Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming the production cars match the early limited reviews I think this will be the best car I’ve ever owned (except for the lack of stalks). See list below. I’ve had a 2021 M3LR with acceleration boost for the last 3 years and despite the subpar interior build and suspension relative to some prior cars it’s still been my favorite car. Now I’m not sure where on my daily commute I will be able to utilize the ridiculous instant torque without getting arrested but I’m sure as heck going to try. I do wish it had at least the same range as my 2021 M3LR but willing to give a little up for the performance. Unless it doesn’t meet expectations or there is some major flaw it seems like a steal for what you get.

-1994 Honda Civic Coupe manual
-2001 (B5) Audi A4 1.8T (tuned) Quattro manual
-2009 E90 335i xdrive
-2013 F30 335i xdrive
-2016 F30 340i xdrive with adaptive suspension
-2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport AWD
-2021 Model 3 LR with acceleration boost
Wow. I'm also coming from a 2021 M3LR w/ AB and had a 2015 BMW 335ix and a 2017 340ix with the amazing B58 engine! I agree that the M3LR is nice but is anything but refined.

The 2024 MP3 may finally be the car that has enough performance for me to keep the car for more than 5 years with no regret. Any car that can pull off 0-60 in under 3 seconds and is priced $45k brand new after rebate is in rarified air.

As for enjoying all that power, I have some single lane curved roads near me that are nearly deserted at night and I often go for midnight runs there. I only really go about 7/10s but that is plenty fun while not attracting much attention due to lack of engine noise and cops have nowhere to hide. A buddy of mine with a 2021 Civic Type R also does the same after his wife and kids are asleep. The lengths some of us have to go to just to enjoy our car is crazy! 🤪

Wow. I'm also coming from a 2021 M3LR w/ AB and had a 2015 BMW 335ix and a 2017 340ix with the amazing B58 engine! I agree that the M3LR is nice but is anything but refined.

The 2024 MP3 may finally be the car that has enough performance for me to keep the car for more than 5 years with no regret. Any car that can pull off 0-60 in under 3 seconds and is priced $45k brand new after rebate is in rarified air.

As for enjoying all that power, I have some single lane curved roads near me that are nearly deserted at night and I often go for midnight runs there. I only really go about 7/10s but that is plenty fun while not attracting much attention due to lack of engine noise and cops have nowhere to hide. A buddy of mine with a 2021 Civic Type R also does the same after his wife and kids are asleep. The lengths some of us have to go to just to enjoy our car is crazy! 🤪
Yeah the B58 engine was my favorite before owning an EV with instant torque and sub 4s 0-60. It's just so addictive. The only thing the 340i xdrive lacked was the steering/handling of the e90 although it wasn't bad. The Giulia actually had fantastic steering/handling but was just way down on power unless one splurged for the quadrifoglio. I don't think any electric steering will be like the e90 days but as long as it's good and the suspension/handling is as it's said to be then we should be really happy.

• Love
Reactions: dsc888 and jv92red
Yeah the B58 engine was my favorite before owning an EV with instant torque and sub 4s 0-60. It's just so addictive. The only thing the 340i xdrive lacked was the steering/handling of the e90 although it wasn't bad. The Giulia actually had fantastic steering/handling but was just way down on power unless one splurged for the quadrifoglio. I don't think any electric steering will be like the e90 days but as long as it's good and the suspension/handling is as it's said to be then we should be really happy.
I went from an E92 M3, to a F22 240i w/B58 and mirror your sentiment. E92 was the best steering/handling car I've ever owned. S65 V8 sounded glorious at it's 8,400 redline but torque was not a strong suit. You really needed to ring it out. The B58 in my 240i was a torque beast right off of idle. But the steering with its electric rack was a downgrade and the handling wasn't there. I'm hoping the M3P will give me what i miss from both of those cars. I know i won't get that M3 S65 symphony at 8k, but I'm ok doing 0-40 in a second in a M3P across the street from a cop and not even get a second look.

• Love
Reactions: dsc888 and cardsdoc
I know i won't get that M3 S65 symphony at 8k, but I'm ok doing 0-40 in a second in a M3P across the street from a cop and not even get a second look.
Yep. That instant max torque is what sucks a lot of us in. Highly addictive. I don’t know how many folks here are into home theater but I find it’s the same with higher end sub woofers. Once you experience strong, high quality, ultra low frequency bass you need more. I know on the home theater forums there are a lot of folks into performance cars.

Yep. That instant max torque is what sucks a lot of us in. Highly addictive. I don’t know how many folks here are into home theater but I find it’s the same with higher end sub woofers. Once you experience strong, high quality, ultra low frequency bass you need more. I know on the home theater forums there are a lot of folks into performance cars.
Actually, yes!. I do frequent AVS forum on occasion. I have a couple Stereo Integrity SQL15's waiting for enclosures which will be driven by a Crown XLS 2502 for my home theater system. I also have some AudioFrog drivers from a past car i hope to swap into my new M3P when i get the time in the future. Too many projects, not enough time...
one good thing about going away from performance ICE cars is that there was always one more part or electronics or tune i wanted to extract more power. It was never enough.

My 2017 340ix got significantly better handling when I swapped out the stock floaty "M Sport Non-Adaptive" for an Eibach/B8 Bilstein setup with Michelin PS4Ss. It dropped the car by about an inch but the dampers gave the car so much more confidence over uneven roads with great body control. The F30's electric power steering unit was a total snooze fest. Supposedly they kept it even with the G20 redesign with the B58 configuration. I still think about the car at times given it's excellent fit and finish and amazing paint. Gotta give it to those Germans for their impeccable build quality. That and the nice factory M Sport trim and wheel package that helped the car stand out in a crowd of leased 330i, 320i and 328i trims.

But like most enthusiasts here, I was drawn in by the tech, lower cost of ownership and stayed for the instant torque and low COG handling that felt like I upgraded to ultra thick F/R anti-roll bars in my previous ICE cars. Now that I have owned my 3 LR for over 3 years, I am craving what I had in my modded BMW...good handling and suspension tuning. Sub 3 second 0-60 runs is icing on the cake. And the better, bespoke exterior and front sport seats (finally!) is the cherry on top. The only wait for Tesla to make the car better is improved range and maybe a HUD. I miss the one in my 340ix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512_182812_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_182812_Photos.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 9
Actually, yes!. I do frequent AVS forum on occasion. I have a couple Stereo Integrity SQL15's waiting for enclosures which will be driven by a Crown XLS 2502 for my home theater system. I also have some AudioFrog drivers from a past car i hope to swap into my new M3P when i get the time in the future. Too many projects, not enough time...
one good thing about going away from performance ICE cars is that there was always one more part or electronics or tune i wanted to extract more power. It was never enough.
Nice. I have 2 PSA TV1813s plus Crowsons and spend way too much time on AVS.

Reactions: jv92red