Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visualized some of the data we've gathered. Nothing enlightening that's hasn't already been mentioned and I'm no pro. But if someone is, would be nice to see something around EDD changes and how that relates to geography, order date and color combos.
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 7.19.49 PM.png

I just absolutely refuse to pay Chamberlain to use my own network with my own hardware to do something that costs them absolutely nothing and only does stuff they previously promised me I could do with my door. Trying to now charge me $30 a year is profiteering BS and I don't care what it costs, my next garage door opener will not be made by Chamberlain/Liftmaster. I was a MyQ early adopter and instead they've now lost a customer. No way I'm paying more for 10 years of MyQ than I pay for my garage door opener in the first place. It's insulting.

In addition to that, it didn't even work reliably for me in the trial.
Didn’t work in the trial well for me either. However, they sent me and additional trial offer after I left a lengthy review telling them the issues I was having with it between WiFi and LTE handoff. I ended up signing up for the full 10 years as they’ve fixed the service and it now works most of the time and if it does not work automatically they’ve added a button to activate the door manually of sorts. Still not 100% but neither was my clicker plus I never have to change the batteries.😉

Didn’t work in the trial well for me either. However, they sent me and additional trial offer after I left a lengthy review telling them the issues I was having with it between WiFi and LTE handoff. I ended up signing up for the full 10 years as they’ve fixed the service and it now works most of the time and if it does not work automatically they’ve added a button to activate the door manually of sorts. Still not 100% but neither was my clicker plus I never have to change the batteries.😉
Tesla also sells a Homelink module you can buy one time and it’s just a local remote that can trigger the door. That’s the route I’m gonna take myself. Personally I find the lack of it being included in a new car that’s 50k kind of silly for them to save a few bucks on.

I think you are onto something here. I just think back to my daily drive and how many LR versus M3Ps I see and it is easily a 15:1 ratio. I'd hazard it to be a 30:1 ratio. I can spot MP3 by their Uberturbine wheels, red underline, red calipers easily and lower ride height quite easily like most folks here. It's definitely not a high volume trim.
Agreed, I see a lot of Teslas where I live in SF Bay Area, but I rarely see M3Ps. I see far more MYP by comparison. The MYLR and MYP ratio is probably more like 5:1 or 10:1 out here. M3P is much more rare.

The tax credit is really the only unknown variable that could change these assumptions. It might push more M3P orders until the LR is also eligible, which seems like it might be soon.

Coupled with the lack of reviews or demo cars, I suspect there's still only a few thousand M3P orders out there.

Reactions: dsc888
Tesla also sells a Homelink module you can buy one time and it’s just a local remote that can trigger the door. That’s the route I’m gonna take myself. Personally I find the lack of it being included in a new car that’s 50k kind of silly for them to save a few bucks on.
I totally agree. I might go old school and just carry a garage door opener in my new M3P like a savage.

• Funny
Reactions: JezzaE
I just absolutely refuse to pay Chamberlain to use my own network with my own hardware to do something that costs them absolutely nothing and only does stuff they previously promised me I could do with my door. Trying to now charge me $30 a year is profiteering BS and I don't care what it costs, my next garage door opener will not be made by Chamberlain/Liftmaster. I was a MyQ early adopter and instead they've now lost a customer. No way I'm paying more for 10 years of MyQ than I pay for my garage door opener in the first place. It's insulting.

This is why I moved to Ratgdo

I ran the following prompts through ChatGPT to try and come up with a target:

1. how many tesla model 3 performance trims did Tesla sell last year? In 2023: 63,000 Total Model 3s sold, no breakdown of performance versus other trims.
  2. what percentage of car buyers in the US buy a performance car? Around 3%
If you apply those numbers, we're only looking at a few thousand M3P sold in 2024. And this is for a car that has no detailed reviews out, and it's being released halfway through the year, so it could be less than 1,000 cars.

I think there's far fewer orders out there than people suspect. Even if the tax credit sweetens the deal, it won't attract more than 30% more buyers, so I think the upper end is probably 2,000 orders for the year.
ChatGPT is hallucinating.

Per Tesla’s 2023 financial statements, here. They delivered more than 1.7M Model 3/Y’s in 2023 (slide 9 in the link). And in the summary on slide 4, it states “more than 1.2M Model Ys delivered. So Tesla delivered about 500k Model 3s in 2023.

Make your own guess as to what percentage were M3Ps. If you assume 5:1 or 10:1 LR:p, you come to 50k - 100k M3Ps delivered in 2023. All Global numbers.

While there are some deliveries being made in May, it seems that production will really get started in June, so that would mean 7 months of production of 2024 M3Ps or 29k - 58k cars. I would guess closer to the low end of that given that production is just getting started.

Reactions: hkarthik

I saw a Tesla hater on Twitter mention that Tesla "doesn't offer homelink anymore" and figured they went straight to MyQ. That's what I get for not verifying what I see.
Visualized some of the data we've gathered. Nothing enlightening that's hasn't already been mentioned and I'm no pro. But if someone is, would be nice to see something around EDD changes and how that relates to geography, order date and color combos.

That's great! I think a guy in Boulder (@TrustedRebel) has a VIN re: the VIN state inset.

I integrated our simple garage door opener to Apple HomeKit with this $50 Meross device. My new M3P will likely be a lease, so I don't plan on getting the Homelink module like I had for my 2019 M3LR, nor would I pay for a subscription to control my garage door. There are multiple AppleTVs at the house to control it, so I'll just ask Siri on my watch or phone to open/close the garage door. Hopefully, Tesla adds integration with HomeKit or Matter in the future -- that would enable some great integrations for arrival/departure home and scenes/automations.

I integrated our simple garage door opener to Apple HomeKit with this $50 Meross device. My new M3P will likely be a lease, so I don't plan on getting the Homelink module like I had for my 2019 M3LR, nor would I pay for a subscription to control my garage door. There are multiple AppleTVs at the house to control it, so I'll just ask Siri on my watch or phone to open/close the garage door. Hopefully, Tesla adds integration with HomeKit or Matter in the future -- that would enable some great integrations for arrival/departure home and scenes/automations.
MyQ app is free to use on mobile devices so no need to pay $50 for an additional device if money is of concern.