Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have no marketing team right now. Who's going to give/lend "influencers" cars without a marketing department?

They've had no marketing team for ages now. They had no marketing team when the Cybertruck came out and reviewers got those well in advance of them being delivered to members of the public.

It's also odd that there are a bunch sitting in Tesla showrooms but no one is allowed to take delivery of one of those or even take a test drive in one.

Edit: In addition, this logic makes no sense because they obviously got the test mules to people like Jason Camissa of Hagerty, Top Gear, Marques Brownlee, and even some smaller influencers yet they were all obviously given gag orders to not review them fully or publish any performance tests of them. So if they can get them test mules and make them sign an NDA that they won't publish official full reviews, obviously they have contact with those people, marketing team or not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: G80Crusin_
If 2 cars are built at the same time, but 1 has to get shipped across the country. The one going to Boston will obviously have a 2 week later EDD. Isn’t this obvious? I can’t figure out how this is even a discussion.
It's a discussion because we've got confirmed reports of the following situations:

A buyer in the East Coast orders on launch date 4/28 and has an EDD of July.

A different buyer in West Coast orders a week later on 5/3 and has an EDD of June.

The spread between order time is less than 1 week, but the delivery time is spread apart by a month or more. That's non-obvious and suggests it's more than simple vehicle delivery logistics at play.

Reactions: jose3030
There is actually a really easy answer to this question. If you qualify for the tax credit and you can pay cash then buying the new car is a MUCH better financial decision than leasing it. If you need a loan then even a ~6% interest rate with the tax credit will be a better financial decision than the lease.

The issue with the lease is that the interest rate is just dumb. It is the single worst lease interest rate I have ever seen. However, it automatically gets the tax credit regardless of vehicle price and income. The tax credit can offset the terrible lease interest. Plus the lease protects you against severe depreciation as Tesla inevitably lowers the MSRP.
I debated between a buying and leasing, but the tax credit and the inability to purchase outright after lease changed my mind. If you qualify for the tax credit, it really changes the economics on buying the car and makes it a steal.

It's a discussion because we've got confirmed reports of the following situations:

A different buyer in West Coast orders a week later on 5/3 and has an EDD of June.

The spread between order time is less than 1 week, but the delivery time is spread apart by a month or more. That's non-obvious and suggests it's more than simple vehicle delivery logistics at play.
Launch date was 4/23. I haven’t seen any cases of same order times with large Edd gaps. Ordering a week apart with a new model release is a massive difference and I would expect EDD to be a month apart. Add a few weeks between coasts and voila.

I'll be honest. I haven't been this excited since the first time I ordered a Tesla, which was a model 3 in 2019. This past November, my wife decided she wanted to upgrade to the X, and I was the one that made the purchase and followed through with the entire process until delivery. Even though the X was the most expensive car we'd ever purchased, I wasn't half as excited as I am currently for this car, and I only checked the app whenever I got a notification about a new message. For this one though, I pop in and out of this thread waiting for the first person to get a VIN in order to avoid refreshing my app. Even then I'm still finding myself in a habit of checking in the morning.
Hah! Me too. I check multiple times a day.

Reactions: RizA and jose3030
I'm so torn on this. Was originally pissed I had to give up my '21 lease, now I'm obviously happy for the refreshed model. But lease or finance, keep going back and forth🤕
I decided to buy it outright. The assumption I'm making is that it'll be worth $30k in 3 years. The cost to lease for 36 months is about $27k. The lease rates for it aren't the best or anything like a current Y. The last consideration is the $7500 incentive. The lease doesn't have a limit.

That's not correct. It is all about logistics and how many cars they can deliver in the QUARTER to support the financial report. They ALWAYS start and END the quarter with west coast deliveries. This is nothing new and there is no conspiracy about it.

They've had no marketing team for ages now. They had no marketing team when the Cybertruck came out and reviewers got those well in advance of them being delivered to members of the public.

It's also odd that there are a bunch sitting in Tesla showrooms but no one is allowed to take delivery of one of those or even take a test drive in one.

Edit: In addition, this logic makes no sense because they obviously got the test mules to people like Jason Camissa of Hagerty, Top Gear, Marques Brownlee, and even some smaller influencers yet they were all obviously given gag orders to not review them fully or publish any performance tests of them. So if they can get them test mules and make them sign an NDA that they won't publish official full reviews, obviously they have contact with those people, marketing team or not.
There are ZERO in showrooms. Very few even have 1 to show. This conspiracy spin people like to add is nuts. Marketing departments MARKET. They don't need a marketing department to sign an nda and loan a car out for publication review. This is OLD model car sales. People need to stop rationalizing for when they ORDERED.

That's not correct. It is all about logistics and how many cars they can deliver in the QUARTER to support the financial report. They ALWAYS start and END the quarter with west coast deliveries. This is nothing new and there is no conspiracy about it.
That makes a lot of sense actually and considering the quarter ends in June I’m sure they want to get as many sold as possible. Closer the better

Isn't this release a bit atypical? I don't even think they are building the public release version of the M3P yet. It's odd to me that no reviewers, car mags, or the usual people who get cars early have any to even test. A few influencers have driven engineering mules around but they're not allowed to do full reviews.

I'm getting the feeling there could be significant delays on this car. Maybe they ran into last minute issues that they are having to correct before production? I'm used to the major influencers getting their hands on final versions weeks before they start to roll off the line but I don't think they even HAVE a final release.
There was something I read that they had some issues that they needed to send a bunch of engineers over to China to correct.
Then they were 'satisfied' with the fixes and proceeded.

I wouldn't doubt this at all.