Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S washer fluid system failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently discovered my 2018’s washer nozzles weren’t spraying anything during the icy conditions last week. Just put it down to the lines being frozen up. Then noticed a strange tingling/falling-glass kind of sound when opening the frunk lid after that. Tried topping up washer reservoir only to keep seeing it descend down the pipe, nothing dripping under the car. Keep re-filling it and tested motor again then discovered water dripping out from rear of driver wheel-well arch.

Would guess something has come undone up/down-stream of the pump, the lines under the bonnet looked fine and dry. Also tried pin to clear the nozzle heads, all seemed unblocked.

Tesla Mobile service to the rescue for 30-minute diagnosis on Wednesday. Anyone else experienced this before? Seems rare.

You could have had a pipe freeze and pop off. I use stuff rated for -20 or -30 in the winter. Really excessive I know but there is no engine to keep things warm and unfrozen. So far, not had any issues. Even in the summer I use Tesco screenwash rated for -5.

Suspect it must have been the longevity of a few degrees sub-zero after having recently topped the system up to full (~8 hours), or the evening with maximal low of −4.9°. Just hasn’t been an issue before across five winter seasons until now (and never in any previous vehicle I’ve owned).

Mobile Service attended for what was a simple case of reconnecting a detached pipe behind the driver wheel arch somewhere, kindly charging their minimum time rate. Usual winter mix of 10% Prestone concentrate now added back in with level remaining constant.

Also took the opportunity to measure my 2016–19 Model S fluid reservoir from empty to neck-line as 5.425 litre (by weight).

Reactions: MrBadger