Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y or 3 Highland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are quite set on buying the Model Y after a few thorough drives. While we briefly check out the M3 Highland at the sales centre, we didn't consider it as good value as the price are pretty much the same. I've not been a fan of gen 1 Model 3 due to its build quality. However the refreshed Model 3 has seen positive improvements. However Tesla just dropped the M3H significantly and it got us re-thinking our choices. The Tesla will be an additional car. We also have a BMW wagon that we will keep. Therefore I am thinking maybe the M3 Highland might work out as our primary commuter vehicle. Looking at RWD variants for both models.

I feel the MY with the additional space would be nice for family trips and hauling stuff. Although the latter can be done with our Bimmer. Also I feel it looks a bit more upscale than the M3 tbh. However it is an aging design with Juniper probably landing next year. We can enjoy the M3H now. Damn Tesla for dropping the M3H price that much!
Thoughts????

Stop listening to the FUD about build quality. The vast majority of people have no issues and love the build quality.
the Model 3 and Model Y are very similar cars and built on very similar lines, so very similar build qualities.

The Model 3 is a great car. My early 2018 Model 3 had no build quality issues and has suited me extremely well for many years and gets awesome mileage, essentially the best of any Tesla.

The Model Y sits higher, can be easier to get into and out of. From the drivers seat, aside from riding a little higher, I cannot tell the difference between mt Model 3 and Model Y, even though they are different colors.

The model Y has the open liftgate trunk. The Model 3 is like a sedan. Mt dad's wheelchair fits in the Model 3 better than the Model Y. The Model 3's storage is just deep and cavernous.

Either car is a great trip car. We are a two Tesla family with no ICE vehicles.

Take the Model Y Long Range 4WD and get rid of your aging BMW which would become more and costly to maintain and insurance payments.
There is no maintenace cost on Tesla except tires and no dealerships and their mechanics to get scam by.

If you can, then wait for the Juniper update, but beside the second screen for the rear passengers there will be not too much noticeable changes.
I believe that the current Model Y already has the HW4 hardware update(?)

Some worthwhile updates that I am looking for, but would not happen soon, would be:
- Larger battery and 400 to 500 miles range
- Bi-Directional Charging, like the current Cybertruck
- Adaptive damping suspension like the Model 3 Performance "Ludicrous"

Last edited:
Re: BMW, likely to keep it and pass on to my daughter. It is equipped with a hitch and we have a little trailer to haul stuff around.
I maintain all my cars, I have yet to spend a dime on labour costs which is generally highest. Having a garage lift helps.

I do like the 2024 Y we drove. It's quite airy and was quiet enough for us. But the Highland's improvements at the new discounted price piqued our interested. It's also freshly redesigned. I supposed I can wait for Juniper Y. But who really knows when and at what price point.

Reactions: gtae07 and Watts_Up
I do like the 2024 Y we drove. It's quite airy and was quiet enough for us. But the Highland's improvements at the new discounted price piqued our interested. It's also freshly redesigned. I supposed I can wait for Juniper Y. But who really knows when and at what price point.
Another consideration for the Y: it’s currently the only Tesla car/SUV still made with stalks and a traditional wheel. Make sure you drive the new 3 before you decide.

Re: BMW, likely to keep it and pass on to my daughter. It is equipped with a hitch and we have a little trailer to haul stuff around.
I maintain all my cars, I have yet to spend a dime on labour costs which is generally highest. Having a garage lift helps.

I also have an older GTI, it is so easy to park in the city...

I find the Model 3 is more fun to drive (sportier) but the Model Y offers more utility and has a lot more space in the rear seat (if that matters). I have a dog that I need to take with me so the Y, with its hatchback, just made more sense. If not for the dog, I’d prob have gotten whichever was cheaper as both RWD variants are nice cars (a friend just picked up a Highland RWD yesterday, Ultra Red, and I like how they did the dash and door cards for that trim level). One other thing to consider, I think the Highland RWD has a better stereo than the 2024 Model Y RWD (which is not the same stereo as was in the 2023 Model Y RWD).

Reactions: Dear_OP
Another consideration for the Y: it’s currently the only Tesla car/SUV still made with stalks and a traditional wheel. Make sure you drive the new 3 before you decide.

One of the biggest reasons I bought the current 2024 MYLR is due to the stalks (blinkers and gear). As my first Tesla I felt it would be too much of a learning for me to take on a M3 highland. I'm glad to have got the Y at the discounts I did.

Same here. I didn’t want my elderly folks who may drive my car to be even more intimidated without traditional controls. I think one pedal drive will be welcome as my dad has issues finding the correct pedal due to neuropathy.

Reactions: primedive
In my case the MY wins regardless... hatch, stalks, hitch, higher seats. I would like the ventilated Highland seats and maybe the rear screen, but not enough to "upgrade" and lose the stalks.
For me personally, the softer ride and comfort of the M3 Highland was the only criteria I would have considered as plus over the Y, not considering the interior lights and changed bumper. But nonetheless, the higher seating and stalks (and of course the discounts) seemed to make Y a better proposition over the 3 even though the 3 was the newer version. I don't regret it one bit.

M3 is a driver's car and MY is a stuff hauler. So if you don't need to haul stuff and like to drive. M3 is your car. M3P is the best car since it's cheaper and faster and better in almost every way vs other M3 variants except range.

M3 is a driver's car and MY is a stuff hauler. So if you don't need to haul stuff and like to drive. M3 is your car. M3P is the best car since it's cheaper and faster and better in almost every way vs other M3 variants except range.
Model 3P isn’t always the cheapest Model 3. If you are leasing, or your AGI is $300k, then M3P is the most expensive.