Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Owners Have Priority Model 3 Orders Over Non-Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that some say it's good they are rewarding early adopters, but imagine a new high end restaurant opened up that everyone couldn't stop talking about, and you hadn't been able to make it down there to eat for whatever reason, but you've wanted to for a long time and planned on going as soon as everything lined up. You finally get a chance to go, and show up early on Saturday afternoon because you know it's going to be packed and there is a chance you won't even get in.

You're the first one there so you get in line. You wait for 4 hours for them to open. The maitre d' walks up and says, "Sorry, you haven't eaten here before. We're letting those that already supported us get ahead of you in line, doesn't matter that they just showed up. Oh, and that gift card for the wine shop next door everyone's been getting? They only enough left for those that eat here in the next hour or so, so you'll probably miss out on that too. Sorry about that."

Yeah, this kinda took the wind out of the sails of those of us that have been waiting and planning on this for years.

Reactions: houdini
I based what I said on what Elon Musk said not once but twice in the last six months in the front of groups of people. He is the man and as the head and largest stockholder of Tesla I have to believe what he says is true. Who else are you to believe?

Except that he never ever explicitly said there would be no prototype. He made a couple statements that were vague and you may or may not have interpreted that way. However, contrast that to the official company communication from a couple days ago that the event on the 31st is the "Model 3 prototype unveiling", which couldn't be clearer.

Now that they have officially stated that they are going to unveil a prototype on the 31st can you give this a rest? Please.

I based what I said on what Elon Musk said not once but twice in the last six months in the front of groups of people. He is the man and as the head and largest stockholder of Tesla I have to believe what he says is true. Who else are you to believe?
You base what you say on a misquote of what he said. I believe the entire quote, and the context.

I get that some say it's good they are rewarding early adopters, but imagine a new high end restaurant opened up that everyone couldn't stop talking about, and you hadn't been able to make it down there to eat for whatever reason, but you've wanted to for a long time and planned on going as soon as everything lined up. You finally get a chance to go, and show up early on Saturday afternoon because you know it's going to be packed and there is a chance you won't even get in.

You're the first one there so you get in line. You wait for 4 hours for them to open. The maitre d' walks up and says, "Sorry, you haven't eaten here before. We're letting those that already supported us get ahead of you in line, doesn't matter that they just showed up. Oh, and that gift card for the wine shop next door everyone's been getting? They only enough left for those that eat here in the next hour or so, so you'll probably miss out on that too. Sorry about that."

Yeah, this kinda took the wind out of the sails of those of us that have been waiting and planning on this for years.

I'm banking on the new restaurant of tesla having much more tables than the last one they opened so the table turnover will be faster and minimize my wait time significantly. I'm also banking on the fact that most of those that have already eaten at the last restaurant are still full so my coupon will still be good ;).

I'm banking on the new restaurant of tesla having much more tables than the last one they opened so the table turnover will be faster and minimize my wait time significantly. I'm also banking on the fact that most of those that have already eaten at the last restaurant are still full so my coupon will still be good ;).
I hope you're right. I'm still getting in line, but I bet many will not because of this.

Except it's not like you showed up and waited 4 hours blindly... It's more like they told you a month ago that on that particular Sunday prior visitors would go first and you were upset because that was the first Sunday you could actually make it.

I hope you're right. I'm still getting in line, but I bet many will not because of this.

Yeah, that's the weirdest thing about this. Owners would be less likely to line up because now they know they can skip in line. Non-owners would be less likely because they will get skipped over no matter how early they put in their reservation. The only logical conclusion is that Tesla wants fewer people waiting in line to place a reservation, which then begs the question: Why have in-store reservations at all if not to create a public display of interest?

Reactions: houdini
I get that some say it's good they are rewarding early adopters, but imagine a new high end restaurant opened up that everyone couldn't stop talking about.

I believe it is a pretty common practice in the restaurant industry to have a 'family and friends' night or nights before throwing open the doors to the general public. It's a nice gesture toward those who support you, allows you to work out the kinks with more forgiving customers, and gives your supporters a chance to get out the buzz on the awesome new restaurant in town. Tesla's proposal to give priority to employees and existing customers seems to have a lot in common with this.

And I seriously doubt this will cause much delay for me or any other future Model 3 customers given the way Tesla batches deliveries based on similar options and geography.

I tend to agree ... with one addition/modification: It seems to be more about 'how do I get to the front of the line' for many. I've noted a few also feel employees should come after them instead of be at the front of the line. (And I've also noticed those of you saying 'I really want to be up at the front, but I get it and it's not unfair.)

I understand people are disappointed, but c'mon. Tesla is thanking customers who have supported them to get to this point. Many of those customers spent far more than they should have for a car, economics be damned. A lot have bought used. Some of us bought cars that will never be able to update to the latest tech. Many bought an S not knowing there would be a Supercharger network. And not every current customer is reserving a 3. A lot of current customers will want to wait until production has been up and running for awhile.

This is a small thank-you for early adopters and those who came after them. And I guarantee when the 3 rollout begins, there will be threads on trying to figure out the order that cars are delivered, because it won't match the reservation order. "I reserved at 10am at the store, I was an owner, I ordered fully optioned, and allllll these people are getting their car before me!!! It's not fairrrrr!".

If you're upset over the possibility of not getting a tax credit, then start organizing a letter writing campaign. Do something about it. Because expecting Tesla to change the line order isn't going to fix the issue of a lot of people who would like the tax credit are not going to get it -- no matter what the order/priorities are for reservation holders. Someone is going to miss out. So DO something about it.

Yup, but then if they do write the legislators to get the tax credit extended for their particular case, won't the guy who can't even afford a car and has to take the bus to work be upset that the bus schedule was cut back because funding was shifted to the program that rewards folks who can actually afford a car? Bet he'd feel like the rich keep getting richer at the working stiff's expense too.

Yup, but then if they do write the legislators to get the tax credit extended for their particular case, won't the guy who can't even afford a car and has to take the bus to work be upset that the bus schedule was cut back because funding was shifted to the program that rewards folks who can actually afford a car? Bet he'd feel like the rich keep getting richer at the working stiff's expense too.

Yes.

If I say that an item is a rectangle that does not mean it isn't a square. I'm not lying or misrepresenting things by calling it a rectangle.

If someone asks when they can see pictures of a car that will be revealed on Mar 31 it isn't lying or misrepresenting things by saying you can look at pictures of it on that date. He'll reveal a working car, they'll drive it around, there will be test rides. But once they do that you'll be able to look at pictures of it all over the web. So if you ask him when can I see pictures he'll say the date of the reveal.

Either you are a pessimist, have ulterior motives, or just cant get off being hung up about grammar. It really isn't that complicated.

I believe it is a pretty common practice in the restaurant industry to have a 'family and friends' night or nights before throwing open the doors to the general public. It's a nice gesture toward those who support you, allows you to work out the kinks with more forgiving customers, and gives your supporters a chance to get out the buzz on the awesome new restaurant in town. Tesla's proposal to give priority to employees and existing customers seems to have a lot in common with this.

And I seriously doubt this will cause much delay for me or any other future Model 3 customers given the way Tesla batches deliveries based on similar options and geography.
Family and friends night is more like letting the employees getting a jump in line, which is a different story. They're actually building and selling these things, seeing them every day for months or years, and haven't been able to buy one yet. That's exactly like friends and family night at a restaurant. The people working overtime to get the thing launched and their families that have dealt with them being away from home.

Reactions: diamond.g
I think it's crappy and disingenuous for auto makers, Tesla included here, to promote these tax credits as a line-item deduction or consideration in the purchase price. Chevy is playing it up too with the Bolt and they will most certainly hammer this point home too once the Bolt is shipping. Especially because they can rub it in vs. Tesla since Tesla will have used up a very significant portion of their 200K vehicle allotment by the time Model 3 deliveries start.

Tesla never actively included the tax credit in the price of Model 3. All their official statements, including EM's rambling during various press conferences, have been consistent, $35k.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Tesla never actively included the tax credit in the price of Model 3. All their official statements, including EM's rambling during various press conferences, have been consistent, $35k.

Not entirely correct. The first mention on the Gen-III car-price was "about $30k in todays dollars" (in 2013 I think?), and no mention about tax-credit or anything. But from the first time he mentioned $35k he was clear about "without any tax-breaks" and without mention "in todays dollars".

Not entirely correct. The first mention on the Gen-III car-price was "about $30k in todays dollars" (in 2013 I think?), and no mention about tax-credit or anything. But from the first time he mentioned $35k he was clear about "without any tax-breaks" and without mention "in todays dollars".
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the 2013 mention. I guess they didn't expect the S selling so well by then.

That is not how it has been done historically. For the Model S, there was a limited time that Roadster owners could reserve and get to the front of the line. It was not 'open indefinitely'.

How else would they do it? If they have 100 current owners who have reserved, then the ones who reserved first would logically get priority.

Well of course the forum is going to guess at the question. :) That's the point of this entire thread.

And yes, TM should be more specific. But I think this thread is overthinking the 'existing owners have priority' statement. I suspect that it will be for a very limited amount of time - if not, does that then mean that someone who buys a Model S in six months & has an existing 3 reservation, would then become an owner and change places in the line? What a logistical nightmare that would be :). The priority will undoubtedly apply for the first few days of reservations. After that, imo, existing owners had their chance.
Bonnie, always great to read your responses. You provide clarity and historic facts that needed to be known. Thanks for sharing.

I'd guess the number of S/X owners also plunking down for a 3 will be minimal. Assuming you'll get the federal tax benefit is foolish. Even without priority reservations for S/X owners pre-orders, there's little guarantee you'll receive your 3 soon enough to claim the federal benefit. Only buy a car you can afford without the tax benefit; think of it as a bonus.

I get what you're trying to say, but that is a really bad analogy. It basically serves as a counterpoint to your argument, because that is exactly how high-end restaurants work. Repeat clientele get precedence over some new guy walking in that the owner/maitre d/etc. have never met before. Have you never been to a restaurant where you were waiting and someone walks in and is immediately seated?

I don't know if giving current owners precedence for Model 3 orders is a good thing or not. Honestly, I think Tesla is worried that a Model 3 unleashed immediately on the masses could damage the launch hype and media coverage if owners are upset when things are broken. Whereas current owners are, sadly, used to things being broken and mostly keep the grumbling to themselves and speak to the bigger picture. A failed Model 3 launch, IMO, could sink the company. So while it's entirely true that new owners may behave in the same manner as existing owners, I'm not sure Tesla wants to risk it. It's cheap insurance, and throws a bone to owners who supported them when they needed it.

You sir, are absolutely wrong.

A married couple, making just about $200K combined, with no dependents, who only have to pay healthcare for one (the other has a free government-paid plan), mortgage interest, and the usual deductions still has a "tax burden" of almost $33K, more than enough to qualify for the tax break, but making ~$200K combined, before taxes and expenses makes it rather tight to order a Model S and start checking boxes on the configurator.

So yes, there are plenty of us out there who CAN get the tax break, but can't quite afford a Model S. (CPO maybe, but I want AP...if not, what's the point, right?)

I wish everyone could get what they want, but it seems they can't. Personally, in 2006, when I saw the first Roadster, I determined to buy a Model S, though it didn't have a name yet. Two years later I put down $40,000 reservation deposit. 4 years after that, I bought a Signature. I have now sold the Sig and have a 90D.

I'm not saying anything here other than different people live differently. I have always lived simply, get value for my money. When I ordered my first Sig, I was making about 100K a year, my wife had retired. Yet it was our priority, and we did it without making any huge debt or big deal. We have always had money in the bank, even when I was teaching for a church, making (long time ago) $5000 a year. And the tax break is nice, but I never HAD to have it.

I bought solar panels when no one else was thinking of it, and they paid themselves off in 6 years. I haven't had an electric bill since. My house is 400 sq. ft. I don't drink or go out to eat often. But slowly, my wife and I have become rich. I guess we always have been.

I wish everyone could get what they want, but it seems they can't. Personally, in 2006, when I saw the first Roadster, I determined to buy a Model S, though it didn't have a name yet. Two years later I put down $40,000 reservation deposit. 4 years after that, I bought a Signature. I have now sold the Sig and have a 90D.

I'm not saying anything here other than different people live differently. I have always lived simply, get value for my money. When I ordered my first Sig, I was making about 100K a year, my wife had retired. Yet it was our priority, and we did it without making any huge debt or big deal. We have always had money in the bank, even when I was teaching for a church, making (long time ago) $5000 a year. And the tax break is nice, but I never HAD to have it.

I bought solar panels when no one else was thinking of it, and they paid themselves off in 6 years. I haven't had an electric bill since. My house is 400 sq. ft. I don't drink or go out to eat often. But slowly, my wife and I have become rich. I guess we always have been.

I wish I could like this comment twice.

Someone making $50k a year could be rich. Someone else making $250k a year could be living paycheck-to-paycheck. It's not about how much you make, it's about how spend your money.