Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imgur

OyDPr6X.jpg

zZL2Gp3.jpg

So sport two piece rotors front and back. I don't think we were expecting that... :)

Does the center console look white now or is that just white paper on top?

The car does not look lowered at all. If anything the gap looks larger than normal from the top of tire to the fender.

Calipers don't seem to have much clearance to the inner wheel. The 18" wheels might not fit.

The front disks are either not larger or only minimally so (possibly two piece for lighter weight). Front calipers look the same as the non performance two cylinder type but painted.

Curious that there is no rear badging. I expected "performance" or "P3D" or something. But nothing!?!?

The car does not look lowered at all. If anything the gap looks larger than normal from the top of tire to the fender.

Calipers don't seem to have much clearance to the inner wheel. The 18" wheels might not fit.

The front disks are either not larger or only minimally so (possibly two piece for lighter weight). Front calipers look the same as the non performance two cylinder type but painted.

Curious that there is no rear badging. I expected "performance" or "P3D" or something. But nothing!?!?

SC will add the badge and spoiler before delivery, if you want them.

Now that we have some idea of what the Performance package at $5K contains as far as the "upgraded" brakes, I don't think it is worth it. It appears the calipers are the same front and back save the red color. The rotor in the front looks marginally bigger (0.5-1.0") and is two pieced for weight saving and better heat resistance. The back rotor was changed to two piece as well but not sure if larger. These rotors could be bought at some point aftermarket. To me, it appears the performance package's major expense is the 20" wheels and summer tires with the longer rear links for correct camber. Does this sound correct?

Now that we have some idea of what the Performance package at $5K contains as far as the "upgraded" brakes, I don't think it is worth it. It appears the calipers are the same front and back save the red color. The rotor in the front looks marginally bigger (0.5-1.0") and is two pieced for weight saving and better heat resistance. The back rotor was changed to two piece as well but not sure if larger. These rotors could be bought at some point aftermarket. To me, it appears the performance package's major expense is the 20" wheels and summer tires with the longer rear links for correct camber. Does this sound correct?

Mostly unfounded opinion: the calipers and possibly knuckles are different due to rotor size...

The 20 inch wheel tire package with links and install is only 4k from Tesla, and the spoiler for an S is 1,500. Need to subtract the cost of the base wheels, tire, links, rotors, and calipers. So there is likely more to the calipers than color.

You also get:

10 mph higher top speed (145->155)
Spoiler and sport pedals (again addable aftermarket easy enough)

And it remains unclear if the 0.39 inch suspension drop is a result of the 5k package only or if all Ps get it (and thus if it's just the result of the control arm change for the 20s, or something else)

Still not really worth the price unless you either track the car or LOVELOVELOVE the Tesla 20s (and especially if both are true- since apart from top speed diff I agree with the guy who says he'd rather use 18s and put his own brake and tire upgrades on for track use)

you also have to remember the suspension is lowered by 10cm which inst much but its safe to assume there is different spring rates at play and possibly even adjusted strut valving. honestly its a really good deal than i initially thought with the front and read 2 piece rotors. as those will cost you $1500 all around at minimum from a reputable manufacture. the truth is i was hoping that the standard performance version would come with the same calipers but in gray. o well, i guess a extra 5k for a car i plan on running into the ground over the next 10 years is not that much in the end.

upload_2018-7-15_10-5-18.png

the calipers are definitely larger. the design is similar but clearly different. the new calipers have casting that show much more strengths is the design and that larger forces will be in play within the system. if anybody doesn't know what they are talking about please don't start spreading bulls**t...that kinda stuff just irritates me as its only hurting those that want to learn.

The center console has protective wrapping for shipping.

Wheel gap is likely because the suspension hasn't settled yet and is exacerbated by the camera angle/evening sunlight.

Tesla has already confirmed through multiple people that the 18's won't fit and this has been beaten to death on multiple threads.

The front rotors are 1.4" larger (355mm vs. 320mm) and they are 2-piece as has been confirmed by Tesla officially on twitter. The calipers are not the same (looking at pictures side-by-side you can see they are different).

No badging because these are test drive vehicles and those get installed post-delivery by the service center.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
you also have to remember the suspension is lowered by 10cm which inst much but its safe to assume there is different spring rates at play and possibly even adjusted strut valving.

1 cm, not 10. 10 would be almost 4 full inches.

So it's not safe to assume why it's that little amount lower at this point, could just be the arms for the 20s, or it could be springs and dampners-but to me if they were going to bother developing and stocking and tracking a whole different set of springs and shocks they'd have dropped it more than 0.39 inches.

honestly its a really good deal than i initially thought with the front and read 2 piece rotors. as those will cost you $1500 all around at minimum from a reputable manufacture

Yeah but that still leaves you paying $3500 for 20s that...aren't awesome and don't fit tires any wider than the 18s... and the other minor differences. As I say, if you will actually get benefit from the brakes (track) and love those specific 20s, it's not a BAD deal... but it's really only the 145->155 change that you can't get for a similar or maybe better price (and maybe better results) in the aftermarket

yea sorry i was thinking mm and wrote down cm lol and no it doesn't leave you with 3500 for 20" wheels and tires...it leaves you 3500 for thats and calipers, suspension, speed upgrade, and all the cosmetic crap.anyone that tracks the car often, it offers more value than the standard P. other wise if you just wanna go fast stoplight to stoplight the standard performance is plenty. hell even the standard awd will do well in that case vs. whats on the street now in the performance category. if your not buying the upgrades package....i would put it in tesla stock....it about to go up to mars. lol

If it is truly upgraded calipers making it a true Big brake kit front and back, then the $5K upgrade is a steal just on that alone. The 20 inch wheels, spoiler and pedals are the bonus! Rather have the 19" wheels though if it would clear the brakes.

Now I can't decide whether to change my order and add the performance upgrade. I like the brakes and whatever else suspension modifications might be there but don't like the 20" wheels. I rather have lighter 18" but those may not fit so even 19" would be better. Don't really want to deal with selling the 20" afterwards. Might be hard to unload those. Wish we had more info and quick before I can no longer change my order.