Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You never really get all the range anyway unless you want to accelerate the degradation of the battery. Think more of like 70% of the rated range (10% SOC to 80% SOC). A lot of supercharger use will accelerate the wear.

I watched an interesting Youtube vid where 2 guys were on a trip, one in the MYP and one in his M3 LR. On about a 5 hour trip, it turned out the MYP took and extra hour or so. They were fine for the first few supercharger stop and stopped pretty much the same with the MYP taking more juice. But one through I think it was Nashville, the MYP couldn't make it and had to detour about 30 min away to as SC to make sure he would have enough energy.

They didn't plan it that way, but they were both surprised what even how impactful that rang difference was on even a short trip. The faster you drive, it is going to be even more significant. According to Edmunds, they said the real world range of an MYP at 100% SOC and driving 75 mph is only about 260 mile until it is totally out of juice. So for most people, that might put you a bit over 220 if you want more of a buffer. If keeping it in the sweet spot of battery health, you end up about 182 miles (using 70% of the charge).

When you start looking at it through that lens, I'll take the extra range and a reason why I ordered an MS as hopefully I can get closer to 300 miles real world range. Around town 180 miles is probably good for most people.

So between LR and P, its really a 8% difference, so with that 182 using 70% of the range, youre looking at ~195. so still not a major difference, maybe a couple mins of supercharging diff on long road trips

So between LR and P, its really a 8% difference, so with that 182 using 70% of the range, youre looking at ~195. so still not a major difference, maybe a couple mins of supercharging diff on long road trips
The MYP according to Edmunds was way off its EPA rating. The M3 LR almost met its. The M3 LR was 353 rated vs. 345 actual. So applying similar efficiency to the MY LR, you get Edmund's real world range of ~318. Take 70% of that and you are looking at 223 miles without worrying about really impacting battery degradation.

So 223 miles vs 182 is significant to me. Easily an extra 30 minutes of driving per charge cycle. Means I can make it to Tampa without stopping and have some reserve. So on a 3 hour drive, it saves me at least 20-30 min by eliminating an SS stop along the way. Of I drive to Atlanta, I can make it with 2 SC stops rather than 3. It is about 22% more range with is pretty significant to me if on a trip. Even around town it could be helpful, especially if I am towing.

You never really get all the range anyway unless you want to accelerate the degradation of the battery. Think more of like 70% of the rated range (10% SOC to 80% SOC). A lot of supercharger use will accelerate the wear.

I watched an interesting Youtube vid where 2 guys were on a trip, one in the MYP and one in his M3 LR. On about a 5 hour trip, it turned out the MYP took and extra hour or so. They were fine for the first few supercharger stop and stopped pretty much the same with the MYP taking more juice. But one through I think it was Nashville, the MYP couldn't make it and had to detour about 30 min away to as SC to make sure he would have enough energy.

They didn't plan it that way, but they were both surprised what even how impactful that rang difference was on even a short trip. The faster you drive, it is going to be even more significant. According to Edmunds, they said the real world range of an MYP at 100% SOC and driving 75 mph is only about 260 mile until it is totally out of juice. So for most people, that might put you a bit over 220 if you want more of a buffer. If keeping it in the sweet spot of battery health, you end up about 182 miles (using 70% of the charge).

When you start looking at it through that lens, I'll take the extra range and a reason why I ordered an MS as hopefully I can get closer to 300 miles real world range. Around town 180 miles is probably good for most people.
I saw a video on Youtube where the MYP beats the MYLR in range by just a few miles. I think it has to do with the tires.

I guess the range difference between the LR and P is minimal;

1. People do not take long road trips everyday, and they do not use all 300 plus miles every day.
2. It might be 1 or 1/2 time less supercharger stops for LR versus P for the long road trip.
I didn't think the range would make a difference either. But for us, we are getting 2 teslas. A model 3 for my wife and a MY LR for me. I will have one charger between the two and will have to share the charging between us. I might be commuting 45 miles each way and work at night so LR means a little more than speed at this point. Plus, I live in SoCal so the extra range would be helpful in getting to San Diego and back without charging. And being a lead foot, I think I'll need a more? And wife points out "we weren't gonna get a Tesla, let alone 2!" hehe.

I didn't think the range would make a difference either. But for us, we are getting 2 teslas. A model 3 for my wife and a MY LR for me. I will have one charger between the two and will have to share the charging between us. I might be commuting 45 miles each way and work at night so LR means a little more than speed at this point. Plus, I live in SoCal so the extra range would be helpful in getting to San Diego and back without charging. And being a lead foot, I think I'll need a more? And wife points out "we weren't gonna get a Tesla, let alone 2!" hehe.

good god 45 miles communit in Cali? Is that at least an hour each way? I use to have to drive from north Denver to south for a 33mile commute. 45 mins in the morning and up to 75 mins in the afternoon. & wish I had autopilot for it. But now even with AP or FSD I could not do that

Reactions: MGsurf
good god 45 miles communit in Cali? Is that at least an hour each way? I use to have to drive from north Denver to south for a 33mile commute. 45 mins in the morning and up to 75 mins in the afternoon. & wish I had autopilot for it. But now even with AP or FSD I could not do that
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that commute. And yes, hour each way... or more, lol. And it's all on the 405 between Irvine and Torrance. I will definitely need the autopilot. Heck, I should spend the extra money that I would have spent for the MYP on the FSD? :oops:

Wow, what a miserable commute. For a while, I was commuting between Palo Alto and Irvine. Did it for almost a year. Leave on Thursday night and back on Sunday. Then it was from Palo Alto to San Diego. That is when I bailed out of California as I was tired of dealing with the miserable traffic and high taxes. Flying wasn't much faster by the time you drove to the airport, parked, checked in, etc. and then all the stuff on the other end.

I grew up in LA and it was already a mess in the 80's and has just gotten worse over the years. I learned if I needed to get anywhere fast, a motorcycle was my best option.

Reactions: MGsurf
Wow, what a miserable commute. For a while, I was commuting between Palo Alto and Irvine. Did it for almost a year. Leave on Thursday night and back on Sunday. Then it was from Palo Alto to San Diego. That is when I bailed out of California as I was tired of dealing with the miserable traffic and high taxes. Flying wasn't much faster by the time you drove to the airport, parked, checked in, etc. and then all the stuff on the other end.

I grew up in LA and it was already a mess in the 80's and has just gotten worse over the years. I learned if I needed to get anywhere fast, a motorcycle was my best option.
Where are you living now? I can’t leave the state even if I wanted to. Nursing is too good of job here than anywhere else. And you really can’t beat the weather.

We moved to Florida for my wife to take a job here. As long as I have access to an airport I am good. Covid screwed her job up so now she is looking for other opportunities and if she can't find anything local, may have to move again. I can't see ever moving back to California until they get a lot of things under control. I have hated seeing so much of the state I grew up in decay during my lifetime. What we save in just state income tax pays for our mortgage, energy costs, insurance, property taxes, our model Y and its insurance. We still have a little left over from our tax savings even after all of those expenses. I found unless you are ultra-wealthy there, or getting lots of benefits, you just get squeezed financially in the middle and the California doesn't care much about you other than getting your money before you do. I would like to thank Florida for letting me keep more of my money and paying for my MY with the savings (and all the other stuff I mentioned). I am not a California hater, just disappointed in its trend the last few decades. Anyway back to the original topic.

I did some 0-60 runs last night with a fairly cold batter and about 75% SOC. Compared to the last MYP I tested (warm battery pack, higher SOC- 95%), the MYP is about 1.2 seconds warmer. I was running just over a tenth of a second slower than Tesla claims for my car. I looked at the Car and Driver road test here. I've put my result next to theirs in red where I have similar info. Then I put their testing for the MYP in green. I haven't run an entire 1/4 mile pass yet. I don't know what their SOC was either. All my times are with Dragy so very accurate. Keep in mind their times are without rollout and Tesla claims 4.8 for the MY LR with rollout. So my times are listed without rollout and that only applies to starting from a stop.

What is interesting, and the comparative data backs this up, is my car has felt pretty sluggish off the line but then seems to be quicker than any other MY LR I've tested and mine is one of the heavier ones (7 seater and tow). I am clearly lagging behind C&D's test LR 0-60. But once mine is rolling, it is clearly getting with it. To put an even finer point on it, when I looked back at my numbers for the MYP from the span of 30-70 mph it was 2.69 seconds vs my 2.72 and the MYP had a higher SOC.

Something even more interesting, at least part of it, is almost all the MYPs lead is put in from about 0-30, 0-40. The rate of acceleration is very similar from that point on. So really up to you if that As you can see the MYP I tested is also quicker in the 30-70 range than the 2020 C&D tested and my car also beats that one as well. I think mine might be quicker than the MYP I tested from 30-70 if I had a higher state of charge. Hope to try that this weekend. If I buy the AB, I am curious if there is any benefit beyond just the 0-30 improvement similar to how the MYP is. If it is only a boost in effect from 0-30, and no real benefit beyond that, not sure it is worth it to me. But if I get a nice drop in my 0-30 time AND it improves times on out, then I'll definitely buy and keep it.

C/D TEST RESULTS MY LR, Mine, MYP
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
60 mph: 4.4 sec 4.70 sec 3.6 sec
130 mph: 17.2 sec 17.8 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec 4.65 sec 3.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.7 sec 0.91 sec 1.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.0 sec 1.81 sec 1.8 sec
Combined stat 30-70 3.7 sec 2.72 sec 3.2 sec - I made this stat for a more interesting one to show the midrange performance of the car

Just bit the bullet. Cancelled my MY LR for the Performance. Back to the end of the line, lol.

3.5 seconds. I just want something like this once in a life time. Good luck y'all!
Grats. I talked the wifey into the same choice, high five. We don't neeeed the 3rd row anyways and you'll always be questioning yourself why ya didn't just go for the P later. And for us, the LR 3rd row loaded was only 5K away (even less with boost) from the P so eschewing the 3rd and just going for it made sense. She loves the P so it worked out.

Just bit the bullet. Cancelled my MY LR for the Performance. Back to the end of the line, lol.

3.5 seconds. I just want something like this once in a life time. Good luck y'all!
Congrats. It will be worth the wait! I test drove the MYLR and really liked it. In all honesty, I would have been happy with it.

But then I test drove the MYP right afterwards. Had my kids with me and everyone could instantly tell the difference. Loved it and immediately placed my order.

Reactions: K5TRX and MGsurf

I don't disagree with you on LA and OC traffic, but it's weird to hear somebody complaining about being tired of traffic when they're electing to commute 1,000 miles a week through two of biggest metro areas in the country LOL

Reactions: ucsdsig
I had no choice. It was either drive or fly. Flying didn't save me much time by the time I drove to the airport, parked, checked in, go through TSA, fly, get a rental car and drive to the work site. I had more control over my schedule driving. On the plus side, I earned mileage for driving and flying there weren't enough miles to matter.

I bought a motorcyle for the commute when there was good weather and it paid for itself very quickly. Not to mention lane splitting really speeded up my commute and you could make up some time on some stretches of the road.

LR with AB please have been getting like 4.0 to 4.1 or so with rollout removed. I think the early 2020 Y's came with the 980 rear motor(same as the P) so maybe that is why? Yes if they made a P without the rims, suspension,spoiler and for a price in between the two, I would have gotten hands down.
MY LR no AB but with the 980 motor. 12.9 @ 111mph 1/4mile.
It always pulls faster than what it should. Love to compare the MY LR with and without the 980. Who's to say they didn't dial down all the performance power. With the 980 though, there are aftermarket options.
messages_0 (3).jpeg

Reactions: whisperingshad
Good run. Have you checked your 0-60 Darmie? It would be interesting to see. With your 12.9 run, you are closing the gap on a MYP at the end compared to what the cars do comparatively 0-60. C&D said their MYP ran a 12.1. If the gap 0-60 is LR 4.8 vs P 3.7 sec (no rollout) that equates to a 1.1 second advantage early one. By the end of the 1/4, are only .8 seconds behind and very close to the same trap speed.

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.6 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph

Obviously with your 980 motor you have some good options if you don't care about warranty.

I’m sorry, but “only” .5 seconds to 60 and “only“ .8 seconds in the 1/4 is illegal use of the word “only”. That’s a LOT To a racer. A LOT. As in it’s not even close.
Put it in context. Neither of these is a race car. If you bought either of these to race, you bought the wrong car. Neither of these is even close to the M3P in performance. Hell, the M3 LR with boost would be a good match up for the MYP in a straight line.

The point is, the MYP has an early lead but his MY LR clearly was making up some of that time. It just comes back to the MYP's performance is biased for the initial acceleration off the line. After that it clearly flattens out. It is not some amazing supercar. If you want to compare one magazine tests, look at C&D's tests for both cars.

Yes, the MYP beat the stock MY LR 0-60 and in the 1/4. Look a bit deeper and the MY LR beat the MYP to 130 mph by almost 0.6 seconds. So obviously the MYP was being ran down at higher speeds by the lowly LR. So maybe dig a bit deeper in your brain and think about this for a moment. The MYP gave up a pretty significant lead and was being out accelerated by the base MY LR. I would like to know why that is happening if I had a MYP. It is supposed to have about a 50 HP advantage (or possibly more) and if there is any place it should able to continue to show that you would think at high speeds.

Maybe you feel the need to impress someone with how quick your car is. I don't know. I look at the data and see where it leads me. I have considerably quicker vehicles than the MYP its slightly quicker time 0-60 didn't really matter to me given the premium asked for it. If it somehow empowered you, or made you feel good to drive a MYP, good for you. I never felt the need to impress anyone by what I drive.