Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cant Make Head and Tail of: Aftermarket Tow Hitch/Wiring Options for HW 4.0 Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0045.jpeg

Posting an image of my last EV tow vehicle “hard at work” just to mess with a couple of posters in here. Lighten up people. I’ve done worse than ask about not losing features while towing. 😅😝

-Paul

I'm not looking to discuss the safety or merits of using FSD/EAP/AP while towing but since that's what this thread has mostly turned into I'll touch on a couple of things:

1. There's no way I would trust FSD to take turns, change lanes, or follow a point A to point B route. I want to use it for legs of my tow route where it's a relatively low speed divided highway that meanders for a while. Still trying to find out without any doubt whether I can turn trailer mode on and off in order to access FSD when I might want to utilize it while hooked up. So far one person says he belives yes, another person says he's pretty sure no. Anybody know for 100 percent certanity? Any video or photographic evidence out there? I started looking but am coming up short. I can try going by the Tesla store later today to ask in person but am not confident they will know what they're talking about based on my previous interactions with them.

-Paul

Yes, let's get back to the point. Reading your description above, you indicate that you will NOT be using FSD. Just Enhanced Autopilot or maybe basic Autopilot.

Yes, even AP will suffice. However, is that disabled by "Tow Mode" or not? Like an earlier post of mine said, if NO, then I'm okay with that and going the Tesla route for my hitch and wiring harness.

If even minimal AP is going to be disabled then I'd rather go aftermarket and not lose that.

-Paul

Yes, even AP will suffice. However, is that disabled by "Tow Mode" or not? Like an earlier post of mine said, if NO, then I'm okay with that and going the Tesla route for my hitch and wiring harness.

If even minimal AP is going to be disabled then I'd rather go aftermarket and not lose that.

-Paul
As I've been alluding to all this time, ask the right question. What features are you really want while towing?

I've already said that Traffic Aware Cruise Control works.

Let me add something. As an MX owner that HAS the tow package - which is hardware only (bossal hitch) and does NOT have tow mode, a software package. I don't recommend towing with tow mode OFF. This may not be obvious but the effect is NO TRAILER LIGHTS. That seven pin connector is DEAD. And it senses the trailer two ways:
1. the added electrical load from the lights (amber icon on dash) and
2. The weight of the trailer causing higher current draw in the motor(s). Blue icon on dash.

I had tow mode exactly once when I used a very large and heavy trailer. With a 2500 lb dual axle trailer, I had orange icon trailer mode on my (empty) outbound trip - lights only; no controls. Autopilot (which is all I have) worked.

On the return trip (with a 1500 lb load added), I was put into (blue icon) full trailer mode. No more auto pilot and lights still worked. I believe that the extreme trailer weight (alone) compelled partial trailer mode at 2500 pounds and FULL trailer mode at 4000 lbs. Not a reliable method.

With my 400 lb Home Depot trailer, none of the above works. That is, no icons, no trailer mode, and no lights. I wish I had the trailer mode software activated.

With my 400 lb Home Depot trailer, none of the above works. That is, no icons, no trailer mode, and no lights.
Correction: Autopilot works as always. Only the blue-icon trailer mode disables AP. Amber icon trailer mode gives you lights AND autopilot. I read where amber tow mode is responding to the light connection load only. How to reliably experience that I do not know. I have idea that tungsten bulbs (a higher load) in place of LED trailer lights might do it and I will try that one day.

What we posters call "cruise control" IS the one you like; that is, it follows the vehicle in front up to your set speed. Called TACC (traffic aware cruise control). But a non-trailer mode activated car simply is unaware of small to average trailers - meaning no power on the tow connector, even if it physically is mounted and installed. That monster you pictured would quite possibly turn on some form of tow mode, similar to what I experienced in my "never had tow mode enabled" 2016 MX. I have an idea that amber-icon tow mode is intended for hitch accessories with lights in them. Perhaps the car then senses when driving characteristics indicate a trailer is connected and then switches to blue-icon trailer mode, disabling AP and FSD?

In short, TOW PACKAGE is hardware alone and gives you a bossal hitch and 7-pin connector concealed behind a removable plastic panel in the bumper. The removable receiver is packed separately in the rear storage area. I have that and it is probably intended only for a bike rack or 2' x 4' steel accessory shelf.

TOW MODE (sold separately) is a software feature that must be activated by Tesla. This I don't have and I am told that Tesla may no longer be willing to enable it (on older or "legacy" vehicles). It has briefly enabled itself on one single occurrence. Good luck.

Last edited: