Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y failed NC state inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to get my 2020 model Y for a NC state inspection, but the technician failed my inspection due to the rear passenger windows were tinted too dark from factory. My Model apparently was coded as a "Sedan" on the NC state inspection printout and he refused to believe my Model Y was classified as a SUV, which does not need to be inspected for tinted rear passenger window for SUV, trucks, and vans. He told me I needed to get a waiver from the DMV to pass my Model Y because of my tinted rear windows even through the tinted windows were from the factory. I went to an AAA service center for a second opinion and they approved my NC inspection by N/A tinted window section. They classified my Model y as a SUV, but the inspection printout still said "Sedan". It was just a big waste of time at the first shop. Are Model Y classified as sedan in NC, or are they only recently classified as SUV from the IRS tax credit, or did I just get the wrong guy to do my inspection?

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
He didn't charge my for an emission test but it was a $10 charge for tinted windows test
I understand there is no emissions test - only safety test for EV. Here in NY the cost is $10. And the MY is considered a SUV - in Tesla's website and every report comparing SUVs. It seems that technician is not experienced with cars.

He didn't charge my for an emission test but it was a $10 charge for tinted windows.
You got taken I think and this all sounds fishy. Here in NC there is no emission test for EVs but there is the safety check (lights, horn, wipers, etc.) for $13.60, the same charge applies at any licensed inspection site. While there are tint limits, I’ve not heard of anyone ever having their add-on tinting formally inspected unless required as a result of a traffic stop and citation. And even that’s pretty rare.

You may wish to ask the offending site to show you the tint requirement and reasons for the inspection. Or report to the local BBB, or go to social media (facebook, nextdoor, whatever) to share your unhappy experience.

It sounds on the one hand to be a $10 issue. What might be helpful would be people posting businesses where they've have good results getting an EV inspected. Mine is too new for inspection so I don't know if my favorite inspection station will also do a good job with EVs.