Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Charging Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first 11 posts of this thread were deemed off-topic to the thread where they were originally posted. They have been moved to their own thread.

Yes, looks like it. Nice sporty car though.

On Edit: Just curious, what attracted you to this particular thread?

Does anyone know when I can post a profile pic? Maybe I can't cuz I'm too new?

I was attracted to the thread, because I had the same issue / experience as this one person... I have to find the post, but basically they listed like how many miles per % usage. And mine is similar! Sometimes I'm getting 1 - 2 % use PER MILE!! I just felt that was way way ... WAY WAY different than what I was told.

Although now I'm driving a 75d and I think driving 2 Teslas is helping me understand Teslas as a whole better.

Did anyone see that chart where there was numbers for "over advertising" or something?

In fact, I sent in my P to get the battery looked at. But I'm 99% sure they will come back and say "it's within factory specs." AND they will try to say the battery's messed up cuz I supercharged it. BUT I BARELY BOUGHT IT!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know when I can post a profile pic? Maybe I can't cuz I'm too new?

I was attracted to the thread, because I had the same issue / experience as this one person... I have to find the post, but basically they listed like how many miles per % usage. And mine is similar! Sometimes I'm getting 1 - 2 % use PER MILE!! I just felt that was way way ... WAY WAY different than what I was told.

Although now I'm driving a 75d and I think driving 2 Teslas is helping me understand Teslas as a whole better.

Did anyone see that chart where there was numbers for "over advertising" or something?

In fact, I sent in my P to get the battery looked at. But I'm 99% sure they will come back and say "it's within factory specs." AND they will try to say the battery's messed up cuz I supercharged it. BUT I BARELY BOUGHT IT!!

Also, I looked up and saw the video link a friend put on here and I understand better what that CHAMEO thing is. It looks like a gas pump, but I guess it charges in DC or adapts to different non-Tesla charging?

I have so much to learn.

Also, what does it mean to have your car "scanned" and how does that help me?

Also, I looked up and saw the video link a friend put on here and I understand better what that CHAMEO thing is. It looks like a gas pump, but I guess it charges in DC or adapts to different non-Tesla charging?

I have so much to learn.

Also, what does it mean to have your car "scanned" and how does that help me?

So... sometimes I'll ask about p100d and now I'm charging my 75d. And it's at 99% at a supercharger.

When it gets to 100%, does it say "complete"?

Because last time I charged the 75d to 100% it said and blinked "calculating".

I waited for it to say something like "charging complete" but it just kept blinking that. And I ran out of patience and just unplugged and left.

It doesn't bother me much, but it is interesting how the 75d will vary between around 400mi/hr charging to say... like now 20 mi/hr.

So... sometimes I'll ask about p100d and now I'm charging my 75d. And it's at 99% at a supercharger.

I waited for it to say something like "charging complete" but it just kept blinking that. And I ran out of patience and just unplugged and left.

It doesn't bother me much, but it is interesting how the 75d will vary between around 400mi/hr charging to say... like now 20 mi/hr.

If I get charged for idle time, does that happen within a few minutes? Or does it take like 10 hours to show up? Or a couple days?

The bottom right of the big screen (is there a name for that screen?) says "Current session."

I noticed on the 75d too, that it thinks the last charge was months ago, or in a location I never took it.

If I get charged for idle time, does that happen within a few minutes? Or does it take like 10 hours to show up? Or a couple days?

The bottom right of the big screen (is there a name for that screen?) says "Current session."

I noticed on the 75d too, that it thinks the last charge was months ago, or in a location I never took it.

The hose thingy at superchargers:
So white means you can take out the hose?
Dark blue means it's charging?
And green means... it's ... done charging?

And sometimes they flash too.

I wish there were posters here to tell us what the different colors and blinking means.

Is there a thread about paint / scratch issues? Like if the factory paint had weird squiggley things or "drips" ?

You really need to do more reading and post your questions in appropriate threads instead of bombing a thread that has a very specific subject. Here's a good place to start with many references.
Owner’s Manual Companion | TeslaTap
Charging to 100% at a supercharger takes a very long time and in the middle of the day is poor etiquette.

You really need to do more reading and post your questions in appropriate threads instead of bombing a thread that has a very specific subject. Here's a good place to start with many references.
Owner’s Manual Companion | TeslaTap
Charging to 100% at a supercharger takes a very long time and in the middle of the day is poor etiquette.
Is it poor etiquette cuz other people are waiting? The ones where I charged to 100% had only a few Teslas but many many and most stalls open.

This time I didn't charge until it said "calculating". It just said "5 minutes". And after waiting about 8, I just left.

I do do a lot of reading. And one day I think I will know a lot about Teslas. But one issue I have is that you don't really know what you're reading, nor what the source is.

And I think a lot of people have battery questions.

Should I post my 75d charging questions on another thread - or create a new one?

Cuz usually it'll be about p100d charging.

I just barely got these cars, so I think soon I will have better questions.

@PIOOD, You have posted some very valid questions, but I'm not so sure this is the thread do to it in. Consider starting a new thread in the Battery & Charging section.
I'll attempt to start a new thread.

I'm not sure if I can yet cuz maybe I'm too new - which is maybe why I can't post my profile pic?

But I'll try starting a new thread.

There isn't already a Battery Charging section? Or maybe it got old and closed?

And this one is just for charging / battery questions for S models?

This is only my first half-day here, so I'm sure soon I'll know how to start threads better, and find other threads.

I'll attempt to start a new thread.

I'm not sure if I can yet cuz maybe I'm too new - which is maybe why I can't post my profile pic?

But I'll try starting a new thread.

There isn't already a Battery Charging section? Or maybe it got old and closed?

And this one is just for charging / battery questions for S models?

This is only my first half-day here, so I'm sure soon I'll know how to start threads better, and find other threads.

Reckard, I found a "supercharging charging" section under "tech." So I might start a new thread there.

Or do you have a link or screenshot to a better place?

I
But one issue I have is that you don't really know what you're reading, nor what the source is.
Did you look at the site I posted? All the info there has been culled from very experienced owners and TeslaTap is a very knowledgeable person. There is a very good section on batteries and charging there. Your question about the chargeport light colors is in the Tesla owners manual.

The hose thingy at superchargers:
So white means you can take out the hose?
Dark blue means it's charging?
And green means... it's ... done charging?

And sometimes they flash too.

I wish there were posters here to tell us what the different colors and blinking means.

Is there a thread about paint / scratch issues? Like if the factory paint had weird squiggley things or "drips" ?
The explanations for all the colors, and a whole host of other really useful info, is in the owner’s manual. But it’s a huge document, best left for bit by bit night time reading. I would strongly recommend you have a close look at the chapter on Autopilot as the car does NOT do a whole bunch of things that people think it does (eg Auto Emergency Braking does NOT stop you having a crash, it’s purpose is ONLY to reduce the impact speed). I copied the manual onto my iPad so the Search function works. Makes finding out about charge port colours very easy to find. (and your understanding of what the colors mean looks to be wrong). Here is an example of the page in the European manual (the only one I have). As others have said, good questions, but perhaps this thread isn’t the best place.
FE410B61-3569-463B-8947-5183103FE1EE.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The explanations for all the colors, and a whole host of other really useful info, is in the owner’s manual. But it’s a huge document, best left for bit by bit night time reading. I would strongly recommend you have a close look at the chapter on Autopilot as the car does NOT do a whole bunch of things that people think it does (eg Auto Emergency Braking does NOT stop you having a crash, it’s purpose is ONLY to reduce the impact speed). I copied the manual onto my iPad so the Search function works. Makes finding out about charge port colours very easy to find. (and your understanding of what the colors mean looks to be wrong). Here is an example of the page in the European manual (the only one I have). As others have said, good questions, but perhaps this thread isn’t the best place. View attachment 436287

What a gentleman you are @Ferrycraigs. I gave up earlier.

Reactions: Ferrycraigs
Did you look at the site I posted? All the info there has been culled from very experienced owners and TeslaTap is a very knowledgeable person. There is a very good section on batteries and charging there. Your question about the chargeport light colors is in the Tesla owners manual.
I did find an owner's manual link tonight in the 75d and learned about the colors. I think I've seen most colors except red - but I learned about it from the manual.

The explanations for all the colors, and a whole host of other really useful info, is in the owner’s manual. But it’s a huge document, best left for bit by bit night time reading. I would strongly recommend you have a close look at the chapter on Autopilot as the car does NOT do a whole bunch of things that people think it does (eg Auto Emergency Braking does NOT stop you having a crash, it’s purpose is ONLY to reduce the impact speed). I copied the manual onto my iPad so the Search function works. Makes finding out about charge port colours very easy to find. (and your understanding of what the colors mean looks to be wrong). Here is an example of the page in the European manual (the only one I have). As others have said, good questions, but perhaps this thread isn’t the best place. View attachment 436287
Thanks for this! I was looking at it on the 75d screen tonight and the one you provided looks much better on my desktop!

I found out tonight after googling that the 75d is an S model! I had been driving it some time and I thought it was just a "75d." But tonight I realized it must be a model 3 or S because everything falls under those categories (maybe I saw them first under TMC).

I charged my 75d to 100% tonight. Don't worry! I was the only person there - and there was like 20+ charging stations.

I think my drive was about 12 miles but I expended 10% ! I feel like that's a large usage - or maybe the car is old? Maybe it's my driving style? Or that I use AC?

I took pics!

• Funny
Reactions: TexasEV