons of your 320 mm rotors

6) MPP steel braided Brake lines and braking pad change

That's all for now...trying to MODERATE my spending!

@Blu Angel Yes! We can't wait to see your car with all of our parts on it! I would go with the 365mm rotors for SURE if you have wheels that can fit them.

The only reason we are considering marking the 320mm rotors is for people that want to go lapping or race on 18" wheels and tires because they are cheaper, and even in this case, those guys will most likely NEED to run some kind of brake cooling to those rotors if they want to be able to do more than 1-2 hot laps at a time.

Josh@GYW - Thank you very much!!

@shiz - The performance with the performance package has larger Brembo front calipers and a 355mm rotor. Our rotor is larger, but the caliper is smaller. The rear caliper is Brembo, but we aren't sure on the size differences yet.

In our experience, the rear brakes have not been the limitation even with no regen on the track, and with our large 365mm disc the brakes have proven to be very capable even with a mild track pad.

Grippy tires = more weight transfer forward = less weight on rear wheels = less braking force required on the rear axle. The majority of braking is done with the front, and the rear 335mm OEM size rotor does a good job of shedding heat. Our 2 piece rear rotor with curved vanes will improve cooling even further while being a significant weight reduction over the stock rotor!

We spend some time over the last few days working on disabling Traction control. I already had the stability control disabled since GridLife, but traction control has still been active. This was a difficult one but the results were worth it. This car slides incredibly well for a car with an open diff! I've been in purpose-built drift cars that are harder to drive than this was!

The car is certainly lively now, you'll see in the YouTube video below that things got a bit spicy, I ate a bit too much curbing and that kicked the car into a big slide! Rather than fly off the track I was able to flick the car the other way and do a 360 and keep going. It was fun :)

I also got an opportunity to do 3 sessions in the dry, and each time out I found more time and improved my driving. If you remember from the Speed Academy video, David Pratte did a mid 1:21 laptime in the car, and I predicted that a 1:19 would be possible.

Well my first lap was a 1:19 and by the end of the day we got down to a 1:18.9! That would have bested the lap record for our class by over 1.4 seconds!!

So having the traction control off and being able to get all of the drive out of the corners was worth a ton of time. This car is incredible. I keep falling more in love with it every day. The Tesla designers, engineers and everyone working there should be so proud of what they have done with this vehicle. I'm glad we can change a few parts out to cater to the performance minded and show how capable this car was designed to be.

Here's the video, I'm sorry that the onboard footage doesn't do it justice at all.

We spend some time over the last few days working on disabling Traction control. I already had the stability control disabled since GridLife, but traction control has still been active. This was a difficult one but the results were worth it. This car slides incredibly well for a car with an open diff! I've been in purpose-built drift cars that are harder to drive than this was!

The car is certainly lively now, you'll see in the YouTube video below that things got a bit spicy, I ate a bit too much curbing and that kicked the car into a big slide! Rather than fly off the track I was able to flick the car the other way and do a 360 and keep going. It was fun :)

I also got an opportunity to do 3 sessions in the dry, and each time out I found more time and improved my driving. If you remember from the Speed Academy video, David Pratte did a mid 1:21 laptime in the car, and I predicted that a 1:19 would be possible.

Well my first lap was a 1:19 and by the end of the day we got down to a 1:18.9! That would have bested the lap record for our class by over 1.4 seconds!!

So having the traction control off and being able to get all of the drive out of the corners was worth a ton of time. This car is incredible. I keep falling more in love with it every day. The Tesla designers, engineers and everyone working there should be so proud of what they have done with this vehicle. I'm glad we can change a few parts out to cater to the performance minded and show how capable this car was designed to be.

Here's the video, I'm sorry that the onboard footage doesn't do it justice at all.

Stop showing me these videos or else I might just sell my M3 and focus all my monies on modding my TM3... especially after shattering the production class record that was held by an M3... lol

That being said... where you able to modify the stability control to get the rear ABS to get the open diff to function more like a virtual LSD? Kinda the same way VW does it with the MK6 GTI and newer... they call it XDS. My GTI had XDS with software set to be as aggressive at mimicking LSD as the euro Scirroco R, This actually felt more effective at getting power down coming out of turns as the mechanical LSD that I installed in my wife’s VW CC (pretty much it’s a GTI in a bigger 4 door coupe form).

3A2252C5-C669-42C6-83CD-2670E7F81743.jpeg
I think they shattered their own Model 3 record, let's not get ahead ourselves here. haha

According to the CSCS website it does beat the production class BMW M3

View attachment 322060

According to the CSCS website it does beat the production class BMW M3
Hmmm. That is extremely impressive. I would think that coilovers would move it out of Production Class. Either way even if 1:20.3 is the track record for a stock RWD car, beating it by nearly a second with just coilovers and brakes is incredible.
Was this with RE71R tires?
Especially impressive since at the Refuel event at Laguna Seca the fastest Model 3 running racing slicks was 9 seconds off of a stock BMW M3.

A P85 will/should beat a production M3 on the same RE71R setup for a track this short... a couple laps, No.
& any mods/ lowering or coil change is not production+ disabling any stability or traction system is not production either for SCCA anyway.

looks like a super fun little car

Last edited:
A P85 will/should beat a production M3 on the same RE71R setup for a track this short... a couple laps, No.
& any mods/ lowering or coil change is not production+ disabling any stability or traction system is not production either for SCCA anyway.

A P85 isn't beating anything. At least not in any of the results I have seen. Take a look at the results from the Refuel EV event at Laguna Seca.
The Model 3 looks like it will be much more competitive.

A P85 isn't beating anything. At least not in any of the results I have seen. Take a look at the results from the Refuel EV event at Laguna Seca.
The Model 3 looks like it will be much more competitive.
How long is this track? 1.5 miles or so? and flat
Laguna Seca is 50% longer than this track(time wise) + has a hill climb.
I think I could do it in a bit under 1:54 (did 1:57 my first/only time and was deep ion the sand in one turn :confused:...pretty much my first racing experience) and that is with power limiting already going into turn 6 so ya, a 3 will beat it there no problem, the ~115 mph straight & inclined start is a bit much for the old S.
For autocross any 3 should kick a P85's ass but BMW M3 and P85 are pretty close in autoX

here are Southern Oregon auto X enduro #'s for comparo. this is a flatish course with ~70 mph top speed 5 ~50 sec laps and power limiting for the last 2- 1/2

Attachments

• fall e.jpg
    fall e.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
How long is this track? 1.5 miles or so? and flat
Laguna Seca is 50% longer than this track(time wise) + has a hill climb.
I think I could do it in a bit under 1:54 (did 1:57 my first/only time and was deep ion the sand in one turn :confused:...pretty much my first racing experience) and that is with power limiting already going into turn 6 so ya, a 3 will beat it there no problem, the ~115 mph straight & inclined start is a bit much for the old S.
For autocross any 3 should kick a P85's ass but BMW M3 and P85 are pretty close in autoX

here are Southern Oregon auto X enduro #'s for comparo. this is a flatish course with ~70 mph top speed 5 ~50 sec laps and power limiting for the last 2- 1/2
The BMW M3 is in the A-street class and the Model S is in F-street class. The Model 3 is D-street which strangely is actually a slower class than F-street on the PAX index so it should be much more competitive.
At Laguna Seca Motortrend did 1:39.69 in an M4 on stock tires albeit with a professional driver. They did 1:50.79 in a P85+. I'm definitely looking forward to them testing the P3D!

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial

Disabling stability and traction control is now allowed in SCCA street (formerly stock) classes. Too many cars are shipping without off buttons these days.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
The BMW M3 is in the A-street class and the Model S is in F-street class. The Model 3 is D-street which strangely is actually a slower class than F-street on the PAX index so it should be much more competitive.
At Laguna Seca Motortrend did 1:39.69 in an M4 on stock tires albeit with a professional driver. They did 1:50.79 in a P85+. I'm definitely looking forward to them testing the P3D!
Pretty sure the 2014 M3 was in F street but SCCA does not even have it classed? odd. <2014 is F street, >2014 is A street.
P85 /+ compares very well to a 2014 M3

cool, never saw the Motortrend run but the M4 was not around until a couple of years after the P85 which compares to the M3 of a similar age...but also not at Laguna

DS for M3...wow. I think that will be hard to beat in PAX even with a good Miata setup. I am usually ~800 pts in the P85 vs the best couple of drivers around here

I was surprised SCCA says a P85D is F street too but the RWD seems to do just as good as AWD, partially due to the traction control of the D. If you are allowed to pull fuses now that changes everything. The P85D is a beast without the TC/Stability fuse

Sasha, I'm fast becoming a big fan of the work that you and your crew at MPP are doing. Please keep doing what you're doing and keep us up-to-date. Very impressive gains in such a short amount of time.

Any chance you'd make a trip out to the Canadian west coast (Mission Raceway) with your Model 3? There's a lot of Model 3, Tesla and EV owners in the Pacific NW that would love to see The Future and Blue Lightning first hand.