Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y insurance and repair questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I purchased a Model Y in July 2023, and it's been great for the first 8,000 miles. Unfortunately, I was recently rear-ended quite hard, but thankfully, both I and my Model Y held up well. The only casualty was my large dog who got quite a scare and is now hesitant to get back in the car.

The driver who hit me is insured by State Farm, and my experience with them so far hasn't been great. They requested a photo estimate, which I submitted through their app, and they returned a lowball offer of $3,400, citing the use of used parts.

I then obtained two additional estimates: one from a local shop for about $4,700 and another from a Tesla service center for $7,500. None of these estimates include a tear-down to check for potential hidden damage.

I'm in a bit of a bind financially, as I'm currently dealing with a house sale and job loss. Ideally, I'd like to receive a fair compensation amount from the insurance to cover the actual repair costs, but delay the actual repairs. I have some mechanical experience and believe I can undertake some of the work myself later on.

The challenge I'm facing is getting a thorough estimate without a tear-down. I've approached multiple repair shops with cash offers for a detailed estimate, but so far, no luck. Does anyone in the Pasadena area have recommendations for a good shop that might be willing to assist?

Bit of side comedy I am pretty certain the woman that hit me was in the middle of taking a bong rip when she hit me. After the hit she had broken glass all over her chest and driver seat. I offered to help her cut away her air bags so she could drive away and nearly got high leaning in her car. Honestly doesn't effect the situation just some comical take away. Ive watched the tesla replay a few times but cant confirm 100%.

In short, I need advice on how to navigate this situation with State Farm to receive fair compensation, considering my current financial constraints and intent to delay repairs. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!