Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tow hitch rise limitation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you should just tow with the 4runner lol, these mini SUVs that are not body on frame, electric or not are just not the best tow vehicles, too low, poor hitch mounting locations, easily overloaded, etc
I'm pretty new to towing a trailer (as an adult, there were lots of family camping trips when I was a kid).

The only stuff that worries me with the towing in the last six months (since I got this trailer) has been road conditions - lots of potholes in my neighborhood. Otherwise, with research, reading, research & being taught by the dealership exactly what to do, my RV experience has been wonderful!

Hell, I had more trouble pulling my dad's 12-foot trash trailer (and ATV hauler) with his Surburban back in high school than I do my 2700lb, 16-foot RV and my Model Y right now...

However, I would prefer using a combined lock and tightening mechanism,
using a Keyless Press-on Locking Silent Hitch Pin

View attachment 910713 View attachment 910714
The keyless press-on locking silent hitch pin looks pretty cool. Has anyone used this?

With the model Y hitch pin seems like it will be tricky to me to do anything without risking scraping your hand. The access into the hitch pin area is pretty constrained compared to most normal tow vehicles and the risk of injury seems ever present.
There are several kinds of hitch pins:
1) the type with a threaded nut: that seems like it would be a pain because the access for any sort of wrench is limited.
2) The smoother type of hitch pin that locks with a cotter pin going around it or through a small hole
3) Specialty or locking pins like the this keyless press-on.
What have people found works well with the Model Y and its recessed and very tight clearance hitch pin space??

The keyless press-on locking silent hitch pin looks pretty cool. Has anyone used this?

With the model Y hitch pin seems like it will be tricky to me to do anything without risking scraping your hand. The access into the hitch pin area is pretty constrained compared to most normal tow vehicles and the risk of injury seems ever present.
There are several kinds of hitch pins:
1) the type with a threaded nut: that seems like it would be a pain because the access for any sort of wrench is limited.
2) The smoother type of hitch pin that locks with a cotter pin going around it or through a small hole
3) Specialty or locking pins like the this keyless press-on.
What have people found works well with the Model Y and its recessed and very tight clearance hitch pin space??
Here's what I ended up doing:

PXL_20230402_210325221.jpg

Anti-rattle hitch clamp, standard pin and cotter pin. I cut a notch out of the plastic under the ball mouth receiver so that the clamp would fit.

Reactions: PhysicsGuy
Please forgive me if this is a dumb question as towing specs are new to me and I am VERY confused about the rise limitations. Does “rise” matter in a cargo carrier like below? The rise appears more than 3/4 inch but I can’t find specs on it. I’ve seen other Model Y postings that this cargo setup was used, but I don’t want to make any dumb mistakes. Thanks!
IMG_2432.jpeg

Reactions: Misterbee
Please forgive me if this is a dumb question as towing specs are new to me and I am VERY confused about the rise limitations. Does “rise” matter in a cargo carrier like below? The rise appears more than 3/4 inch but I can’t find specs on it. I’ve seen other Model Y postings that this cargo setup was used, but I don’t want to make any dumb mistakes. Thanks!
View attachment 972435
I don’t see an issue with rise with that. As I understand it, rise is a factor when towing a trailer. You want the trailer to be as close to level as possible, to avoid putting strain on the tongue of the trailer. If you aren’t pulling a trailer, rise should not be a factor.

What might be more relevant is the weight of the rack plus the weight of the cargo. The model Y has a tongue weight limit of 350 lbs. while towing. But for racks, it has a total weight limit of 160 lbs. I believe this is because TONGUE weight remains relatively constant while pulling a trailer. But with a rack, the normal movement of the car while driving over bumps and such will exaggerate the vertical forces on the hitch, and put extra stress on it. There’s probably more to it, but that’s all I know.

Short version: when using a rack, the total weight of the rack and payload is best kept below 160 lbs. Maybe this is why I see so many aluminum cargo racks being marketed for Teslas.

For example, the Tesla Model X limit is 120 pounds and the Model Y is 160 pounds despite having much higher max tongue weight limits.
I believe that is because the X hitch is a two piece design whereas the Y is one piece.
From what I have read, the physics of a free hanging vertical load are much different than the tongue weight of a trailer which is why the vertical weight limit is much lower than the max tongue weight.
That is correct.
Does anyone know the official vertical weight limits (for both R1S and R1T)?
This is the Model Y forum so if you have a question about Rivian vehicles I would recommend finding a Rivian forum. I’m sure a web search would guide you to the right place.

Reactions: Misterbee
Sorry to being this back up, but almost all of those anti-rattle clamps run into one problem on a Model Y.... The plastic surrounding the hitch receiver, and the depth of the receiver inside the car.

I had bount a clamp on one without really thinking about the plastic, and I'm now trying to find a solution. If anyone has one, let me know!
Does anyone that has concerns about a rattling noisy hitch consider the 2" vertical mount options out there, once the receiver takes tongue weight it restrains most movement keeping the interface very quiet. The Ecohitch is configured like this.

Possible anyone has seen other 2" square vertical aftermarket alternatives for Tesla that utilize the vertical receiver configuration , 1 to help mitigate sound, and 2 for aesthetics when not towing to be able to remove and keep hidden?
202003-tesla-model-3-towing-hitch-installation-KYLE-ecohitch-evannex-scaled.jpg