Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery Expectations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I recently ordered a Tesla Model Y through my workplace salary sacrifice scheme (supplier: LexAutoLease). The deal was advertised for "immediate" delivery. I made the order in May and received an order confirmation SMS from Tesla this Tuesday.

When I initially placed the order, they said mid-June delivery, but now that it has been "confirmed," they said there is no way to know how long it could be. They said Tesla could text me any time this week to deliver it, or it could still be weeks away, even in July. Apparently, no other update can be provided until Tesla sends that delivery SMS at some random time in the future.

Is this the normal delivery process? What have been people's experiences ordering vehicles "in stock"? Should I still be hopeful for delivery in the next week or so? I will be away all of July, hence why I was keen to order something "in stock".

Thanks in advance!

"Immediate" delivery only really applies to inventory vehicles. This month I ordered my MY from inventory on a Thursday and it was available for collection the following Thursday. Otherwise you have to wait for Tesla to match your order to an incoming shipment. Unless you're very unlucky, you'll get matched to a vehicle that is already on its way so you're then just waiting for the ship to arrive and then a week or so for the vehicle to find its way to the collection point where it *should* be given a pre-delivery inspection. You'll know things are getting nearer when you know your VIN. When I ordered a M3 through company lease, it took just over a month from me placing the order to receiving the car.

I am not sure if you can do this with a lease order but plenty of people in the past have found an inventory vehicle themselves then called Tesla up and switched their existing order to that vehicle and got it straight away. Often with a discount.

You call the lease company to assign your purchased RN number to the new lease. Worked well for me in the end, but I would strongly recommend giving your lease company the heads up as Tesla want to get rid of the available immediately cars, so actually move quickly

Thanks all. I am under the impression that it should be an inventory vehicle, as pre-sales they said the vehicle is "sitting in a yard in the UK", ready to be delivered. I don't have a VIN or anything else other than the RN Tesla sent me 4 days ago.

I've asked the leasing company to provide more info and hopefully they can clarify. It was helpful

They said Tesla could text me any time this week to deliver it, or it could still be weeks away, even in July

Slightly unfortunate timing.

For cars from China Tesla deliver in the run up (6-8 weeks, say) to a quarter's end - which will be end of June. After that there will be no boats arriving until mid July ...

Unless your vehicle is coming from Germany ... sorry, I've lost touch which which models are made where, but I think RHD Model-Y is still China.

You might get a call saying "Collect immediately", in particular if a cancellation matches you requirement (that happens a fair bit - e.g. Lease companies bulk-buy and then when cars become available cancel if they can't shift all of them, and regular punters may not be able to acquire funds, in time, or might be "out of country" (Tesla won't extend their collection date by much) and so on.

But I agree with other above, finding an inventory car that matches your spec (or one you would be happy with) and switching the RN would get you the car soonest. Its likely there will be spare cars in the run up to end of quarter - i.e. over the next 2 weeks. But you would have to be in a position to complete the sale and take delivery, by end-June for Tesla to want you to have the car - otherwise they will prioritise someone else who can do that.

That is driven by Wall Street wanting to see "numbers" at the end of each quarter.

The store manager mentioned that inventory is piling up due stock arriving of a boat on 9th June, and another ship is scheduled to arrive on 22nd.

I expect that is tosh. There have been previous quarters where there was considerable inventory at Quarter End, especially when new factory production capacity came on stream (and coincided with economic downturn), but Tesla has dropped price significantly since then to generate demand.

I would expect anything coming on a boat to have already been allocated to existing orders, Tesla will want them all sold by End June (end of quarter accounting), so unlikely they are not already allocated. There will be cancellations ... which will go into inventory, and that will be hundreds of cars ... but I doubt it will be more than that

To put that into perspective Staines shifts around 200 cars a day at this time of the quarter.

Tesla stock price is skyrocketing, which suggests the punters have knowledge that production-to-order matching is high.

Asked the leasing company some questions based on this thread. E.g. is the car actually in the UK or coming in on a shipment, have I been assigned yet, etc. They said:
  • Estimated delivery: Tesla only provides a "Q2 2023" estimate. Current deliveries are aimed for late June/early July, your order may fall within this timeframe, but it can't be guaranteed.
  • Tesla will provide all delivery information and you will know the delivery date before we do.
  • A VIN is only assigned once Tesla sends you an SMS with the delivery details.
  • We can't allocate or assign vehicles. Tesla doesn't provide us with any insight into this process.
Bear in mind, when I placed the order, they said it was available immediately from stock 🤔

It sounds like they don't have a clue. Will await this SMS from Tesla. It'll be one week tomorrow since I received my first SMS with the RN number.

Oh was it your lease who said available from stock? They probably have no idea in reality unless they pre-purchase, but clearly they didn’t.
You can move things along by paying the deposit on an actual available for delivery at on Tesla site and giving the new RN to your lease co…as I said call them first tho

When they say ‘delivery’ they usually mean collection…
Your lease co will email you to update timings info, but not till Tesla assign VIN with their order.
To set some expectations, if you don’t already have the details then it won’t be for the next 6 weeks at least I would reckon. You might be lucky and pick up a cancelled order, but I wouldn’t plan on it.

As in they just show up unannounced or I need to keep chasing them?
Well my delivery day sucked. IIRC they specified the day and I was at my desk in the back of the house occasionally watching the feed from the cameras on the front, when suddenly it was there. When I reviewed the film later they'd just dropped it off, taken some CYA photos and buggered off. No knocking on the door, no guiding me through the process of opening the vehicle and pairing the key card. Plus they left it probably a little too close to a fire hydrant and directly opposite a parked van, so just waiting to get hit by some work truck barreling down the street.

Other than that though . . .

I expect that is tosh. There have been previous quarters where there was considerable inventory at Quarter End, especially when new factory production capacity came on stream (and coincided with economic downturn), but Tesla has dropped price significantly since then to generate demand.

I would expect anything coming on a boat to have already been allocated to existing orders, Tesla will want them all sold by End June (end of quarter accounting), so unlikely they are not already allocated. There will be cancellations ... which will go into inventory, and that will be hundreds of cars ... but I doubt it will be more than that

To put that into perspective Staines shifts around 200 cars a day at this time of the quarter.

Tesla stock price is skyrocketing, which suggests the punters have knowledge that production-to-order matching is high.

It will be interesting to see how the sales go for June especially with the 10%+ off that they have been running for the past few weeks on existing inventory, the people that track deliveries are expecting less than the past 2 quarters

Reactions: WannabeOwner