Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor in hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want Tesla to work on motor in hub technology because it is the future.
Brabus-wheel-hub-mounted-electric-motor.jpg

Unsprung weight. Both Aptera and Lordstown are/(were) bankrupt and hub motors were not the only reason but no. It's not and NO.
Given the fact that there is no need for differential, half shaft, internal gears, the total weight of the car would be less. This combined with lighter material for the motor itself could open some feasible possibilities

OP's motor pictured is not just a hub motor but also direct drive. Hyundia's idea fixes that with some speed reduction and helps reduce unsprung weight at the considerable expense and complication of having to lubricate and then seal a complicated gear reduction mechanism from the elements.

The basic issue is power output per frame size. Frame size drives cost. If you have a certain diameter motor with the related expense, you'd want to spin it up as high as practical to maximise the power/cost ratio. For that you need a substantial gear ratio, between perhaps 8 to 16 to 1.

If you look at EV trends you'll see that motors are spinning faster than ever before, moving you further and further away from the capability of a hub motor. I can't see it ever happening in volume production.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
OP's motor pictured is not just a hub motor but also direct drive. Hyundia's idea fixes that with some speed reduction and helps reduce unsprung weight at the considerable expense and complication of having to lubricate and then seal a complicated gear reduction mechanism from the elements.

The basic issue is power output per frame size. Frame size drives cost. If you have a certain diameter motor with the related expense, you'd want to spin it up as high as practical to maximise the power/cost ratio. For that you need a substantial gear ratio, between perhaps 8 to 16 to 1.

If you look at EV trends you'll see that motors are spinning faster than ever before, moving you further and further away from the capability of a hub motor. I can't see it ever happening in volume production.
That's why I want Tesla to work on it because Tesla seems to improve any technology they touch on

Back in engineering school circa 1975, a place Sandy Munro has never been, my production engineering lecturer once told us that we should "design products with the minimum quality the customer will accept". Obviously that statement left the entire class gasping for air but everyone quickly realised that this is how you maximise profit.

Today, Tesla excel at this, as they should for a growing business. I'll note that being invested up to the eyeballs I want them to succeed.

But, what does it matter to the customer how the powertrain is configured? Nothing at all. Tesla's engineers use a motor and gear reducer (as every other profitable EV maker does) because it meets the requirements at the lowest possible cost.

Tesla's engineers are not magicians even if Elon tells you they are. They try something, makes mistakes and then try something else until they get it right. Almost everything Tesla does is in the interest of lowering production costs and improving sales. Almost everything they tell you as a consumer is designed to make you a buyer even though many of the reasons given are for their benefit rather than your's, despite how convincingly it's phrased.

Forget hub motors, they make no sense for multiple reasons and you'd never know if you were driving an EV that had them. What Tesla needs to focus on now is quality. During the last fours years they've wasted designing the CT the competition has learned how to build EVs and Hyundai/Kia for one are already ahead in some areas. Legacy auto already knew how to build high quality cars. So far Tesla's quality is close enough for most consumers not to notice but they are improving too slowly.