Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That can result in a significant increase in power output with everything else being the same.
9% according to the specs, but these values are exceeded.

Reactions: delta0
9% according to the specs, but these values are exceeded.

9% is very significant. That closes the gap completely between the 5L and 3L?

9% is very significant. That closes the gap completely between the 5L and 3L?
9% is huge. I doubt they would have left that kind of performance and/or efficiency gain on the table until now but who knows. It may well be 9% more powerful/efficient at some specific loads/speeds but not throughout.

One thing that occurred to me is that there was no reduction to the WLTP range (by 1.4%) in the UK from the Ryzen MCU. Range was decreased in proportion to the 82kW to 79.1kW reduction in battery capacity, so maybe some efficiency gains were made elsewhere with the 3D6 to offset this? It's the one figure they are formally tested and certified against.

We do know that not all M3P/MYP are created equal. The MIA MYP has the legs on the MIG MYP. The MY22Q1 (3L+3D6) unicorn M3P probably has a slight advantage over the MY21 (3L+3D1) variant, which in-turn is probably equivalent to the MY22 (5L+3D6) variant. In the real-world they are all stupidly fast, incredibly efficient and I imagine that you or I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Last edited:
Bjorn Nyland has got his hands on a new MIG MYP with the LG battery. It showed 400kW max discharge at 87% SoC.
My 2022 Model 3 Performance shows 455 kW max discharge. Isn’t that really low? I thought the Model Y performance cars were supposed to allow even more power output?

58FD5127-1400-46FB-8188-8440A98F1D4B.png

My 2022 Model 3 Performance shows 455 kW max discharge. Isn’t that really low? I thought the Model Y performance cars were supposed to allow even more power output?

View attachment 816011
In that case hot battery vs normal temperature battery. The LG battery he tested in the MYP had a similar power output as the Panasonic 3L at a similar temperature and SoC.

3l-vs-5l-30c-png.812082

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
One thing that occurred to me is that there was no reduction to the WLTP range (by 1.4%) in the UK from the Ryzen MCU. Range was decreased in proportion to the 82kW to 79.1kW reduction in battery capacity
This comparison is difficult I guess. You are right, that the reduction in range matches the reduction in battery capacity, but the M3P 2022 with LG 5L was only tested with the MCU3. The range reduction just from the MCU could be seen when the Panasonic version got "nerved" from 567km to 559km. Since the 559km was based purely on calculation I can imagine, that the possible higher efficiency of the 3D6 motor was never taken into consideration. It might have compensated the MCU change completely.
If you have a Model Y Performance with the Panasonic 3L 82kWh battery pack then the key question is not the maximum discharge power, but the maximum battery current that the BMS will allow. Maybe you can buy Scan My Tesla from the Appstore and run this via the S3XY Buttons Commander. The M3P 2021/2022 with Panasonic 3L 82kWh is capped at 1250A (more or less). This is the only handle that Tesla can use, as the battery voltage is set.
I had expected the sag (voltage drop) to be less on the 5L but it is not the case.
Me too, but dont trust my data. Have a look at Björn Nylands latest videos. He is doing high SoC pulls with both cars and you can see the voltage drop right there. Ideally play the video at reduced speed.