Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y automatic carwash and trim discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Just had a few questions before getting an automatic carwash since I will not be hand washing.

I've seen some worrying post of people having discoloration around the trim after touchless carwashes, does that also apply to the brush washes? Also have the newer 23 cars addressed this or are all models using the same trim?

I know it my be a pain, but would covering the trim with something like painters tape before the wash be a good idea?

I mostly plan on subscribing to a local automatic brush wash that just opened up and haven't really read of people dealing with discoloration from those specific style washes.

Any guidance and experiences would help a lot, Thank you.

Reactions: Thomas7
I believe (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the trim "discoloration" is due to the high PH level (high acidity) used in some of the cleaning agents at the washes and has nothing to do with whether or not they use brushes or are brushless. You will want to find a place that uses "PH Balanced" chemicals. A brushless car wash would be much more ideal for your MY, as those non-brushless washes will tend to add micro scratches to the fragile paint inherent in our cars.

Reactions: Teachgirl
From my understanding, the "touchless/brushless" washes use much stronger chemicals, and that is what has caused discoloration on some cars. My MYP has been through a high quality microfiber brushed wash probably 40 times with zero issues. I did coat the entire car with two coats of ceramic (Avalon King) when I bought it, and a year later it still beads water like crazy.

Hi, Just had a few questions before getting an automatic carwash since I will not be hand washing.

I've seen some worrying post of people having discoloration around the trim after touchless carwashes, does that also apply to the brush washes? Also have the newer 23 cars addressed this or are all models using the same trim?

I know it my be a pain, but would covering the trim with something like painters tape before the wash be a good idea?

I mostly plan on subscribing to a local automatic brush wash that just opened up and haven't really read of people dealing with discoloration from those specific style washes.

Any guidance and experiences would help a lot, Thank you.
Due to high ph level in the water or soap. Try this wipe. Fixed the discoloured for me permanently on our 2023 Model Y

In two years with an unlimited carwash subscription, I've had maybe 50 "touch" washes with no trim discoloration, micro-scratches, or damage of any kind. Seems like your experience would depend on the carwash you choose.

Well, one problem: If I forget to remove the clip-on front license holder, it gets ripped off. But no damage to the plastic lower grille, where it's mounted.

Reactions: csrpenfab