Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Front Windshield Wiper Blades Not User Serviceable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently those wiper blades dont work well in -20C (-4F) weather and i bought a pair of bosch envision (the icon replacement) and i realized its impossible to do it.

The wiper has fluid tube connected and it looks like clipped to the wiper assembly but not easy to take the tube off.

Tried search in the forum but no useful info

Tried to YouTube but no help

Anyone has experience of replacement of the wiper blades?

I see some people got replaced by SC for free but i dont see those blade would work well in such cold climate (unless the new replacement is from bosch lol)

• Helpful
Reactions: dmsail and Cowby
Recommendation: at my first annual service, the wipers were replaced. I ask the service tech to toss the old ones in the frunk so I would have a spare set for an emergency replacement if needed. They had no problem with this.
I have searched high and low online to buy new replacements, but @McManX is right, they cannot be found except at Service Centers.

Recommendation: at my first annual service, the wipers were replaced. I ask the service tech to toss the old ones in the frunk so I would have a spare set for an emergency replacement if needed. They had no problem with this.
I have searched high and low online to buy new replacements, but @McManX is right, they cannot be found except at Service Centers.

Good idea to keep the old ones. They replaced mine every time I went in, even for non annual service, so some didn't get a ton of use.

Reactions: Cowby
Oh that sucks, I though I could bring my own and they can install on top of it (as I see the spay assembly can be possible removed and attach to another blade assembly but it could be one piece)

The factory one definitely need improvement, they are not working great in extremely cold winter at all

Reactions: Rossy and Cowby
They are terrible. Love the car but these are the worst ever wipers I have ever had. The uneven fluid, the streaks and let's not forget the last wipe when everything is dry and you go... fu...another streak.
Havent seen one person happy with them in cold weather. I mean cold weather like - 29C (-20F) with snow and slush and salt. This is what we're getting again this week.

A 20K car has no problem in this (Montreal) weather because you can get WINTER wipers... And clip them in less than 2 minutes.

Come on Tesla...
Let us service our wipers or :
  • Get us real winter wipers on a 150K$ car
  • Add a toggle for " I want a courtesy wipe or not"
  • Stop the wipers when *I* want to
Sorry - couldn't stop, feel better now, will breathe again...

On my Model X when I was in Montreal last week the windshield area in front of the driver could not be cleaned properly by the wiper at highway speed of 60mph. When the car is stopped it can be cleaned ok after 3 or 4 wipes. Is this normal?

On my Model X when I was in Montreal last week the windshield area in front of the driver could not be cleaned properly by the wiper at highway speed of 60mph. When the car is stopped it can be cleaned ok after 3 or 4 wipes. Is this normal?

Hly, this does not happen with any other car. No not normal. Who wants to stop a car to clean properly!?
Maybe it's the city you're in (sarcasm)

I had a situation where the passengers wiper flew off (possibly due to accumulated ice on the far right edge of the windshield?). Lucky for me I was not moving at the time. Needless to say I was a bit surprised. The service center got me in the same day and had it fixed in just a few min.

Aside from that rather disconcerting incident, I have not had any problem with the wipers yet (3 months in on my X). The true test will be during a road trip in the snow - and I am sure that will be coming before too long.

• Informative
They are terrible. Love the car but these are the worst ever wipers I have ever had. The uneven fluid, the streaks and let's not forget the last wipe when everything is dry and you go... fu...another streak.
Havent seen one person happy with them in cold weather. I mean cold weather like - 29C (-20F) with snow and slush and salt. This is what we're getting again this week.

A 20K car has no problem in this (Montreal) weather because you can get WINTER wipers... And clip them in less than 2 minutes.

Come on Tesla...
Let us service our wipers or :
  • Get us real winter wipers on a 150K$ car
  • Add a toggle for " I want a courtesy wipe or not"
  • Stop the wipers when *I* want to
Sorry - couldn't stop, feel better now, will breathe again...

Extremely Agreed!
Mercedes got all those right at least

Extremely Agreed!
Mercedes got all those right at least
They suck, no doubt about it..mine were supposed to be replaced at 20,0000 km: as there was no stock they were replaced recently at 40,000km obviously they were completely beaten up and not functioning. I always carry a spray bottle with appropriate washer fluid and use it at supercharging.
I switch on the so called wiper heater 5 to10 min prior to using the washer. Psychologically feel it helps, not sure if it does in my weather.

• Informative
CBY yeah must be the city. My char does not function properly there, tabernacle!

On a more serious note does your wipers wipe uniformly? Seems like mine do not exert enough pressure and cannot clean properly some areas at highway speed. I'll ask Tesla SC next time I am there.

• Helpful
CBY yeah must be the city. My char does not function properly there, tabernacle!

On a more serious note does your wipers wipe uniformly? Seems like mine do not exert enough pressure and cannot clean properly some areas at highway speed. I'll ask Tesla SC next time I am there.
No uniform pressure at all. Never seen one, even the new ones replaced recently did not uniformly clean even on day one on highway.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl and Cowby
Short answer is: no you cannot replace

There are a few threads on this but.the reason is the fluid comes through holes in the rubber blades and these are not sold to the publi. Tesla service can replace them for you.

Too funny, they are the easiest wiper blades I have ever replaced! I ordered new ones from Tesla SC and replaced them in 2 minutes. They are made by Bosch for Tesla (see Tesla name on bracket), but, as far as I can tell, you can't buy them from Bosch, you have to order them from your Tesla Service Center. Note the perforations and the hose assembly. $55.00 plus tax, oddly no shipping charges were added, so total with tax was $59.13.
WiperBlades 1.jpg

Attachments

• Wiperblades2.jpg
    Wiperblades2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 106
Too funny, they are the easiest wiper blades I have ever replaced! I ordered new ones from Tesla SC and replaced them in 2 minutes. They are made by Bosch for Tesla (see Tesla name on bracket), but, as far as I can tell, you can't buy them from Bosch, you have to order them from your Tesla Service Center. Note the perforations and the hose assembly. $55.00 plus tax, oddly no shipping charges were added, so total with tax was $59.13. View attachment 271333

I change my answer to: You can replace but must purchase blades from a Tesla SvC.

$55.00 plus tax, oddly no shipping charges were added, so total with tax was $59.13.

Such a bargin. Mercedes was the first to use these blades (made by Bosch) in the R231 SL Class under their trademark "Magic Vision Control". The list price from the MB dealer is nearly $200 per set. They have tricked down to lower models like the 2018 E-Class.

sorry for the delay answering.

No they don't. The lower part of both take forever to clean (if you ask for fluid). Also, when you stop pressing on water fluid, it keeps going forever. Then stops... for a second or two then gives it another wipe... which leaves a beautiful new streak. Clearly designed for nevada, where there is little snow, rain or cold.

They suck, no doubt about it..mine were supposed to be replaced at 20,0000 km: as there was no stock they were replaced recently at 40,000km obviously they were completely beaten up and not functioning. I always carry a spray bottle with appropriate washer fluid and use it at supercharging.
I switch on the so called wiper heater 5 to10 min prior to using the washer. Psychologically feel it helps, not sure if it does in my weather.
Agreed. You "want to believe" the wiper heater will help but I tried with or without to no avail...