Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y thoughts after 6 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overall the experience is smooth, comfortable and powerful. Without delving into special features the car runs very stable, smooth and fast. I need cruise control so I don’t get going too fast.
I do have a few critiques. I paid a lot for the self-driving. Frankly, it’s like a 16-year-old who’s nervous and uncertain. I drive mostly in country roads, generally with excellent lane marker lines. It hesitates at a turn, jerking the wheel back and forth. Someone in front of me turned on his right-turn signal and turned off into a normal side stopping place. The car slowed down suddenly, really for no reason. The person behind me almost hit me. At a complex stop light intersection, the car had no concept of not blocking the intersection. A 16-wheeler turned right towards me. The car behind me backed up. Self-driving had no concept of this. As long as you’re cruising along straight with little traffic it’s fine. Anything complicated and it’s confused and dangerous. For this I paid $12,000?
And the navigation is a joke. My Garmin is much better, telling me which lane to be in and giving me an image of the intersection. When I do travel to the city I’ll have to bring my Garmin. Inexcusable in a $62,000 car.
I got good support setting up my wall controller. I needed it as the instructions were impossibly minimal. Many other things I’ve struggled to understand, watching YouTube, etc. Can’t they provide full explanation and support?
Love my car but they have a long way to go to satisfy their claims. I think 20 years.

Reactions: exxxviii
I agree that the promise of FSD seems a long way away. I tried it when I borrowed an MYP from Tesla that had FSB beta enabled. I found it quite untrustworthy so I didn't purchase any extra cost self-driving features. Just basic autopilot, which is helpful on the highway. With rebates, my pre-tax cost on the car for an MYLR will be 39k. It feels like a strong value at that price, but would be much less so at 60k+. The car drives very well and is smooth and powerful. It has excellent traction under heavy acceleration while turning. Its economical to fuel and has great cargo space for the size of vehicle. The seats are comfortable and visibility is great in all directions except directly behind. It doesn't ride very well over broken pavement or across drainage swells that produce a lot of head-toss. The MYP was worse in that regard.

I agree that FSD is terrible but navigation is totally fine for me - and I think for most people in most areas.
We often compare to google maps and it is nearly always the same. There were issues 5 years ago but not now.
The fact that you both have a Garmin and still use it means you are off the bell curve as far as that goes.
Maybe we should do a poll here and see how many people have actually seen a Garmin? I am sure that I have but it has been so long ago that I don't remember what it looks like.
Google maps is the gold standard. Tesla I believe still uses a form of Google maps. Like all mapping algorithms, it may make choices that you don't like. Sometimes taking bumpy roads or even gravel roads if it is the quickest choice.
It also sometimes thinks a road is closed. Wires get crossed but it is pretty rare. I have a new on-ramp near me (2 months old) and one time it thought it was closed and sent me somewhere else. But otherwise, it worked after about a day of having the ramp open.