Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More paint issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just discovered another issue with my one week old Model 3 to go along with the misaligned steering wheel, a 3-4 inch long paint drip by the rear trunk... Did I mention it took 5 days for the SC to return a phone call? Not how I wanted my M3 experience to start...

Attachments

• 58883052_1274596399358325_6412824774988267520_n.jpg
    58883052_1274596399358325_6412824774988267520_n.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 183
The day I got mine I immediately took it to my detailer. He found issues with the paint and a few dents that the SC and I had missed. And the SC resolved them. It’s always good if you can get another pair of eyes to look your car over. SC follow ups sometimes fall through the cracks. Typically if I’m expecting a call from them and I don’t hear from them within a day or two I try to reach out to them.

The day I got mine I immediately took it to my detailer. He found issues with the paint and a few dents that the SC and I had missed. And the SC resolved them. It’s always good if you can get another pair of eyes to look your car over. SC follow ups sometimes fall through the cracks. Typically if I’m expecting a call from them and I don’t hear from them within a day or two I try to reach out to them.

So how did the SC take care of it, in house or sent to a body shop?

My delivery process was hectic and rushed so I did not get to go over the car like I should have. Make sure to take the time to do so to avoid these headaches.
Not only am I a lawyer, but my buddy who runs a prominent body shop is coming with me. I was also thinking of hiring an independent insurance adjuster to join the party. They are going to hate me at Tesla on D-Day.

Get this, now I got a text saying a mobile tech is going to take car of the misaligned steering wheel and the run in the paint. This is going to be interesting.
If it needs an alignment it certainly would be interesting. You may be better off if the mobile tech can take care of the paint issue if it’s superficial. If it’s beyond the clear coat then it definitely needs higher level care. My total body shop experience was about 3 weeks for minor repairs so if the mobile tech can fix it properly than you’re ahead of the game.

If it needs an alignment it certainly would be interesting. You may be better off if the mobile tech can take care of the paint issue if it’s superficial. If it’s beyond the clear coat then it definitely needs higher level care. My total body shop experience was about 3 weeks for minor repairs so if the mobile tech can fix it properly than you’re ahead of the game.
It doesnt pull so I dont think it needs an alignment, I hope.

Get this, now I got a text saying a mobile tech is going to take car of the misaligned steering wheel and the run in the paint. This is going to be interesting.

the paint is likely an easy buffing fix (unless it's undercoat...I guess you'll find out soon), and I had a similar issue with the steering wheel alignment, and they said it was so few degrees that the car's system will make self adjustments. That was 2 weeks ago, and indeed I noticed less of a degree.

Good luck

They better deliver me a pristine car or I'll keep sending them back to the factory until they do.

There will almost always be minor imperfections, the important part is that the car drive safely.
if you keep sending it back for small things, you'll never have a car (while they still have your money)
Set your expectation right and decide what you can and cannot live with, while the Service center will likely schedule a future date to fix those imperfections.

the paint is likely an easy buffing fix (unless it's undercoat...I guess you'll find out soon), and I had a similar issue with the steering wheel alignment, and they said it was so few degrees that the car's system will make self adjustments. That was 2 weeks ago, and indeed I noticed less of a degree.

Good luck

There will almost always be minor imperfections, the important part is that the car drive safely.
if you keep sending it back for small things, you'll never have a car (while they still have your money)
Set your expectation right and decide what you can and cannot live with, while the Service center will likely schedule a future date to fix those imperfections.
Well so far after a week the steering wheel is as off as it was from day one. That run is not a small imperfection, at least in my book. ;)

Reactions: Triplett
Not only am I a lawyer, but my buddy who runs a prominent body shop is coming with me. I was also thinking of hiring an independent insurance adjuster to join the party. They are going to hate me at Tesla on D-Day.

Pretty sure Tesla may not be the right car for you. It is a very early stage, entrepreneurial company. The cars are exceptional to drive, but I would not bet on perfection in fit, finish or service delivery. Sadly, for right now that is part of the Tesla experience. I knew this going in and have actually fairly pleasantly surprised. BUT, my car was NOT pristine -- I just don't really care about a dust fleck here and there in the paint and/or perfectly aligned panels. The car is the best car I have ever driven and I am totally behind what Tesla is trying to do. I have personally "sold 5 Teslas to friends and family in the past 4 months.

But, if you want perfection? I'd honestly save yourself the aggravation...

The car is the best car I have ever driven and I am totally behind what Tesla is trying to do.
You're the perfect owner: an early adopter who is thrilled with what the car has to offer, and with the company's mission. Nothing at all wrong with any of that (I pretty much feel the same way). But...I don't know how well that will translate to a mainstream buyer who might be spending more for this game-changing EV than he or she ever has spent on a car before, and expects it to be fast, beautiful, reliable and squared away. Add loooooong service waits to fix manufacturing defects and you can see the size of the next hurdle Tesla needs to jump.
Robin

Pretty sure Tesla may not be the right car for you. It is a very early stage, entrepreneurial company. The cars are exceptional to drive, but I would not bet on perfection in fit, finish or service delivery. Sadly, for right now that is part of the Tesla experience. I knew this going in and have actually fairly pleasantly surprised. BUT, my car was NOT pristine -- I just don't really care about a dust fleck here and there in the paint and/or perfectly aligned panels. The car is the best car I have ever driven and I am totally behind what Tesla is trying to do. I have personally "sold 5 Teslas to friends and family in the past 4 months.

But, if you want perfection? I'd honestly save yourself the aggravation...

Agreed, 100%. Got my M3P yesterday and it's incredible, but if you're looking for *perfect* in fit, finish, and paint - you're in the wrong place.