Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S75 Vs Model S100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three cases for a 100 -
  • Day/weekend trips - say to a city without supercharging. The times I appreciate the 100 the most is when I spend a weekend away (Austin -> San Antonio for example) and I cannot find a hotel with destination charging and there is not a supercharger.

I wrestled with this dilemma too before deciding on the 75D a couple of weeks ago. It seems that most non-supercharger destinations I might travel to have places to stay with charging access but they may be more expensive than places where I would normally stay. I figure that with the extra 20K I can increase my options and splurge on some really nice places to stay which offer charging access.

I wrestled with this dilemma too before deciding on the 75D a couple of weeks ago. It seems that most non-supercharger destinations I might travel to have places to stay with charging access but they may be more expensive than places where I would normally stay. I figure that with the extra 20K I can increase my options and splurge on some really nice places to stay which offer charging access.
Very much agree on the money. Sometimes it’s also location, but typically one can find a place.

I also make sure to write a letter to the hotel and the corporate office after a stay, to let them know the charging was why I stayed.

I’ve also written a few telling why I didn’t stay at a place I previously frequented.

For me it was the performance aspect that made the decision for me, with the range being the cherry on top. Tesla says it's only .1 a sec faster 0-60, but in reality, it's much more like .5 (and even bigger in the 1/4 mile). Also, the way the power comes on is totally different as well. The 75D accelerates faster from a stop, but then stops pulling at higher speeds. The 100D is the opposite, starting out slowly, then building all the way up. The biggest difference is when you're going 45 mph and punch it. You can really feel the difference!

Also, the supercharging stays fast longer. Please see below's thread post #426:

A Better Routeplanner

BTX5 is the 75's battery. You can see that it charges at around 100 kW until around 50%, then drops off. The BTX6 (100D) charges at almost 120 kW until almost 60%, then drops off. Also remember, each percentage of charge is greater in the 100D vs. the 75D, so basically, you're supercharging faster, longer.

Again, if you're happy with the performance of the 75D and you don't plan on taking any trips, then definitely save the $19.5k!

• Helpful
Reactions: PrGrPa
It's the cold weather. I've seen higher, but this was the only screenshot I have from when I was supercharging.

Supercharging.PNG

I purchased a 75 at the end of 2017. I would love to have a 100, but I just couldn't justify the extra $20,000. For the way I drive (rarely trips >500 miles, monthly trips of ~120 miles, daily usage of 40-50 miles on average) having the 100 would realistically save me maybe 3-4 hours per year in Supercharging time. Averaged out over 5 years, that comes out to ~$1100 per hour of saved time. It just isn't worth it to me.

The dual drive vs RWD was a little tougher decision because it involves intangibles such as better handling on snow and a tighter grip on the road. However, in the end I decided that I would much rather have money in my pocket than having a minimally improved handing experience with the dual drive.

I wish they would still offer the S75. In my opinion, it was the best value they offered.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Sell your car elsewhere. Tesla will give you a low offer for your trade in. They're not even making decent offers on used Tesla's.
I was going to trade in my 2016 Avalon Hybrid that only has 9,000 miles on it, fully loaded, but CarMax, of course, offered me wholesale and I am sure Tesla would not have done any better, so I actually sold it myself for several thousands more to someone who lives in my neighborhood. They buyer is super excited and so am I. I listed it on "Nextdoor" this past Friday night and it was sold to the first person who looked at it on Saturday. I am taking delivery of my Model S tomorrow, so timing couldn't have been any more perfect and my buyer is getting an absolutely like brand new car in perfect condition, inside and out.

I purchased a 75 at the end of 2017. I would love to have a 100, but I just couldn't justify the extra $20,000. For the way I drive (rarely trips >500 miles, monthly trips of ~120 miles, daily usage of 40-50 miles on average) having the 100 would realistically save me maybe 3-4 hours per year in Supercharging time. Averaged out over 5 years, that comes out to ~$1100 per hour of saved time. It just isn't worth it to me.

The dual drive vs RWD was a little tougher decision because it involves intangibles such as better handling on snow and a tighter grip on the road. However, in the end I decided that I would much rather have money in my pocket than having a minimally improved handing experience with the dual drive.

I wish they would still offer the S75. In my opinion, it was the best value they offered.
I also think that climate plays a huge part in the D vs non D, up here in Canada when I see someone with a 60 or 75 that is not a D I'm like seriously?!@ This is Montreal half the year is awful snow and ice and you really want that AWD up here! But I think if you live in Florida or Arizona or Cali or Nevada I mean I think that the D is not as useful.

Lots of snow and ice in our Cali mountains. The Mammoth area had more than fifty feet of snow last year, and the ski area stayed open into August. My first S85D trip took me through six inches of fresh snow up there ... on Memorial Day weekend (late May).

And, “nevada” literally means snowy in Spanish.

carbonx,

thank you for your advice, I am looking at a s75 right now. Does the D make that much a difference in the real world. Daily commute is 32 miles roundtrip and Level 2 charger at work so supercharging is not really needed, a nice perk though. The other car we have is the family car, thought about the Model X but cant justify the $40K price difference...

Did you get your model S new or inventory or showroom discount? Is there much of a difference?
The 75D has more range than the rear wheel drive. Plus it has all wheel drive to help out in those San Francisco snowstorms!
With all the superchargers being built throughout the States and southern Canada, a road trip anywhere with the 75D is quite doable.
Even with a 100D, you still have to stop for food every couple of hundred miles anyway, so why not supercharge at these locations anyway with a 75D? A 100D would have been nice in 2012 when the Model S first came out with no Superchargers. Today, it is a non issue.
I drive a 75D out of town all the time and have no issues.

I also think that climate plays a huge part in the D vs non D, up here in Canada when I see someone with a 60 or 75 that is not a D I'm like seriously?!@ This is Montreal half the year is awful snow and ice and you really want that AWD up here! But I think if you live in Florida or Arizona or Cali or Nevada I mean I think that the D is not as useful.
Hey, Montreal by the way is NOT covered in snow half the year. The snow season is usually the beginning of December to the end of March! No different than Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland etc.

I really wanted the extra performance of 100D. But the added "oomph" just wasn't worth $20k when in real life conditions the 75D is plenty fast and has enough range. Living in Cali I have easy access to superchargers and mild weather. YMMV

I was also drawn to the 75D because I can get all the same goodies and options as a 100D. If Tesla bundled certain must-have options so that they were only available on the higher end car, that may have made a difference.

OP, what did you decide?

Hey, Montreal by the way is NOT covered in snow half the year. The snow season is usually the beginning of December to the end of March! No different than Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland etc.

Issue for us Canadians is definitely winter range reduction. Quite literally up to 50% in anything -10c and lower. Assuming heat on, heated seats, steering wheel.

I could not imagine a S75D in cold days with only 200km of actual useable range. Forget an X75D
Up here the 100kw pack makes logical sense based on range anxiety concerns.

If we lived mid to lower states, I could consider a 75.