Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y bumper corner scratch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed a big scratch in the left corner scratch of my front bumper. It does have PPF so the damage might have been more severe without it. Does it look like it was a scrape from another car or a wall? I checked my sentry videos and haven't found anyone hitting my car in the past couple of days. I was parked in a tight parking spot a few days ago. I don't remember the sensors going off that I was too close to the wall.

Do you think the bumper can be repainted or just buffed out?

IMG_1675.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 2.05.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 2.05.32 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 237
I peeled off the ppf near the heavily damaged area. The deep scratch looks like it hit the primer. The white long scratches look like it's ppf damage and the paint underneath should be ok.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 3.20.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 3.20.09 PM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 3.19.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 3.19.52 PM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 191
I did the same thing to mine. Didn't realize I ever hit anything with it. I park in a parking garage so it looks like I hit a plastic marker or something.

Some meguires ultimate compound buffed out everything that didn't scrape through to the plastic, so mine isn't really as noticeable unless I'm looking for it.

I just got a quote from a Tesla shop for $1200 to repair. $200 just to remove the ppf.
I tried using some touch up paint but it looks really bad. Also tried sanding it down a little and now got a haze around the spot. Here are my options.

1. Pay out of pocket. $1200 for repair + $700 for ppf = $1900. If I remove the ppf myself, I can save $200 and that would cost me $1700 total.
2. Pay the $1000 insurance deductible and have Tesla insurance cover everything. However, I think my premium will go up so this might cost me more in the long run.
3. Look for an exterior detailer who can do a better touch up job that I can.

What do you guys think?