Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. I don’t think most Tesla buyers are looking at the performance version and are more likely interested in range and all season tires.
That’s not true. Myself and 3 of my coworkers all jumped on ordering the model 3 performance and never had a Tesla before. If anything the model 3 performance refresh is attractive for a lot of new owners because of the tax credit, new sport seats, the updated design. For a lot of people range doesn’t matter. I travel but not to an extent where I need 341 miles. But range aside, giving up 40 miles for $7500 off I think most people would take. But just my opinion not a fact.

Reactions: scrapps and RizA
Does anyone know why I have 3 booking invoices. One is from order date and 2nd,3rd are from yesterday which is a bit strange. Is VIN assignment imminent ?

Attachments

• IMG_2525.png
    IMG_2525.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 4
That’s not true. Myself and 3 of my coworkers all jumped on ordering the model 3 performance and never had a Tesla before. If anything the model 3 performance refresh is attractive for a lot of new owners because of the tax credit, new sport seats, the updated design. For a lot of people range doesn’t matter. I travel but not to an extent where I need 341 miles. But range aside, giving up 40 miles for $7500 off I think most people would take. But just my opinion not a fact.
Well different people consider different aspects of the car. For myself, I know it was available to order within couple minutes after the page went live, BUT I want to drive this car daily, the other vehicle I'm gonna keep is a F-150 lifted up 6 inches and with M/T tires, that truck only gives me 11MPG both city/ Highway, not that comfortable/practical for a daily commute car. I hesitated 3 days before ordering. I was thinking about the 20 inch wheels and really low profile tires, afraid they are going to give a pretty harsh ride also car have a half inch lower ground clearance. With that low clearance and thin tires, it's not perfect for Midwest salt/pothole roads. Also I was wondering if the sports seats are going to be not as comfortable as the regular ones. I can see for some folks in CA or generally Southern part of the country these might not be problems and the car is a no brainier given it's value. So there is a reason to order LR/RWD for some people.

They will easily sell 50k M3Ps per year, maybe close to 100k. If you want a rare car, then Tesla isn't the answer unfortunately. That said, the value proposition is still damn near unbeatable.
It's possible:

They've been estimated to be selling about 400K model 3's a year (this is actually an informed split of 3/Y by CleanTechnica, since they no longer publically release the split between the two familes) . In terms of mix of trim levels - my gut would say normally the Performance level would be 10 percent of that, or 40K a year. However, the weird tax rebate situation in the US will certainly push a chunk of people to the P instead of the LR (as we've seen happen with members here!). so 50 to 100K really could be in the ball park.

Reactions: blinkme323
Living in SoCal yes, M3P is a no brainer. But if i lived in another non-south part of the country where snow and ice is a concern, i would still pick the M3P over the LR as i see it as a better value. I would even amortize the cost of the additional wheels and A/S tires and still be ahead of a LR with the M3P slightly higher resale value in the end. And maybe this is future wishful thinking but the value separation between the refreshed M3LR and the new M3P will be more than the delta between past M3LR and M3P models. What did the previous M3P owners get really get over a LR once you changed out the wheels and tires? Quicker acceleration, red calipers and a red line emblem under the LR Dual Motor badge. Not this time. We get alot more performance model only related goodies this time. You all made the right decision to be in this thread reading this post while saying STFU and give me my vin already!!!!

Last edited:
Living in SoCal yes, M3P is a no brainer. But if i lived in another non-south part of the county where snow and ice is a concern, i would still pick the M3P over the LR as i see it as a better value. I would even amortize the cost of the additional wheels and A/S tires and still be ahead of a LR with the M3P slightly higher resale value in the end. And maybe this is future wishful thinking but the value separation between the refreshed M3LR and the new M3P will be more than the delta between past M3LR and M3P models. What did the previous M3P owners get really get over a LR once you changed out the wheels and tires? Quicker acceleration, red calipers and a red line emblem under the LR Dual Motor badge. Not this time. We get alot more performance model only related goodies this time. You all made the right decision to be in this thread reading this post while saying STFU and give me my vin already!!!!
EV depreciation is no joke. I’m curious if you’re onto something with this. The M3P has a lot of differences between it and the LR.

Reactions: bdudney665
EV depreciation is no joke. I’m curious if you’re onto something with this. The M3P has a lot of differences between it and the LR.
People looking at used M3's right now are saying, wait, i get the same body, same interior, more reasonable tires and wheels, and for non performance minded people 0-60 in low 4 second range is plenty quick for them. why pay more for an equivalent used M3P? In a few years from now that decision process will have more in favor of the M3P.

Looking at the M3P tracker (133 entries currently), it looks like there is <8% that were originally an SR/LR order but switched to performance. Most of the early orders back in Jan that switched are white interior which we all know is the reason for the LR/SR delays.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpgxsvcd